User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2007, 01:14 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default IITR in Oregon, my experience

I just graduated from IITR (http://www.iitr.net/) and thought I'd share the goods. It's a 4 week, 160 hour program that costs $4,500. Tuition included a new 2008 Rand McNally MCA, FMCSR book, the excellent Bumper to Bumper textbook, a DMV printout, and various tchotchkes. They have 5 campuses in Oregon: Clackamas, Eugene, Medford, Bend, and Albany. I went to Albany, where the class size is limited to 6 students, which was really nice. The other campuses have larger class sizes. My instructor was a 2.5 million mile O/O, and he had a lot of wisdom to pass on that wasn't in the curriculum.

The first day and a half were videos teaching to the written CDL tests, along with open book quizzes. Then half a day off to take the tests on our own at DMV and get our permits. The school requires all endorsements before you can graduate. The rest of the week taught log books and trip planning, plus videos on backing, turning, load securement, safety, etc.

The second week got us out in the yard primarily for pre-trips and backing with a 27 foot trailer, which is what we'd use for the CDL test. We broke into 2 groups and 3 of us would back while the other 3 did pre-trips. We were also able to practice coupling/uncoupling singles and doubles, and sliding fifth wheels and trailer tandems. Oregon only requires a straight back and a sight-side angle back for the CDL test, so that was all we were taught. But once we'd gotten the hang of those two backs, the instructor let us do any setup we wanted. Instruction was surprisingly hands-off when it came to backing, although no one seemed to mind. I had a few years' experience with trailer backing, and once I got a feel for the rig, I was able to do some coaching for the other guys in my group. We had two days off for Christmas Eve and Christmas, so we got shorted on some yard time in order to get all of our drives in, but still most of us were decent backers by the time we were done.

Weeks 3 and 4 were nothing but on the road, all day every day, and here's where I think IITR's program shines. Our tractors were both International Eagles with 10-speeds, but other campuses have other makes, and, I believe, some 9-speeds. There's a strict 3-1 student/instructor ratio (only 2 seatbelts in the sleepers, even), so an instructor from another campus came up with his truck. From day 1, one truck was pulling a 48 foot trailer and the other was pulling doubles, and each student drove both rigs every day. All trailers were loaded with water barrels so both rigs were grossing around 60,000 pounds. This really affected how they behaved on hills, and shifting on hills was a major portion of our road training.

They seemed pretty serious about job placement. Graduates get job placement assistance for life, and they'll be checking in with us once a week for our first 90 days out of school. We only had to listen to 2 recruiters, and they had to come in during lunch (and provide lunch).

One thing I learned is that 160 hours is the bare minimum to make a competent entry-level driver, and such a program has basically no choice but to simply teach students how to pass a CDL test. Although students who fail the CDL can get an extra week of instruction for free, consisting of driving with the instructor after he's done with school for the day. Even with the limitations of time, I think this was a quality school and much more than a CDL mill. I feel very confident going into my new career.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:15 AM

Freddy,

This was very good information you gave on ITTR for those of us considering a school. Congratulations on passing and getting your CDL and which company are you going to drive for.

Brad
Old 12-31-2007, 09:46 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad M
This was very good information you gave on ITTR for those of us considering a school. Congratulations on passing and getting your CDL and which company are you going to drive for.
Thanks, Brad. I'll be driving for Gordon. Going to orientation on Jan. 2nd in Pacific, WA.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:08 PM

You made a great selection with Gordon. I am looking at them or Watkins/Shepard.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Rookie

Freddy

How are things going @ Gordon? I hear a lot of good things about them.

Waiting for a update.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:13 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmb
How are things going @ Gordon? I hear a lot of good things about them.
Funny you should ask. I just got done with orientation a few hours ago. Gordon has student drivers attend one day of orientation, then out with a finisher for a month, then the last two and a half days of orientation.

Training was excellent. My finisher had driven for 33 years, 18 of which were with Gordon. I learned more than I could've hoped to, made possible by the fact that he was in the jump seat every minute I was driving.

I'm not really in a position to make much of a judgement, since I haven't been out on my own yet, but I'm very impressed with what I've seen, so far. All of the support staff seem to know their jobs very well, and almost every driver I've met is happy. A lot are downright enthusiastic. In fact, I heard Swift used to put up their new drivers in the same hotel as Gordon uses (nice place, by the way, and 1 driver per room), but they changed hotels because the Swifties would drop out of orientation after talking to Gordon guys.

We've all been treated very well. Orientation was in Pacific, WA, but my assigned truck is in Medford, OR. They told me to get a ride with one of the drivers from my class who's heading south. His truck needs some odds and ends from the shop before he can leave, so we're delayed until tomorrow. I think a lot of companies would say, "you've got a truck with two bunks, sleep there," but Gordon sent us back to the hotel for another night.

I'm really looking forward to getting out there in my own truck. I sure picked a tough winter to start, but I'm convinced that I'm with the right company.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the update, keep us posted, it will be interesting to hear about your adventures.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:54 AM

Hi Freddy,

How is the driving going for you with Gordon?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:46 AM
Rookie

Lovin' every mile of it, Brad. Personally, my first two weeks solo were rough, but I got on top of the learning curve in fairly short order. Adjusting to OTR life wasn't a big deal for me, thank goodness, and I actually quite enjoy it.

As far as Gordon goes, I've been solo for 2 1/2 months, and never had an even halfway serious conflict. I've run 100% legal, and never been asked to do otherwise. I've gotten home on the day I request every time (now I've cursed myself ). Everybody's been cool and helpful, seems like the "driver-oriented company" hype is more than just hype.

Those looking for mega-miles may want to look elsewhere. They say average is 2500/week, and I've been averaging 2200, but that's all been in the slow season. I don't have rent/mortgage or car payments or anyone to support, so easy going is the way for me. I'm a happy rookie.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Rookie

I am in the process of getting registered at IITR myself. Originally I was simply interested in obtaining a CDL, but once I did some research and spoke with a recruiter, it just made too much sense to dive i and go for it. I can't see a downside to it.

My main question at this point would involve job placement. Were you placed with Gordon through the school, Freddy?