LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2006, 01:20 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracert99
Google Falcon trucking
And, if you're going to talk to FALCON, you might want to talk to Jagerbomber as well. He's leaving there. Unhappy. You might want to find out why before you commit yourself there.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Rookie
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Starter company

Well, I've been doing some checking in my spare time. Millis Transfer looks very promising. Since they have their own school I'd have to come out of pocket $500 and the $2000 would be waived if I gave them a year. They have a low student to trainer ratio. Plus their Kennessaw, GA terminal is closest to me. Even though I already have my CDL-A I'd feel more comfortable starting over. A lot has changed since I got them back in '03. The HOS still bogs my mind. :?

What the best practical miles or HHG miles?

Any other companies to look at? And any tips on that doing that logbook now?
Old 07-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Rookie
Default Starter company

Also have been looking at Western Express. If you already have a CDL but no experience they have a "Learn while you earn" program for about 5 weeks (don't know if a cost goes with that yet). Does anybody have any opinions about this company? Their out of TN. I see them quit a bit on my way to and from my non-trucking job. :?:
Old 07-31-2006, 11:46 PM
Board Regular

Really sure this is a good decision to go out on the road with a teen ager still at home?

If you want to know about Roehl for women, please send me a private message. I will do my best to answer you. Have some patience in getting my response as I don't have time out on the road to answer.

Soladad
Old 08-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Rookie
Default Starter Company

Yes, it's a good idea. I've been wanting to since she was 8 and have been trying since she was 12. We both live with my Grandmother and my Mom's lives only 5 miles away. So there's no problem there. And there's a company close to home where I'd be home every weekend but I can't get any training because they don't put males and females together in a truck unless their married. So I'm trying to get my feet wet and after awhile try again with them. But I still don't want to be out forever and never get home. Two weeks is understandable. So I'm trying to find a company that has a terminal close around the state of AL if at all possible.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:12 AM
Senior Board Member

dquietype .... have you found a company that best suits you :?: ... I know if you take your time you will sign on with the best one for you and your daughter. Just wanting to see how your doing :?:

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 08-20-2006, 03:05 PM
Rookie

Hi, for4roses! Haven't found a company yet. Trying to find one that's going to school me all over again (which is no problem with me at all!). Leaning towards flatbed. (If I can get experience with those then I have a very strong opportunity with a company that a family member works for in the same city as my desk job) BUT have to get the experience first. Then it's a higher chance of getting on there.

ROEHL.......Have talked to a female Roehl driver. Sounds good so far but only drawback I have with that is training would be in Wisconsin. Also she mentioned about the weight of the tarps could be a problem. I figure you don't know until you try regardless of what anybody says. You've got to learn somewhere. She mentioned they have curtain-side too. (Don't have any idea about those.) I just know I have to know about securement and tarping with the company here around home. I see a positive on their website for the flatbed division is that they run the area that I am VERY interesting in. Don't know about the curtain side though and how all that's unloaded, etc. When I get my mind set then I'll give the recruiter a call.

WERNER........I see that Werner has a trucking division. I read in a message around here that the flatbedders only get paid $0.24 a mile but has better freight than van. Haven't checked to much into them. The drawback I have with them is their paperless logs. I need to learn how to do all of that (especially for other companies) and I don't see that happening regardless of how I've been told it's not hard to learn how to do!
They do training or orientation (not exact on which one) closest to me out of Atlanta.

MCELROY.......They are a flatbed company that's within a decent mile radius from me. They get you home every weekend but I don't know if they train you out of school. I think they do. But haven't had a chance to check them out any further. Looking for schooling again.

MILLIS TRANSFER.......They offer their own schooling but you got to stay with them a year to waive what you don't pay. ($500 u pay, $2000 waived). They pull vans. They have a Hometime Promise deal. Don't know how much of it is fact or fiction though. Their out of of Cartersville above Atlanta.

MAVERICK......They offer schooling. Little Rock. Don't know their lanes though. Doesn't mention anything about that on the site that I've noticed. Or even how much the schooling is and do they do that contract thing too? I've asked for info so I'm waiting on that. ( I prefer hardcopy). They seem pretty good too. They have a terminal or similar in North Alabama so that would be good.

So that's how things are going for right now. There may be one or two more on my list that I didn't mention. Trying to just take my time and not be impatient about things. Trying to come close to making a good choice. As close to good as possible. So I'm not trying to rush it.
All info is definitely appreciated and welcomed! Please send some my way when you think of any!

PS. Yes, I've heard the stories about flatbedding being hard for the ladies and that the tarps are heavy and it's a lot of hard work...blah blah.
But I want to try. Can't fault anybody for trying! Any lady flatbedders out there, I want to hear about your experience or experiences, tips, etc. especially when you started out. (PM please!)
Thanks!!!!!
Old 08-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Board Regular

Might be best to go with one that has a terminal closest to your house.

I dont think you need to go back to school if youve already been trained. Just a refresher :?:
Old 08-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Rookie
Default starter company

Don't have any that offer refresher courses. Just have to start school all over. Also, if I did go through a school again, I'd have to find one that could either work around my job or I'd just have to quit (not presently possible just yet) and go full time. Sooooo.......still figuring on that one. Thanks for the idea!
Old 08-31-2006, 11:30 AM
Rookie

I think cfi offers refresh traning. you could call them and ask. might be some info on the new board at www.cfidrivers.com