User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Good for you Yankee!

I've heard good things about Fox Valley Technical School's Truck driving program.

In the early 80's I attended Sun Prairie Diesel Driving School. My experience was similiar to the Rev's.

I left the transportation industry in the mid-80's and got back into it 20-years later.

In order to get my feet back into big-rigging, I attended RDTC in 2004. Good school--much better than my experience with Sun Prairie. (For what it's worth, Roehl is a good OTR company to start out with...and perhaps stay with if it works for you.)

Best to you as you begin your OTR journeys!
Old 03-20-2010, 01:38 AM
Rookie
Default Getting ready to start school!

Well, the long awaited schooling time has arrived! I am finally leaving to attend Fox Vally tech. for the 10 week course!. Not only did I get the state of Wisconsin to pay for the schooling but also the physical, permits, books,and final DMV licensing. They also are paying for all lodging and food!. My total out of pocket expense is $0! well, except for the gas to get there. That's what I call a good price education!. I researched Fox and their accredited school has a real good reputation with all 9 local trucking companies in my immediate area. I will be mostly wanting PUD work as I am married (my wife found out about about the lot lizards). Jobs in Wisconsin are scarce! My wife and I even saw a pimp driving a VW in Janesville!. When you see stuff like that you know the end is near! LOL. Anyway In case anyone is interested I will be posting updates on my classes and if you are lucky I will even have video of my first back up! (I just hope your not parked behind me)

Last edited by Yankee; 03-20-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:54 AM
Rookie

Gratz and good luck!
Old 03-21-2010, 12:51 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

For those of you, such as "mawius".

I spent time as a trainer for a couple of companies I worked for. I had several graduates from Sun Prairie. Memory serves me right, 2 of them could not even find reverse on the shifter, much less, back up. I honestly do not know how they managed to even get a CDL. I ended up starting them off with "THIS IS A TRUCK". The one girl I had from Fox Valley Tech... I had almost nothing at all to do. She already knew what she was doing. There were only a few times that I was able to give her any advice. She could have gotten in a truck all by herself, without any finishing touches. At the time, Fox Valley Tech was $1500 and Sun Prairie was $3000. I think you'll spend over $4000 at Sun Prairie now.

Now, make your choice.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Rookie
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
For those of you, such as "mawius".

I spent time as a trainer for a couple of companies I worked for. I had several graduates from Sun Prairie. Memory serves me right, 2 of them could not even find reverse on the shifter, much less, back up. I honestly do not know how they managed to even get a CDL. I ended up starting them off with "THIS IS A TRUCK". The one girl I had from Fox Valley Tech... I had almost nothing at all to do. She already knew what she was doing. There were only a few times that I was able to give her any advice. She could have gotten in a truck all by herself, without any finishing touches. At the time, Fox Valley Tech was $1500 and Sun Prairie was $3000. I think you'll spend over $4000 at Sun Prairie now.

Now, make your choice.
I believe ya!, When I started calling schools in Wisconsin I was armed with questions I had learned here on this forum. I called Sun Prairie and spoke to someone in their business office. I let them know I was looking at their facility as well as Fox Vally Tech. I asked Sun Prairie the total cost of their program and it was MORE then $4000. I then asked how many behind the wheel DRIVEING hours of training I would be receiving and the sales guy I spoke to stalled, put me on hold for a few minutes returned and said everyone is at lunch right now and he didn't have that information but if I would visit the school and take the "tour" MABY someone there could find out for me (kinda reminded me of a used car salesman I met in Brooklyn). The driving time at Fox Vally is hundreds of hours, including many night hours of driving time and a max of 3 students per trainer in the driving part. The Fox Vally school cost is $2,013.60 not including your houseing,food, books, DOT physical/drug testing and other stuff, it still comes out to much less then $4,000. I will say though, Sun Prairies school schedule does give their students plenty of free time. Fox classes are 43 hours per week, Monday through Friday for 10 weeks, totaling 430 hours.Upon completion of this 10-week program, you leave the school with all the necessary skills to have earned your Commercial Driver's License (CDL), a certificate of program completion, a College Technical- Diploma, and a Professional Truck Driver Institute (PTDI) Certification. I feel I made the "smart" decision of attending Fox. And this Wisconsin job service training payment of 100% is a nice thing and takes the financial burden off any new driveing career. (I sure was glad I found this forum and all the valuable insights and information it contained It sure came in handy!) I also have spent some hours pounding the pavement speaking with all the local trucking companies in my area. I asked them if they would hire a graduate of Fox Vally, They responded although we hire from all schools, we prefer our new drivers with little or no experience come from the Fox program. I also was informed that many of the local companies send their employed drivers to Fox for advanced skid pad training. My family is luckier then most in this economy. We have no kids, My wife is a 20 year R.N. supervisor with a wonderful income, Our home and property is paid in full and we are debt free. No car payments etc. That at least for me removes much of the stress of spending 10 weeks at the school with no income. I look forward to letting you all know how my school training progresses, I am a old dog and you know what they say about teaching a old dog new tricks! LOL. Included here is a video I just had to share. I think it might have been a new student truck driver at the wheel of this truck! ENJOY!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie2oG4pFrXk

Last edited by Yankee; 03-21-2010 at 03:39 PM.