User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Schools in s. east florida

Has anyone been to or heard of Mcfatter tech in broward county. They are cheaper than anyone else but longer. How is that possiable?
Old 11-28-2008, 11:55 PM
Rookie

I am not sure about them but, you might want to check out National Training Inc which is in the Green Cove Springs and Jacksonville area. I have only heard good things about them. BOL
Old 04-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster man View Post
Has anyone been to or heard of Mcfatter tech in broward county. They are cheaper than anyone else but longer. How is that possiable?
Wow! You have actually managed to find anyone to respond. Nobody even responded to my emails yet.

If you don't mid. What did they quote you? How long is their program? Who else did you find perhaps may be in Palm Beach County?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:09 AM
Board Regular

1st Post Here...

Starting at McFatter in the May 13th class. 12 per class, one instructor. When I asked how they "road train" all 12 with only one CDL-A that has to ride shotgun, they told me they "fast track" 3 of the students into their CDL's and THEY ride in the other trucks. 9 week day (full time 7am - 2pm) class or 14 week evening (m-th + sat). 320 hour course including 1,000 mi road time (I wonder if the 1000 miles are ALL behind the wheel, or any time in a school rig counts). State approved curriculum. I spoke with the guy who supervises this curriculum at the State Board of Ed, and he told me there's not such thing as a "DOT Approved" course, but that the curriculum covers everything the state considers mandatory for the job field. The School/Course is not "PDTI approved", but the textbook they use IS.

$1,725 + $100 for books and materials (text book, logbook, tire thumper, air pressure gauge, 2 federal regs books). I believe the course price includes CDL skills testing.

You must have a CDL-A permit - written tests, CDL-A & Air Brakes minimum - I did all the endorsements except hazmat, (which is only a 30 day permit and TSA applications aren't submitted until you HAVE the actual CDL). You must get a DOT Physical Clearance (and I was frankly surprised at the "clearance mill" exam I got - read an eye chart, touch toes, BP, urine test for sugar and blood - in and out in 5 minutes - I wonder how many "medically compromised" drivers this guy gives 2 year med cards to). Mandatory drug test at the beginning of the class.

This works for ME (as opposed to becoming an "indentured servant" for one of the trucking companies schools) as I can work my (soon-to-be) old profession in the afternoons/evenings, sleep at home without being in some fleabag hotel, wrap up my foreclosure/bankruptcy in the process, and just get ready to hit the road later in the fall.

BE ADVISED - most of the "majors" that hire newbs - DO NOT HIRE out of SoFla, as they really don't have routes to get your down here for your "home time". I have an address in Atlanta also (a close friend I rent a room from in his house) to use when I start job hunting. After my foreclosure, I'm going to essentially be "homeless" anyway - no wife/girlfriend and nothing that ties me to the area here - so I'M ready to just go our for a year with someone and not worry about "getting home" to anywhere in particular.

Need any more info - PM me.

Rick
Old 05-02-2009, 06:14 AM
Rookie

Hey Rick. I went to Mcfatter. They are no joke! there was only one instructor for 12 of us , but they are on top of you. There are only two guys in a truck. you drive around this yard for it seems like for ever!!!! I think it was 4 or so weeks. the you go out on the road for 4 weeks with only 2 guys in the truck and drive around. Each student gets 1000 miles behind the wheel!!!! They are strict as hell! I don't remember how many times i was yelled at! out of my class of 12 , only 9 passed. I don't think they mind kicking you out if you can't do it!
Old 05-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster man View Post
Hey Rick. I went to Mcfatter. They are no joke! there was only one instructor for 12 of us , but they are on top of you. There are only two guys in a truck. you drive around this yard for it seems like for ever!!!! I think it was 4 or so weeks. the you go out on the road for 4 weeks with only 2 guys in the truck and drive around. Each student gets 1000 miles behind the wheel!!!! They are strict as hell! I don't remember how many times i was yelled at! out of my class of 12 , only 9 passed. I don't think they mind kicking you out if you can't do it!
Ran into one of the instructors last week, and was able to get some clues about how it works. I was wondering how you could get the road time they talk about - with only 1 instructor. He told me the top 1/2 of the class takes the CDL @ 5 weeks, and then rides co-pilot for the guys who haven't tested yet.

Going down to Port Everglades on Monday to apply for a TWIC - will have it by graduation, and make the HazMat background check less expensive and almost immediate - so I can enter the job hunt with both a HazMat AND a TWIC. I've driven a large RV and Bus before, so the yard time for backing/parking/docking is where I'm really going to need to "bone up", as road work should be really similar to driving a large bus (adding the offtracking of the trailer into the equation).

I've had the textbook for a few weeks now, and have almost worked my way through the entire book. Also have a friend who's checking to see if I can do a "ride-along" with him, while I'm waiting for May 13 to roll around.

Pretty psyched about the whole thing. I'm in a foreclosure and starting a bankruptcy, so I'm looking forward to getting through school, getting my personal business concluded, throwing what's left into storage and GETTING THE F OUT OF FLORIDA...

Rick
Old 06-28-2009, 06:24 AM
Rookie

Hey Rick. Have you takin the course yet?