User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 01:00 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Its now been 1 and 1/2 weeks since we started. The previous class graduated today. All have jobs- most local and thats what they wanted. These fellows all laid off lumber mill workers. Sage was instrumental with their job shopping in all but one case. I am quite impressed at the assistance Sage provides.

We have been going every day now ten days straight and are looking forward to having the next Saturday and Sunday off arty: Our home is 150 miles away and we hope its still in one piece :roll:

Friday marks our first road instruction.

As mentioned my only quibble with Sage has been the somewhat outdated audio visual materials and, to lesser extent, outdated CDL materials. For example, there was no mention in the Sage materials concerning ABS requirements for trucks, tractors and trailers. The quality of our instructors more than makes up for this short-coming but never-the-less. Updating materials would make this a better program.

Rick
Old 09-20-2007, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjallen
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjallen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad M
rjallen,

I am looking at going to the Watkins/Shepard school. How do their facilities look and what have you heard about the training.
I have driven by Watkins Shepard several times but not gone inside. The rep appears good. I believe they will not hold your hand and if you are a slow learner you MAY not pass. I believe you will spend time observing and driving in the truck. They are a good company and do give you a dorm room and there is a company car to share with the other students- re is no fast food nearby. The cost is LESS than Sage as the $4000 includes the dorm and your books and fees.

Like every company around here, their terminal has dirt parking. Admin. buildings looked good- they are not shacks. Things look in order and professional.

I think you will be a good driver after you go through the school. W&S is a good company for solos. Not for teams in my opinion.

Good Luck
Rick 8) 8) 8)
Brad

I've talked with several folks around here. Seems like there are two standards for W&S trainees depending on which school. Since Sage and W&S are both in Missoula, there is some competition for students. Hires from outside schools are treated differently from grads of there own school. Just double check everything and try to get it in writing.

If you are serious I could snap a couple of shots of their terminal and dorm. and send them to you.

Rick
Rick how in your opinion would W/S treat the grads from their own school differently that from another school.

Thanks again,

Brad
Old 09-20-2007, 04:30 AM

Quote:
I
Rick how in your opinion would W/S treat the grads from their own school differently that from another school.

Thanks again,

Brad
I THINK they give a better deal to their school grads. You might be able to go out with your wife without going solo for a month if you both grad. from W&S's school as opposed to coming to the 10 day orientation from an outside school. I did talk with someone who claimed they went to the W&S school for several weeks and left by mutual consent- don't know the details. Now W&S is trying to collect additional fees. He has to start over and was at our school talking with the administrator about enrolling. Cannot give you an opinion on this person's truthfulness.

I believe the Sage route may be more forgiving for someone like my wife. More able to give her individual attention she will need in training. W&S may be the best choice for you or others. But not for us.

In any case, if I can help get more information on the school since I'm here, let me know.

Rick

PS I still think they are a straight forward company
Old 09-20-2007, 05:01 AM

Rick,

If I decided to go to the W/S school in late October and graduated in late November do you think that the weather would be ok for training, as in not having snow to contend with immediately when you are a new driver.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Rick,

If I decided to go to the W/S school in late October and graduated in late November do you think that the weather would be ok for training, as in not having snow to contend with immediately when you are a new driver.

Thats great :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!

The weather just turned towards fall yesterday. High today 63 f. We will have some more teeshirt temps. next week. Its possible you might get snow in late Oct-Nov but not usual. Mostly highs in the low 60s to mid 50s. You will have a little more rain than now.

Snow usually starts in Dec. so it will start soon after you grad.

Keep us posted on your experience and best of luck. 8)
Old 09-25-2007, 04:55 AM