User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007, 12:25 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saylor
I am looking into truck driving schools. I have talked to Swift and also a school in Lebanon Tn. Their cost is around the $4000.00 which I can’t afford. What I have read about the Swift doesn’t sound too exciting. The Tennessee Tech sound good but I would like to know more about the jobs situation and how you get the on-hand driving experience.
What about the jobs situation? I would suggest looking for a company on your own, and not relying on the head hunters that come to the schools. Search through this forum and others to get an overall feel for the companies.

And... you get the hands-on experience by DOING... spend a lot of time on log books, rules, regulations, driving, etc... not sure what exactly you are asking...

Call the school and the peeps there can answer your questions... they're really cool down there.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Rookie
Default CFI/Con Way

I am considering appling to CFI. Do you know how they are for new drivers?
Old 11-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Rookie

I am a recent grad from Tennessee Technology Center Nashville. Great school. It is about 1200.00, there is 8 students per class. You will need to get your CDL learners permit before registering complete with physical. You cant get one with out the other. There is a waiting list to get in but if you get all the required paper work in you jump over people on the list who don't have there paper work done. This is a great school the instructors each have 25 + years over the road and they are great at teaching you everything you need to know. They are state licenced third party testers. This means at the end of the 7 weeks they will give you your driving tests for the state in the trucks you have spent 7 weeks in on the same course you have been driving on. To go to this school you have to be a resident of TN. One more thing as soon as you get in class ask for a Nafie wilder grant, every student is eligible and it is worth 665.00. As far as requiters, Star, Western, Stevens, US Express, Falcon, Colonial, Trans Am, Rosedale, Werner, Interstate. There was about 15 total. The school helps with faxing applications. These Instructors want you to have multiple job offers before you graduate.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Rookie
Default Subject

Thanks Dirt for your information on Tennessee Tech. I have all my paper work in with my learner permit, DOT physical etc and hope to make the Jan 2, 08 classes. If I don’t make the Jan class then I should get into the next one. Classes last for 7 weeks so the next class is about 8 weeks later. In my research they seemed to be my best choice. I also had talked to Christine the CFI Recruiter and she said that they accept students from TT. I hope to get on at CFI after school. They are my first choice.

Thanks for the information on the Nafie Wilder Grant. I need all the help I can get. Also I have talked to Al Bentley one of the driving instructors at TT and he was real helpful with information. He said that Averit Express also hires from the school. I am only 10 minutes from them. Their web site information says that they require 3 month driving experience but Al said they hire new drivers from TT.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Rookie

Averitt did send a recruiter in to talk to us. They do hire students. TTC@N trains you on the Eaton Fuller 10 Speed. Good luck you will be on the road before you know it.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Rookie
Default my two cents

well i was looking for a school for the longest time and then i found this school in murfressboro called volunteer training center and i went my 3 weeks got my cdl and got me a job with tmc starting on the 7th the classes are very small and the staff is great and they will help you with any thing you need so look into them if you would like and if u need help with money go to your local career center and they will help you out so then you wont have to pay nothing good luck and see you all out on the road
Old 01-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Rookie
Default Subject

Do you have a phone number or contact information for them. I had hoped to get into the January 2nd class of Tenn. Tech @ Nashville but unless someone drops out in the next few days then it won't be till the end of Febuary before I get in.

Thanks