Old 10-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by realmccoy View Post
Hmm
well when you say your paying the driver 40%, thats of teh gross not your net if your goin to pay 40% of net make sure you clarify that, as ive been driving for over 16yrs and its you pay of the gross not the net unless you specify such.. Cause that cause's a rift if your driver happens to see what the load pays and then figures your not actually paying off gross u might end up w/abandoned truck..

just fyi

A couple little things you missed in my post.

1: I was posting to the original OP, pointing out how POOR his pay to the driver actually was.

2: I used the word "IF" in the portion of my post, to which you responded.
If I were to have a "Hired Driver" driving my truck, and were paying said driver 40% of the "net to the truck" (40% of the "net" is still better than the standard 22% of the gross that most companies are paying right now) my driver would be making more money than the "Original Poster's" driver, while doing less load/unload work and driving a few more miles (on that weeks loads) as well.

Do you understand that the "Net" to the truck is after fuel, insurance and road taxes/permits??

Now....."IF" you have 16 years driving experience...WHY are you posting on a "driver's chat forum" for work, instead of out beating the bushes looking for work?

Something percentage drivers whom are lazy, tend to forget about, is the fact that 22% or 40% of nothing is still nothing. If a driver prefers to sit at the house, waiting for that high dollar load, instead of driving the truck at the current available "To The Truck" rate, and turning in Bills of Lading, from which said driver derives a wage......that is on the lazy driver...not the truck owner.

Just an FYI. I have over 30 years driving experience. The truck I own, I bought for $27,000 in February of 2007. I bought this truck, because I was unhappy driving as a company driver, here on the Gulf Coast. I am now making more money than I did as a company driver here on the GC, and I am happier as well. I also have more time off than I did as a "Company hand". FYI.

Last edited by Orangetxguy; 10-18-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:23 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwvp View Post
Pay: 40% of pay to truck which will amount to $680 per week for the driver, but he/she needs to buy his own occupational insurance and will be an independent contractor. Pay works out to approximately $ .42 per mile.
Any other incentives to this cushy job Chuck? At least tell me that you plan on wearing a condom? This is borderline unbelievable! Just when I think that I have seen it all.............................

Chuck, you have personally redefined the term "coolie carrier." No small feat, to be sure.

Oh, Chuck......running reefer to that dump bakery at Fountain Inn, SC., is a task of ' last resort.' Been there, done that. Never again. Give my best to the Waltons.

Last edited by belpre122; 10-23-2008 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Rookie
Default Dude more $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwvp View Post
Well, maybe I needed to hear all this. I am trying to be a good truck owner. My current driver has no complaints. I put the ad here to see what kind of response I would get. The company told me what the run would pay and I have to work within that framework. I thought 40% of gross paid to the truck sounded like a pretty good deal. Evidently, that is not the case, but I sure can't pay any more than that. I saw an ad on here this evening promising 20% of gross, but that doesn't seem to matter. I think that for the miles driven and the days off, this is not really that bad of a deal. But, this particular run is a completely new deal to me and I placed the ad here before buying the truck. Since this is obviously not a good deal for the driver, it won't be that great of a deal for my company either. So, I'm inclined to not go forward with the deal. Again though, this is a division of a major world-wide company with deep pockets, so I also have to believe that they do this on a regular basis. I've been fairly happy with my past dealings with them though.
If you want to make more $$ find a codriver and run for www.gvtd.com they are payin close to $3 a mile so hit them up and they will take care of ya...