User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I've been driving solo since I came out on the road with no major problems. I used to carry my dog with me out on the road, but not this time since she's got cancer. I've also left places where I've felt unsafe to get better rest, and like what was said above, just use your gut. Women's intuition is no joke, and it will lead you right.

Some male drivers/customers/dock workers can be pigs and hassle you. You've got to be strong enough inside to not let it get to you, and like GirlnamedShannon said, don't walk though the lot like you're apologizing - carry your head high and be aggressive. Outside of cat calls and random b/s on the CB, I've never (knock on wood) had an issue at a reputable truck stop with other drivers.

I also choose what truck stops I use carefully, and what cities to stop near (for instance, Dallas is a BAD place to stop at anywhere except a company secured terminal and use caution around Baltimore and Chicago)

Also, for an extra measure of safety, I mount a small kitchen fire extinguisher in my sleeper - amazing how those suckers take the oxygen out of an attacker's lungs 8) But before that scares you, I can tell you I've never had to use it.

~ l

PS - if you flatbed at all, a winch bar that's kept handy is even better than a tire thumper, and is longer to boot! :wink:
Old 09-06-2006, 02:44 AM
Floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I ran solo for the past year, no problems. You'll learn quick if you have a CB what truck stops to stay away from, trust me. Shouldn't tell other drivers you don't know that you run solo, another suggestion is to keep your sleeper curtain closed at all times and toss a baseball cap on the dash. I didn't always follow this advice, but it all depends on how comfortable you are when your out there. I always parked as close to the truck stop as possible, never in the very dark or back rows. I also did the seatbelt through the door trick on my passenger side at all times.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:29 AM

I've been OTR 12 years now as a solo driver in the lower 48 and Canada.
The majority of male truckers out there are great people. They will come to your defense in many situations. Some suggestions I have are:
*Stop in front of the fuel island or someplace close to the fuel island entrance and take care of anything you need before bedtime. Then safely park as close as you safely can.
*Buy a good curtain and put it up immediately when you park before you turn on the bunk light. It is a good precaution. That way there is little chance others will see if you are in the truck alone.
*I always keep a hammer next to my front seat. Never know when you'll need it to coax a pin on your tandems...
*I have my cell phone close all the time. Even a fake phone helps. (Had a creep in a car follow my truck playing with himself in daylight. Picked up my cell phone and slowed so I could see his license plate. He left very quickly.)
*Seatbelt through handles gives you time to react if anyone messes with your truck.
*You've got a air horn, use it if needed. Like I said, there are a lot of really good men out there (and women) who will help.
*Ask someone about the baggie of apple juice hanging out your driver's window. Lot lizard repellant. Open window, they get splashed.
Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:17 AM
Rookie

Be Aware of your surrounding at all times, if you are uncomfortable parked somewhere MOVE, carry yourself with confidence dont walk with your head down and slouched over you will be an easy target, I have driven for the last 2 years solo and team, the only difference is you have to do all the stuff on the truck, put a hammer or tire thumper by the door for just incase, when parked always lock the doors, keep the passenger door locked at all times, a dog is a good idea but you have to remember they require special attention on the road, i wouldn't choice a large breed but a small to medium dog is a good idea, make sure it is a good traveling breed, something you can lift if need be into the truck.. Good luck and God Bless
Old 09-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Rookie

Thank you Ladies

I'd never heard of the apple juice :lol: That is wonderful, and I will DEFINATELY have to remember that one!
Old 09-10-2006, 03:47 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Apple juice??? Never heard that one before. Don't think I want to try it on either. Why do I get the feeling it's been "modified" by human organs???

Old 10-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlnamedShannon
I've never had any real trouble but I've left places I didn't feel comfortable just to be able to sleep better. I've taken my dog with me for company but pets can be a hassle at times and I took her with me more when I was home every weekend, for her sake and mine. Some suggestions though: Loop your seatbelts through the door handles when you go to sleep, it just makes me feel better (especially in places like Dallas when there are an equal number of crackheads and lot lizards as there are drivers), if it's late and you know the only parking is going to be in the north 40, pull through the fuel island (no, I'm not saying block it, I'm saying pull all the way through as if you have fueled) and go inside to get whatever you may need for the night; this will save walking from the very back of the lot, alone; get a port-a-potty to avoid using rest area restrooms, to save time stopping and parking through the day and having to ''beat your bladder'' to get inside to a restroom in the morning.

Most importantly, don't walk through the parking lot, day or night, like you're apologizing for being there; make eye contact and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

wow i always wonder if they had those for the truck id feel better using one of those than a public tolier...where u dump the mess after ward and keep it clean
Old 10-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmegobye
I've been OTR 12 years now as a solo driver in the lower 48 and Canada.
The majority of male truckers out there are great people. They will come to your defense in many situations. Some suggestions I have are:
*Stop in front of the fuel island or someplace close to the fuel island entrance and take care of anything you need before bedtime. Then safely park as close as you safely can.
*Buy a good curtain and put it up immediately when you park before you turn on the bunk light. It is a good precaution. That way there is little chance others will see if you are in the truck alone.
*I always keep a hammer next to my front seat. Never know when you'll need it to coax a pin on your tandems...
*I have my cell phone close all the time. Even a fake phone helps. (Had a creep in a car follow my truck playing with himself in daylight. Picked up my cell phone and slowed so I could see his license plate. He left very quickly.)
*Seatbelt through handles gives you time to react if anyone messes with your truck.
*You've got a air horn, use it if needed. Like I said, there are a lot of really good men out there (and women) who will help.
*Ask someone about the baggie of apple juice hanging out your driver's window. Lot lizard repellant. Open window, they get splashed.
Good luck and enjoy the ride.
so is this where everyone sleep at truck stop, not at nobody parkinglot rest area ...any yall have to make delivers where you have to drive through the ghettos and gangs in la south central etc??
Old 10-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Board Regular

I've driven for 28 months alone. I thoroughly enjoy driving alone. I can't sleep in a moving truck so could never team drive. I've felt safe... However, I did driveaway for 19 of those months 28 months. [Hauling piggybacks and boom loads-new trucks to dealerships] I stayed in motels and flew back. Hence, I couldn't sleep in a truck or stay in truck stops. However, in 2004 I was in freight for four months and am now back to freight for five months in 2006.

Here are my suggestions for being safe:

1) Never tell anyone on the c.b. where you are stopping for the evening. You don't know what type of "wolves" are listening and will follow you there!

2) Always keep something in your truck at night in case you need to urinate. [i.e. 32 oz. cup] That way you don't have to get out of your truck when only the "kookies" are out.

3) Never leave your window open low enough so someone can stick their arm in. I heard of people who were robbed that way. Of course, always lock your doors when you are stopped. I stay in rest areas out west at night and have been VERY SAFE. I hate backing when I'm dead tired and have to worry about ripping peoples mirrors off their trucks.

3) Don't park in Ontario, CA or West Memphis, AR due to an enormous amount of lot lizards-they bring other crime as well. Also, I hear that Atlanta can be bad-although, I've never been there before!

4) When you are in seedy truck stops take your CDL with you. If the cops raid the truck stop for lot lizards-they might ask you what you're doing there. If you have your CDL you can prove you're a driver and not a lot lizard.

5) NEVER walk between the trucks at night. Someone can grab you by the trailers and no one will know until it's too late.

6) Don't encourage someone to come over to b.s. in your truck. You never know what might be coming over.

7) If someone asks you if you are alone NEVER volunteer that information. Try to pretend you have a team driver with you.
8) NEVER TRUST ANYONE. I've led a VERY SHELTERED life and am very trusting. Unfortunately, we aren't all middle class out here driving. There is a large percentage of "white trash". Keep that in mind!!!! White trash thinks differently than middle class individuals. Not trying to be snobby but it's the truth.

9) Keep some sort of weapon. My weapon of choice is oven cleaner. Imagine what that would do to someone if they attack you?

10) I had a female driver friend get raped in a truck stop in broad daylight. She was putting oil into her truck. Another driver [male] grabbed her and dragged her into his truck and repeatedly raped her. Try to be aware of your surroundings AT ALL TIMES.

If you want an awesome job I would recommend diveaway. It's a lot of physical work but it pays MUCH higher than freight [starts at a minimum of 40 cents/per mile] and you never sleep in a truck or stay in a truck stop. They have Union Wages, you get paid more per mile for each truck you haul, you also get 8 hours of layover pay at a minimum of $16 an hour each day if you deliver to a dealership on a weekend and you can't take the trucks apart until Monday. In five years your vested for retirement!!!! Also, you keep your frequent flier miles and get free tickets quickly when you fly all the time. That is not possible with freight jobs.

Our company quit hauling trucks and the competitor who hired me wanted me to move back East. I live in the West and was tired of hauling trucks from the east and not getting West much. I was so lucky to be doing this I was a brand new driver when I had this opportunity. I have driven every gear pattern in my first two years of driving, because you always get brand new trucks with different gear patterns.

That's wonderful experience because then you aren't intimidated when you get into a truck with a different gear pattern. [I hated the automatics and Super 10s.] The Company which hauls Volvos, Macks, Freightliners, Sterlings and Western Stars is Auto Truck out of Joplin, Missouri [just office location- no terminal]. Their number is: (800) 329-2815. Some of their locations are: Springfield, Ohio; Dublin, Virginia; two plants in North Carolina; Garland, Texas and Portland, Oregon. I'm not sure where the rest of them are but that's a start.

Their sister company Active hauls the Kenworths and Peterbilts [don't have their number]. Keep in mind they want you to live within 100 miles of their terminals. So try to figure out where the terminals are and get a friend's address if you don't live by one. They do this so they only have one plane ticket for home time. I would be flown by my old company out west for home time then they had to fly me back to the Volvo plant [Virginia] after home time to go back to work. This way Auto Truck only has one plane ticket for each home time.

If you choose Freight, good luck and best wishes....
Old 10-23-2006, 12:06 AM
Rookie
Default Just want to say thanks!

My Husband and I are going to be going OTR...Soon and there is only one thing that really is hard for me to deal with. We will have to be seperated for three months. Meaning I will have to be solo for a while. I was hoping for any form of info that you think might be important and thanks to some of the info I have already read I feel quite a bit better. Although just would like to know as much as possible. Thank you!