Old 02-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Women driving alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax3683
It seems like most of the stories I hear of Lady drivers are those who are teaming with their husbands...

I'm curious to know about some of you ladies who drive by yourself! (Something I am contemplating doing...)

Do you have a dog or another companion with you?

Do you feel safe out there alone?

I've ridden along with my husband plenty over the years, but have never been out there alone... I love the lifestyle, and I am anxious to get going on the road! But a bit nervous about the being alone thing!
I have been an owner/operator for 27 years and have trucked all over North America BY MYSELF. I truthfully don't like people enough to spend that much time with anyone! LOL

I have never felt threatened by any place I have ever traveled, I currently run in the Canadian Arctic, where there are almost no women at all.

It totally depends on your attitude and the way you act on the road. If you act like a pro, you will be treated like one! I have never been "come on" to, or bothered in anyway "out there". I met my husband of 10 years on the job, he is a heavy equipment operator & thinks what I do is awsome.

Remember there are "pigs" everywhere in life. There is a double standard out there...be PROUD of it...AND hold yourself to that standard! Remember the most important thing..if you ACT like a lady, you will be TREATED like a lady!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 02-27-2007, 01:17 AM
Senior Board Member

wildkat ..
Quote:
Remember there are "pigs" everywhere in life. There is a double standard out there...be PROUD of it...AND hold yourself to that standard! Remember the most important thing..if you ACT like a lady, you will be TREATED like a lady!

AMEN !!!!!!!! .... I couldn't of said it better myself 8) ...... as for a pet - - come this spring I will try taking my mini dachshund with me ... if it doesn't work out for him then he'll just have to stay with my daughter.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 02-27-2007, 01:32 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by for4roses
wildkat ..
Quote:

AMEN !!!!!!!! .... I couldn't of said it better myself 8) ...... as for a pet - - come this spring I will try taking my mini dachshund with me ... if it doesn't work out for him then he'll just have to stay with my daughter.
After 27 years I think I have damned near seen it all...Some of the "women" out here simply disgust me...but then I am pretty old fashioned.

I used to take my cat with me when I ran long haul, she was an endless source of entertainment & company. She made a better watch dog than most dogs cause she was quiet. If somebody came too close to my truck when I was sleeping she would climb up & gently pull my hair till I woke up then LOOK out the window to show me something was up. I was also convinced she KNEW the hours of serv ice regulations better than I did. If I got to going to hard she would pester me until I stopped, seemed she had some concept of time, cause sometimes there was no place to stop at that particular moment & I would tell her "soon" and she would go sit on the jump seat for bout 1/2 hour & if I still didn't stop, well she would pester again. Like she was saying you said "SOON" LOL

I can recall one time we were in Kentucky I believe & it was very hot so I stopped to buy an ice cream cone...they we were...me licking one side of the cone & her on my lap licking the other...caused quite a stir on the radio!

I miss her greatly when I am on the road now, but sh'e getting older now & doesn't like the getting in & out of the truck anymore. She is quite content to just stay at home now and be here when I get back.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 03-03-2007, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Thinking of Driving Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyNorthStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Bullseye

I am 26 and a female tanker so I here all the time of how I don't belong out here and how I am taking some man's job away.
People seriously SAY that...out LOUD to you?? *shakes head*
unbelievable :shock:
Old 03-04-2007, 04:35 AM
Senior Board Member

was reading the whole 4 pages worth of posts..someone on page 1 (I believe it was, said something about carrying a squirt gun loaded with soap). That's a good idea..or another thing is take a spray bottle..fill it up with some water and put some vingar in that..squirt that in the person's eyes. that will hurt like heck. works like pace lol.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Good idea random facts....
Old 03-11-2007, 04:29 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Women driving alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat
I have been an owner/operator for 27 years and have trucked all over North America BY MYSELF. I truthfully don't like people enough to spend that much time with anyone! LOL

I have never felt threatened by any place I have ever traveled, I currently run in the Canadian Arctic, where there are almost no women at all.

It totally depends on your attitude and the way you act on the road. If you act like a pro, you will be treated like one! I have never been "come on" to, or bothered in anyway "out there". I met my husband of 10 years on the job, he is a heavy equipment operator & thinks what I do is awsome.

You are absolutly right, I have always said that if you come out here on the road and act like a floozy and talk that way on the cb you will be treated like a floozy. I have been treated pretty well, all the guys that I work with treat me just like one of the guys

From what I have seen, alot of the women who complain that they get harrassed on the road bring it on themselves, They are the ones who are out there bringing attention to themselves, they are the ones who are on the cb radio acting stupid and they wonder why they recieve negative comments from male drivers. Instead of just ignoring it, they add fuel to the fire by responding to it.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:07 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Hear, hear Shawnee. Act like a lady & you get treated like one! Act like a "floozy" or a "lot lizard" & you will be treated as one! :lol:

Old 03-26-2007, 04:20 AM
Board Regular

I liked the above cat story. My cat is too old also to travel.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:10 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Of Work
I liked the above cat story. My cat is too old also to travel.
Thanks, she rode with me steady for 6 years. I miss her still when I am away. But, fortunately, I am not gone for as long as I used to be, now that the ice roads are closing I am usually home on the weekends. She doesn't like the getting in & out anymore, it scares her. So for her sake, she stays at home now. Got her a companion (kitten) & she seems happier that way.