LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
+1 ... my sentiments as well.
I'd feel sorry for myself, if I couldn't get at least one channel worth watching.
The big baby needs something shiny to distract him long enough to get him to settle down and sleep. :cry:

If they are unloading me ... at the same time...it's like rocking the cradle. :block:
Well put.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDriver View Post
He may not have a whole lotta time for tv but he will appreciate having one in a big way. At the end of a grueling day I might only be able to stay awake for 1/2 hour or an hour to watch a little tv but it seems terribly wrong somehow when after working so hard I'm not able to.

Whatever you decide to do, he will be very happy you were thinking about him. :thumbsup:
Ah...finally...a driver who will allow himself a simple pleasure or two... I finally found the TV, a 19" LCD Toshiba w/DVD (yes, could have been bigger, but also thought of fit) and it will be here tomorrow. I received delivery of a 43qt 12V EdgeStar fridge/freezer today...supposed to be the more economical version of the Engel.

I only know this: my husband is one hard-working man! He only comes home every 4-5 weeks and like some of the others say, it can be a lonely, tough life. I want him to be comfortable and have some way to relax and unwind when he's out there...that includes his PS3, which he plans to bring out with him.

Lastly, I have seen the available satellite set-ups and the VuQube is sure expensive! Until we're able to purchase a satellite system, can someone recommend something? I was trying to find a good antenna, but I see a lot of guys say that they use the one built into their truck...opinions?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:35 AM
Senior Board Member

You might want to look into the Winegard Carryout gm-1518. I'm a cable guy but just got Dish network and I've been looking at those. Sometimes you can find them cheap on Craigslist

allofcraigs.com - Search ALL of Craigslist

One thing that's making me pause though. I'm afraid my truck would be a target for thieves if they see an expensive antenna setup. Somebody breaking in to my truck and grabbing everything in sight would hurt bad. $20 here, $30 there, before you know it you're talking real money. For the moment I'm doing over-the-air tv with the occasional show off the internet via my Sprint aircard.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:57 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDriver View Post
Just my 2 cents but why 12 volt? I think you're better off getting an ac inverter and going with a 110 volt tv. The tv will probably be cheaper and better made. Plus the inverter can power other things like an alarm clock, rechargeable razor and charge his cellphone without a car adapter.

I've got a little 110 volt 16" Vizio that I bought at Walmart for about $140 and if I remember correctly it only draws about 35 watts. I tried the 12 volt stuff when I first started and the only "keeper" imho is the lunchbox oven.

Good luck.

Because all all TV's these days are LCD. All LCD TV run on 12 volt dc power internally. So if you have a TV that plugs into 110V these days it's actually converting it to 12 v internally. If you're storing 12 volt power and then converting into 110V there is a loss ( like 10%-15%) and then the TV looses more when converting it back to 12v.

.... So why not "just" go with a 12 volt television? They are built to withstand the conditions of the road from within your trucks cab, they draw far less power and they're very affordable.

I have a 24" Jensen in my Pete with a DVD player installed in the bulk. It's pretty sweet.