Default Starter company

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-11-2006, 02:13 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You might want to check with Prime Inc. They have southeast regional, which should get you home every weekend.

Also, since you already have your cdl you'd just go out with a trainer. After a bit it would be team driving until you're ready for your own truck, but........

They treat their drivers like human beings, but stay a company driver.

don't start guys, I said stay a company driver
Old 09-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Rookie

I just graduated from the San Antonio Swift Academy, and was told by a bunch of different people that they make for a good starter company, most last a few months to a year there from what I can tell. I'm giving 'em a year, maybe 2 tops.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Starter Company

I would recommend Swift. I left because they only let you have 4 days a month off. I hate that rule!!! However, after looking around I have to say that a large company has much more to offer than a small company. Most of their equipment is within 3 years old. That way you don't have to worry about the truck being broken down and not driving for a while. I had an APU on my truck this enables you to have heat and air without idling. I have asthma so that was a huge plus.

Since they are the largest publicly held company [Schneider is the largest privately held company] they have shops at every terminal. That way you don't have to wait hours in a truck stop to have your truck repaired. They also pay for showers. I haven't found one other company that pays for showers. That way you don't have to worry about getting the fuel dollars on fuel cards for showers.

I have been searching now for another company for two months and am being too picky!!! I didn't realize all the benefits Swift had until I left. I have to say if it wasn't for the four day off a month rule I'd go back. If you work out of another terminal besides Phoenix they aren't as adament about four days off. However, I went to Phoenix so I could get a new truck. I have 28 months of experience and have been hired by several major companies. Trying to decide what crap I'll put up with. Fortunately, my income has held out for two months. But need to decide have almost taken four companies. Have three offers on the table now.

Also, when you work for a large company you won't have to wait at docks. They charge the shippers/receivers after you've sat for two hours. I was in a Costco Warehouse one time and there had to be 60 trucks sitting there they took me in right away. So there are so many benefits to being with a large company.

Of course, working for Swift you take more than your fair share of crap. Because the experienced drivers hassle new drivers. They forgot that they were new drivers at one time. I'll never have to hear again, "be careful it's a Swift driver, she's backing up."

Good luck and best wishes.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Rookie
Default CFI does NOT offer 'refresher training'

Sorry, Windjammer221 after reading your post "I think cfi offers refresh training. you could call them and ask. might be some info on the new board at www.cfidrivers.com" I had to post. :cry:
I got my CDL in Sept. 2006 after graduating from E.S.D. Trucking School. I worked 21 days for Western Express. I applied to CFI the end of Oct. and was welcomed with open arms. Per the recruiter, 'Wanda' all I needed was a open spot in their 'boot-camp'. I was planning to be in Joplin Mon. 11-13-06. Long story short, this past Tues., I had a message from 'Wanda' saying she needed me to call her to confirm I would be in 'boot-camp' no later than 11-27-06. I had another message later than same afternoon stating she had to speak with me by 8:00 p.m. Weds. morning I had a message stating she needed to talk with me as her boss had reviewed my information and we "need to discuss it." When I called her Weds. afternoon she told me I am "Simply not qualified to work for CFI" however "IF you get 6 months OTR experience do call me back" Yeah, right. I'll call CFI when pigs can fly. :lol:
How can a company be happy to have you one week then tell you that you are not qualified the next? After talking to several companies I wish I had toughed it out with Western Express and completed my training. I also have learned the best way to tell if a recruiter is lying is by the simple fact their lips are moving. What a rip. Everywhere you read 'drivers are in demand' yet when you talk with a company you get placed under a microscope. :roll: