User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CDL training in 14 days

before you say "what a scam" atleast hear me out

i cant afford to go to any school really, but im going to, to make some real money

i dont need job placement, i work for UPS freight and once i get a driving bid ill make more then twice what i make now in 2 years time

now, this is the cheapest school i know of...$3,095, 14 days of training 7am-330pm

C-1 is only an 18 day class, many finish in less...and C-1 is suppose to be one of the best schools

also, im not completely green...i can already back trailers damn near perfect, i started driving a jockey truck almost 2 years ago....YES i know its different then a day cab or sleeper but i know ill be able to adjust

i already have a knowledge of trucks....i know that this wont be the best trianing, but its the cheapest...if i can get my CDL through this place, ill be able to practice with my companys equipment for free, to really learn what im doing

advice? is this a stupid thing to do or no? some people can do it without going to school at all
Old 05-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird135 View Post

i cant afford to go to any school really, but im going to, to make some real money

i dont need job placement, i work for UPS freight and once i get a driving bid ill make more then twice what i make now in 2 years time

now, this is the cheapest school i know of...$3,095, 14 days of training 7am-330pm

C-1 is only an 18 day class, many finish in less...and C-1 is suppose to be one of the best schools

also, im not completely green...i can already back trailers damn near perfect, i started driving a jockey truck almost 2 years ago....YES i know its different then a day cab or sleeper but i know ill be able to adjust

i already have a knowledge of trucks....i know that this wont be the best trianing, but its the cheapest...if i can get my CDL through this place, ill be able to practice with my companys equipment for free, to really learn what im doing

advice? is this a stupid thing to do or no? some people can do it without going to school at all
sounds like you have nothing to lose. go for it!
Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird135 View Post

I went to one of those type of schools back in 1997, in Sun Prairie, WI. It was a CDL mill in the truest sense of the term. They really do nothing but teach you how to pass the test.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Rookie

freebird what state do you live in ?
Old 06-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Rookie

indianapolis indiana
Old 06-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Rookie
Location: God's Kingdom but I frequent Kansas at least once a month
Thumbs up

I'm not completely green...i can already back trailers damn near perfect, i started driving a jockey truck almost 2 years ago....YES i know its different then a day cab or sleeper but i know ill be able to adjust

advice? is this a stupid thing to do or no? some people can do it without going to school at all[/quote]

I went through a 3 week school 17 yrs ago. It was very stressful to get it down that quick, for me. However you already have some backing experience so I think you will do just fine. I'm making some assumptions that you can adjust to the different angles of the different tractors and trailer lengths. As a trainer I see some guys who can visualize the angles and make the changes on the fly, others who have to use a set, practiced, maneuver each time. With a 10 ft spread axle you learn to make changes on the fly real quick as it pivots on one axle then the other with the sandy spots and potholes causing the trailer to change relative length in the middle of the process. Good Luck, I think you will do fine. Keep in mind that these schools are misnamed, and should be called CDL school, because they will only teach you to pass the CDL test. The real training will begin when you get out in your job, if your employer has a training program I would advise using it, even then the real training starts when you get out on your own.
Lord may I grow to become a Wise, Good, man

Last edited by semicomputing; 06-02-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:47 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by semicomputing View Post

I went through a 3 week school 17 yrs ago. It was very stressful to get it down that quick, for me. However you already have some backing experience so I think you will do just fine. I'm making some assumptions that you can adjust to the different angles of the different tractors and trailer lengths. As a trainer I see some guys who can visualize the angles and make the changes on the fly, others who have to use a set, practiced, maneuver each time. With a 10 ft spread axle you learn to make changes on the fly real quick as it pivots on one axle then the other with the sandy spots and potholes causing the trailer to change relative length in the middle of the process. Good Luck, I think you will do fine. Keep in mind that these schools are misnamed, and should be called CDL school, because they will only teach you to pass the CDL test. The real training will begin when you get out in your job, if your employer has a training program I would advise using it, even then the real training starts when you get out on your own.
thanks for the reply...unfortunately my company doesnt have a training program

like i said the only semi i have drove is a yard jockey truck.....i was told i picked it up very fast..i also didnt have any problem going from 28 foot pups to 42 48 or 53 foot trailers......never have done a spread axle

but you are right, a sleeper will back different, but i think i can adjust to it

by the way i decided on C 1 here in indianapolis....3 weeks, $4000....they have a pretty good reputation, and i have read nothing bad about them on the internet.....and know a couple guys who went though them and recommend it
Old 06-04-2009, 05:08 AM
Rookie

Have you looked into a student loan or any other kind of loan to get proper training? If you're going to make the money you say you will a small loan payment shouldn't be a problem to swing after landing the job you want.

The cost of the schooling may earn you a tax break but maybe not if they don't consider you to be a truck driver in the first place.

I don't think the CDL extruding machine is a good idea. There has to be other options.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Rookie
Default You know 50% of what any CDL School will teach you.

Most of what any CDL school will teach you is the minimum of 125 points you will need to point out in a PTI, how to shift (kinda sorta), how to back (kinda sorta) enough to pass the CDL test plus of course the answers to the written test, and hopefully some log schooling.
Now let's see you can shift through low range from driving around the UPS yard, you can back under changing conditions (28' - 53' trailers)

If UPS will take you with a CDL taught from any school, use the cheapest one you can find, you already know 50% of what they are going to teach you. Your biggest training will be mountains, driving to fast for conditions, high volume traffic, allowing enough following distance and basic driver protocols between fellow drivers, which CDL school will not teach you. If you need help on Log schooling check out Kellys regulations book complete with interpretations and commonly asked questions. If you need further help contact me at [email protected] and I will send you some information and try to answer your questions.

If your state requires a serpentine back, an S shaped back around a barrel to the right then a barrel to the left and then straight into a spot, you may need some practice on that. Not all states require it.
You will need an experienced UPS driver to be able to call with questions about how to do company things that you may be unfamiliar with..
As to the protocol out here on the open road, put your CB on channel 19 and anytime you do something wrong you'll get more free advise than you care for. Hope your skin is thick. Some of these guys know how to drive 3 or 4 trucks at once by remote control over the cb.

Last edited by semicomputing; 06-04-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Rookie
Default Read the yellow signs

In my opinion these general rules should help you on the driving out on the open road, they are only a suggestion and I'm sure will be added to and/or ridiculed. As far as the mountain driving and driving to fast for conditions read the yellow signs, do that speed limit or 5-10 under for less than ideal conditions. Mountains: they usually give you a recommended speed, use it along with your jake brake and if you are on your service brakes more than 50% of the time you picked to high a gear. Usually use the same gear or one less gear for the downgrade that you used for the upgrade.
Use 4 +/- 1 trucklength for your following distance, and remember to allow 2-3 trucklengths before return to your lane when passing someone especially a fellow driver.
These techniques can be better taught with a trainer allowing you hands on experience under supervision but if you just run Western Oh, In, Il areas you probably don't need the mountain training as much.
Good Luck in your venture, it sounds like you will do fine.