User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 01:31 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Sage Montana

I wanted to post about some of my experiences earlier but the events of recent days have kicked my butt :roll:

First, a little background my wife and I have been searching for real change in the direction of our lives for some time. For 16 years, until April of 2004, I had been an investment broker, since my clients were scattered from Fla. to Ca., I relocated my home to NW Montana in Dec 1999. It was a dream come true we did, and still do, love our 20 acres of paradise in the Flathead National Forest.

Frankly, being an investment adviser has not been much fun. Sept 11, 2001 was a real blow to the entire industry and to me especially on a professional and personal basis. To make a long story much shorter, the small broker dealer I worked for decided to close up its retail operations in early 2004. I was forced to leave the investment industry since we did not want to leave Montana. I worked for several years with a local business. I made decent money for the area but nothing like what I used to make.

My wife and I have always loved road trips and she has always had a "thing" about large trucks and truckers. So we have decided to take the plunge and go the team route.

After much deliberation and investigation, including here, we decided on Sage Technical Services, Missoula Montana. I talked with approximately 20 recruiters, including some companies with better reputations on this site. All would accept Sage grads. The old "Chief" Devil Dice's stories helped make up our minds.

We arrived bright and early Monday, Sept 10 at 8:00AM having in our possession, our DOT Med Cards and drug screen results. Per Sage, our Montana CDL Manuals were already dogeared. Neither my wife or myself have any experience with the trucking industry. My closest encounter with trucking was acting as a convoy commander in SE Asia many many years ago My unit provided armed security to convoys of trucks resupplying bases in the boonies. We both have much to learn about trucks, airbrakes etc.

My first impression of Sage, Montana was a bit disappointing. Sage consists of a modular building fronting a dirt 5 acre "range". Two nondescript trucks and old Jim Palmer Freightliner, still painted black, attached to a van, and a red Kenworth pulling a flatbed with blocks of weights simulating cargo were parked in front. Orange Cones were scattered about. We had reservations at the DayInn Hwy 93 and I-90.

Today marked the completion of our 3rd day. We have already taken most of our CDL tests and go back to the DMV tomorrow for Hazmat. So far, both of us have been highly impressed with Sage's faculty and staff. They are genuinely interested in their student's progress and are highly flexible with their course schedule. This allows the slower students to progress at their own rate. I've done a little teaching and know its not easy working with students with great differences in social background and educational achievements. The staff a Sage makes it look easy.

We get to drive for the first time Saturday and Sunday. Yep, the school goes 7 days a week. This includes some 12 hour days. Both of us are "bushed" but we have study a bit more for tomorrow.- Hazmat looms. :shock:

Rick
Old 09-15-2007, 01:11 AM
Senior Board Member

You'll be fine with Haz Mat. It is not that hard. Just go with your gut. :wink:

BOL
Old 09-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Senior Board Member

So how long is the Sage program for in Missoula? 3 or 4 weeks? What are they charging and does that include your hotel?

It's interesting how a smaller town can have so many training resources. I think there are 3 different schools there. Yet in Austin, TX with a population of 700,000 there is 1 school and it's only been there a little over a year.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
You'll be fine with Haz Mat. It is not that hard. Just go with your gut. :wink:

BOL
I passed Hazmat Friday morning with one missed. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I tend to make things more complicated than they are. The CDL manual does the same thing.

Sage's workbook cut out the BS. It's one of their better CDL resources as much of their CDL material is very dated- very 80s disco if you know what I mean. My only quibble with their program so far.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
So how long is the Sage program for in Missoula? 3 or 4 weeks? What are they charging and does that include your hotel?

It's interesting how a smaller town can have so many training resources. I think there are 3 different schools there. Yet in Austin, TX with a population of 700,000 there is 1 school and it's only been there a little over a year.
Watkins Shepard has a school here. There may be something a the local tech school- I don't know. There are students here from Idaho, Montana right now. My class has only myself and my wife. The class just finishing up has 5 and the class starting in a week has 6. They limit their classes to 8 max. Watkins Shepard, just down the road, has 6 in class right now.

My program is 160 hours. Tuition plus fees, DOT and drug screen run about $4200. The program guarantees over 40 hours drive time alone in the truck with an instructor- you don't share the truck with another student. My wife and I thought this route best since she thinks she will need every minute in the truck.

Finally, nope the hotel is extra. Watkins Shepard does provide a dorm room included in their fee of $4000- also all testing DMV fees and supplies.

Sage does give us the max. flexibility and individual attention but if I was doing this alone I might opt for a company program.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:50 AM

rjallen,

I am looking at going to the Watkins/Shepard school. How do their facilities look and what have you heard about the training.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad M
rjallen,

I am looking at going to the Watkins/Shepard school. How do their facilities look and what have you heard about the training.
I have driven by Watkins Shepard several times but not gone inside. The rep appears good. I believe they will not hold your hand and if you are a slow learner you MAY not pass. I believe you will spend time observing and driving in the truck. They are a good company and do give you a dorm room and there is a company car to share with the other students- re is no fast food nearby. The cost is LESS than Sage as the $4000 includes the dorm and your books and fees.

Like every company around here, their terminal has dirt parking. Admin. buildings looked good- they are not shacks. Things look in order and professional.

I think you will be a good driver after you go through the school. W&S is a good company for solos. Not for teams in my opinion.

Good Luck
Rick 8) 8) 8)
Old 09-17-2007, 05:23 AM

rjallen,

You mentioned that you don't feel that Watkins/Shepard is good for teams. I just read on another site that a team for W/S said that for teams it is a "gravy train". They are doing very well.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
rjallen,

You mentioned that you don't feel that Watkins/Shepard is good for teams. I just read on another site that a team for W/S said that for teams it is a "gravy train". They are doing very well.
Brad

Remember I'm a newbie too When I talked with their recruiter, she told me my wife and I would go to a 10 day orientation then each of us would have to go alone for a month or two. Then we could team up and make a whopping .28 cpm for 6 months. After that, it would go up to the low 30s. My wife does not want to go out alone and Werner and US Xpress will start us out much higher than that.

Someone else told me teams did not get paid very well at W&S.

Please let me know what they told you. I have found the recruiters sometimes don't know what they're talking about.

Rick
Old 09-20-2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjallen
Quote:
rjallen,

I have driven by Watkins Shepard several times but not gone inside. The rep appears good. I believe they will not hold your hand and if you are a slow learner you MAY not pass. I believe you will spend time observing and driving in the truck. They are a good company and do give you a dorm room and there is a company car to share with the other students- re is no fast food nearby. The cost is LESS than Sage as the $4000 includes the dorm and your books and fees.

Like every company around here, their terminal has dirt parking. Admin. buildings looked good- they are not shacks. Things look in order and professional.

I think you will be a good driver after you go through the school. W&S is a good company for solos. Not for teams in my opinion.

Good Luck
Rick 8) 8) 8)
Brad

I've talked with several folks around here. Seems like there are two standards for W&S trainees depending on which school. Since Sage and W&S are both in Missoula, there is some competition for students. Hires from outside schools are treated differently from grads of there own school. Just double check everything and try to get it in writing.

If you are serious I could snap a couple of shots of their terminal and dorm. and send them to you.

Rick