User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Can you tell me please how bad is Diesel Driving School in Sun Prairie, WI? And what’s so bad there?
Appleton sounds really good, but its 10 weeks. I can afford tuitions, but I don’t think I can afford not to work for 10 weeks and pay rent for 10 weeks.
I live in Madison and I wouldn’t have to pay rent if I’ll go to Sun Prairies, plus their classes only 2 or 4 weeks. I was considering doing 2 weeks classes. I plan to get permit on my own and then just do 2 weeks of classes. I have experience driving only small cars, but I have 5 years of experience driving manual transmission cars.
What do you think? What should I do?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:23 PM

I am in the Appleton school right now. It is worth its weight in gold. I think ist also alot cheaper than Sun Praire too. My class is 2400. and its alot of driving time compared to the 20 hours you will get from the other. Dont waste your time - I looked there too. Fox Valley Tech is PDTI certified, they have skid pad training (huge plus), and a huge variety of equipment with about every transmission you can think of. They also have a very nice in house training range, not a gravel parking lot. Stop by the school and take a first hand look before you decide.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:59 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawius
Can you tell me please how bad is Diesel Driving School in Sun Prairie, WI? And what’s so bad there?
Sun Prairie will teach you how to pass your CDL test - that's about it. They expect that you will go to a "finishing company" who will actually teach you how to drive a truck. They actually spend about 2 days going over the written CDL exam - actually giving you the answers right off the actual exam.

Quote:
Appleton sounds really good, but its 10 weeks. I can afford tuitions, but I don’t think I can afford not to work for 10 weeks and pay rent for 10 weeks.
You'll leave Appleton knowing how to drive a truck.

Quote:
I live in Madison and I wouldn’t have to pay rent if I’ll go to Sun Prairies, plus their classes only 2 or 4 weeks. I was considering doing 2 weeks classes. I plan to get permit on my own and then just do 2 weeks of classes.
If that's the case, you'll get absolutely nothing out of Sun Prairie. They are a CDL Mill.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLF RIVER
and its alot of driving time compared to the 20 hours you will get from the other.
I left Sun Prairie with a CDL and about an hour of driving time on actual streets behind the wheel of a semi truck. The rest of my "driving time" was spent in their parking lot. :roll:
Old 02-29-2008, 04:56 AM
Rookie

Thanks guys! Now I don’t know what to do … Will see…
Any reviews about Millis Training Institude Richfield WI?
Probably will look also at Roehl… looks like they have only 3 weeks classes.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:31 PM

More is better than less. Roehl is a very short course to teach only the basics and get your cdl. I have never drove a semi before this class. I wouldnt hesitate to jump in one and run to AZ right now. FVTC will teach you way more than you thought possible.

Appartments are cheap in the Neenah / Menasha area, hotel it for a few nights a week. There are students in my class driving 1.5 hrs each way everyday.

Call the school and talk to Rob Behnke (lead instructor) he might have some thoughts on housing ideas. De Boer trains all their students there too. See if they will sponsor you. We just had a few drivers from Deboer and they were actually from Georgia. The De Boer class is shorter in length. Its only 4 weeks but they work their tails off. Alot of driving every day. I see it first hand.

If you pay for school on your own and have a clean record alot of doors will be open for you right after graduation. You will be able to some what pick and choose who you work for.If you go into a company sposored school they own you for a year (min) and most time pay you crap ola.
If you leave that company you will owe them for your school too. Pay me now or pay me later type thing.

Im telling ya - the 10 week thing seemed super long to me too. Like what am I going to learn that takes that long. Im wishing is was actually a little longer. We missed alot of days due to the snow. School actually closed for a couple of days. And a few days we couldnt drive on the roads.

The coolest thing about FVTC is its a self paced class - you get out of it what you put into it. They will teach you anything you need or want to know - just ask. I wanted to paralle (sp) park a tractor and trailer - now I can. Stupid stuff like that, you may never use it but guess what I can if I have too. The other schools you mentioned wont take that kind of time to teach you those things.

Enough of the SOAP BOX - good luck
Old 03-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Rookie

Thanks WOLF RIVER!!!
I will decide something… I’m not in a big hurry right now… I’m only considering and researching…
Thanks again!
Old 05-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Default Fox Valley Technical College

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawius
Thanks WOLF RIVER!!!
I will decide something… I’m not in a big hurry right now… I’m only considering and researching…
Thanks again!
Wolf River is giving you great information.
I am currently a student at Fox Valley Technical College Truck Driving Program. http://fvtc.edu/truckdriving.

I just finished my 4th week and have learned alot.
I do NOT understand how these CDL mills can do what they do. how can anyone get enough training in 4 weeks to consider themselves a qualified driver. I will be getting my CDL this week and still have 6 weeks of training to go. FVTC hits on about anything and everything you will encounter and they stress the importance on safety. Which is necessary in this industry.

I actually look forward to going to school everyday and will miss the place when i graduate.

You owe it to your self to check into FVTC. you are selling yourself short by going to a 4 week program at anywhere that is not hiring you. Sun Prairie will just give enough training to make you dangerous to yourself and others.

At FVTC you will leave with the confidence and experience you need to start your driving career.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Rookie
Exclamation

I am going to the Fox Valley Technical College Truck Driving Program in Appleton. The Wisconsin Job service has a program in witch all your tuition is paid in full by the state for state residents. This is not a loan so no debt!. All I have to pay for is my lodging and food. I visited the college as well as sun Prairie and compared to fox valley the sun prairie school looks like a ghetto! LOL. There are income restrictions as well as other hoops you have to jump through to get the money but they weren't bad. I am looking forward to starting school there! I wil let ya all know how I make out!
Old 11-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Senior Board Member

FVTC is an excellent school.

It's not a "CDL mill".

Good luck with your education, and since I'm in Appleton, maybe I'll see you on the road "practicing".