User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Don't ever let men tell you this is thier world and not a place for you.

I have done just about everything, dry van, loaded/unloaded my own truck, I am an Owner/Op.

I took a break from the OTR and ended up in contruction, heavy equipment, tri-axle dump truck. Learned in a day the basics.

Now I am driving flatbed, hauling steel, local and love it. It's really hard work and I have found ways to work smarter, not harder.

For example: I have to throw a 25lb chain up over a load of steel beams, about 12ft high, you miss and they come down FAST and HARD. I found that clipping a 50ft nylon rope to the last link and throwing the rope over and then pulling the chain over was WAY easier!

I had a bad trainer, I turned him into his safety department when it was all said and done (did not want to and have to restart with another trainer, so I put up with it.) But thats you're choice, I came out of training totally sure of myself because he sucked and did nothing the 3 weeks we were out, thus taught me to manage on my own.

As for running alone, make a few simple rules for safety and live by them.

1. I never stop at rest areas at night. Dangerous and too crowded. If I must stop to use the restroom at night I pull up thru a fuel isle at a major truckstop, well lighted and visiable. I used to even keep a port-a-potty onboard, so I could stop at night and not have to walk the parking lot in the dark.

2. Do not open your door at night if someone is pounding on it, regardless of what they say. Keep it locked, call the local police to come out and check on you.

3. Never get out of your truck without your wallet, keys and cell phone. NO exceptions to this rule!

4. Never stop or pick up anyone. In this day and age, everyone has a cell phone or roadside assistance is nearby. Even females appearing to be stranded onside the road can be decoys!
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@ )
Old 10-16-2006, 04:45 AM
Board Regular
Default good advice exquisitive

one more though! when you do stop at night put your seat belts through the door handles and latch them noone can get in your truck at night! also never open those window vents by your bunks they can put ether in them. i personally always carry one of 3 things: small thing of hairspray, perfume or fds feminine spray in my bra, so any would be attacker can be sprayed directly in the eyes, i always wear good kicking shoes so if I need 2 kick in private area it will hurt enough so i can scream or run fast enough 2 get away. I never had any problems, until a couple of weeks ago and this would be trainer asked 2 come up 2 my motel room 2 discuss trainning well he tried everything else until I literally pushed him out of my room and called and made a police report against him, he was not American Greek Egyptian name of ANDY SOLIMAN. Why do I put it on here? Cuz I was blessed he did not get 2 far with me, but next female may not be so lucky! He is an Owner Operator and was fired by our company, but they have not located him to bring charges against him yet!
Little word of wise females no matter what they guys say stay in public places even to discuss training! I would love 2 run in 2 this little jerk again he will be sore 4 a long time I promise you!
Old 10-16-2006, 04:46 AM
Board Regular
Default good luck

goodluck
Old 10-16-2006, 05:56 AM
Default Trainers

A female friend of mine that I graduated with just got OFF a truck because he thought,He could get lucky....................LOL
She offered to kick his ASS,If it doesnt work out between a female student and a male Trainer .GET OFF THE TRUCK..............................

Good luck ???????????

Pete
Old 10-29-2006, 02:52 PM
Rookie
Default 8 weeks of training?

I'm not even in school, but doing research. I haven't seen a company on-line information that allows 8 weeks of training. Do you know the names of companies that train that long? Also, does anyone know the name of a company(s) that have female trainers?
Nancy
Old 10-29-2006, 11:26 PM
Default TRAINING

Contrary to what others have said on this site,I have had a GREAT
experience at Swift,
At Swift you have 3 1/2 weeks of school to get your CDL,After which you get on a truck with a mentor for another 6-7 weeks,So yes they do have a good training program,Good luck with whichever way you go............

You can call me with questions etc..........

Peter
San Antonio,Tx
210 315 3229
Old 03-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Rookie
Default Be Careful

hmmm
Old 03-18-2007, 04:14 AM
Rookie

i work for roehl transport and the company has some female trainers. i havent heared of any harrassment between male trainers and female students. are training is 20 to 26 days out with trainer then you get your own truck. i just became a trainer myself. give them a call. anymore questions just pm me and ill be glad to help.