User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 03:43 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Ohhhh what I forgot was your states work comp. depending on where you live 12.1% to 13.7% of you tax.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:51 AM
Rookie

And you don't think that paying the extra 10 to 12cpm helps compensate for the difference? I don't know what the heck you want. I can't possibly pay any more to the driver. I'm trying to create a job for someone and it's not that big of a deal to me profit-wise. Actually, the company I'm dealing with is a major well known shipper, not the bottom feeder you mentioned.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Yep sounds like a Great Wide kinda deal !!! If I told my driver "I have this great deal for you. I am going to pay you .42 CPM but you have to pay all that Goverment stuff, yours plus mine, I would sleep in the garage cuz he wouldn't park the truck in the driveway he would drive it thru the house !!!
Good luck in finding a newbie that neeeeeeeds a job, you will never find a good driver that is just looking for a change.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:17 AM
Rookie

Well, maybe I needed to hear all this. I am trying to be a good truck owner. My current driver has no complaints. I put the ad here to see what kind of response I would get. The company told me what the run would pay and I have to work within that framework. I thought 40% of gross paid to the truck sounded like a pretty good deal. Evidently, that is not the case, but I sure can't pay any more than that. I saw an ad on here this evening promising 20% of gross, but that doesn't seem to matter. I think that for the miles driven and the days off, this is not really that bad of a deal. But, this particular run is a completely new deal to me and I placed the ad here before buying the truck. Since this is obviously not a good deal for the driver, it won't be that great of a deal for my company either. So, I'm inclined to not go forward with the deal. Again though, this is a division of a major world-wide company with deep pockets, so I also have to believe that they do this on a regular basis. I've been fairly happy with my past dealings with them though.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Well, if you want to be a "good truck owner" work the numbers ! Look at what the run is paying then figure the normal owners expcpense (All the variouse taxes etc.) then quote a CPM , not this if/and/maybe. And, Oh, they getting paid down time, layover etc. ??
To someone who has been out here a while these are important as opposed to a real newbie, what do you want ?? someone who knows how to run a truck or someone right outa driving school ????
Old 10-13-2008, 02:17 AM
Senior Board Member
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwvp View Post
And you don't think that paying the extra 10 to 12cpm helps compensate for the difference? I don't know what the heck you want. I can't possibly pay any more to the driver. I'm trying to create a job for someone and it's not that big of a deal to me profit-wise. Actually, the company I'm dealing with is a major well known shipper, not the bottom feeder you mentioned.

There are a LOT of well known shippers out there. There are a LOT of well known shippers out there that don't pay their bills. There are also a LOT of well known shippers who pay dirt cheap...just because they can find a truck owner willing to work the truck dirt cheap.

In your ad...you say the truck runs from Stone Mt., GA Friday afternoon to deliver in Newark, DE Sunday morning (747 short miles)...deadheads(aprox 105 miles) across to pick up in Hanover, PA on Monday morning, then delivers to Fountain Inn, SC on Tuesday morning (567 miles) then deadheads back to home area {maybe Stone Mountian GA?} (150 miles) for a total of approximately 1986 miles of driving.

Now...You said the pay works out to approximately 42 cents per mile at 40% of the truck pay. Really though...it doesn't....... does it!!! If the pay were 42 cents per mile driven, the weekly wage would be $834.12( just for the driving portion). But...like so many companies, you expect the driver on the truck to perform plenty of duties for free. Like empty miles are driven for free. How about the loading and unloading of the freight? Is each pallet finger printed? Given the offered wages I would venture to say ...Yeah...that driver is going to be loading and unloading a few thousand pounds of freight for free....at each stop! Oh...right...it's all included in that 40% of the truck rate!!! IF the 40% to the driver really were $680.00, that means the truck would be receiving approximately $1700.00. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Why would you consider spending money to buy a truck to haul freight for .86 cents per mile(approximately)??? Are you aware that 86 CPM puts you hauling not just cheap freight....but super cheap freight?? That well known shipper must be loving all the truck owners working for them!!!

NO WONDER you want the driver to work on a 1099 and pay his own taxes.

What a deal you are offering that driver!!
Old 10-13-2008, 03:40 AM
Board Regular

I believe the IRS loves little deals like this.
They even have a special form for them.
Liberals - Relentless, Vile, Sniveling, Whining, Lying, Vitriolic Complainers.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
There are a LOT of well known shippers out there. There are a LOT of well known shippers out there that don't pay their bills. There are also a LOT of well known shippers who pay dirt cheap...just because they can find a truck owner willing to work the truck dirt cheap.

In your ad...you say the truck runs from Stone Mt., GA Friday afternoon to deliver in Newark, DE Sunday morning (747 short miles)...deadheads(aprox 105 miles) across to pick up in Hanover, PA on Monday morning, then delivers to Fountain Inn, SC on Tuesday morning (567 miles) then deadheads back to home area {maybe Stone Mountian GA?} (150 miles) for a total of approximately 1986 miles of driving.

Now...You said the pay works out to approximately 42 cents per mile at 40% of the truck pay. Really though...it doesn't....... does it!!! If the pay were 42 cents per mile driven, the weekly wage would be $834.12( just for the driving portion). But...like so many companies, you expect the driver on the truck to perform plenty of duties for free. Like empty miles are driven for free. How about the loading and unloading of the freight? Is each pallet finger printed? Given the offered wages I would venture to say ...Yeah...that driver is going to be loading and unloading a few thousand pounds of freight for free....at each stop! Oh...right...it's all included in that 40% of the truck rate!!! IF the 40% to the driver really were $680.00, that means the truck would be receiving approximately $1700.00. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Why would you consider spending money to buy a truck to haul freight for .86 cents per mile(approximately)??? Are you aware that 86 CPM puts you hauling not just cheap freight....but super cheap freight?? That well known shipper must be loving all the truck owners working for them!!!

NO WONDER you want the driver to work on a 1099 and pay his own taxes.

What a deal you are offering that driver!!
very well put...........

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
Mother Teresa

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. CHESTERTON

"Qui non intelligit aut discat aut taceat"
Who does not understand should either learn, or be silent.
The Mark Levin Show
Old 10-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR SILVER View Post
very well put...........

LOL....What I failed to include there....I ran my truck 2489 miles last week. The truck grossed $6,365, after fuel, insurance and taxes netted about $3,800.

If I paid a driver 40% of that net, the driver would gross $1,520. That is a huge difference for just 500 miles extra, and comes out to just a bit more than 62 cents per mile.

HMMMMMMMMMMMM

Maybe I should leverage myself a few more trucks and hire a bunch of drivers willing to work dirt cheap!!!
Old 10-15-2008, 05:15 AM
Rookie
Default 40%

Hmm
well when you say your paying the driver 40%, thats of teh gross not your net if your goin to pay 40% of net make sure you clarify that, as ive been driving for over 16yrs and its you pay of the gross not the net unless you specify such.. Cause that cause's a rift if your driver happens to see what the load pays and then figures your not actually paying off gross u might end up w/abandoned truck..

just fyi