Thread: International Problems

CoonAss is offline Rookie

Default International Problems

I'm looking for some help!!! I have a 04 International with a C11 in it. I pulled it to the side of the shop the other day and pull the batteries out to use them to move another truck. 2 days later I reinstalled the batteries back in the International and tried to start it and nothing!!!! It turns over fine but will not crank up. Any suggestions??

GMAN is offline Administrator Board Icon

That is strange. Are you sure all the batteries are properly connected and charged? It takes a lot of juice to start these engines. If you have one that is weak or bad, it could prevent the engine from starting. I would also check for loose connections. If those are good, I would make sure you are getting fuel. I would make sure that you have fuel. People have been known to steal your fuel when a truck sits, even for a short time.

Yes all three batteries are reading 12.5 and they are all clean and tighten!! Done that like three times. Double checked everything several times. Had a tech from the International dealer come over and hook his computer to it and he couldn't read anything. He said that my ECM is not getting power. So I traced the two wire that are going from the batteries to the ECM and I'm reading volts all the way, so I don't know what he was meaning. When I turn the key to start it the check electic system light comes on, like something is shorting out are not turning on??? Yes I do have diesel. It just don't make sense, I literally drove it, parked it, removed the batteries then 2 days later replaced the batteries and then this crap?????

Roadhog is offline Board Icon

12.5v resting voltage could be the problem with cranking power. Cold temps can also add to the battery being weak.
    If your battery reads anything less than that, it's almost a dead battery.

a general idea of battery condition with a tester
    12.7 = 100%
    12.6 = 90%
    12.5 = 80%
    12.35 = 70% (about dead)

Thanks for the advise!!! I will get them all charged up and go from there. Thanks again!

Ok well I've charged all three batteries 100% and still not starting!!! I had a international tech come try to plug his computer in and he said that the ECM wasn't getting power???? Traced the wires all the way from batteries to ECM and I have power. So when I'm cranking it over my rpm gauge is not moving, so would that mean my CPS is not working? It just doesn't make sense!!!!! I drove the truck then pulled the batteries and........ So that's where I'm at now.

Roadhog is offline Board Icon

If you are like me, the first part you replace, isn't going to fix your problem.

Misery loves company. I'm now trying to figure out an overcharging problem. mutter-mutter

Mr. Ford95 is offline Board Icon

Could be 3 things here, you got a wire that has a break in it and is making intermittent contact. I've seen this on Ford pickups in the door with electric windows. From the outside it looked fine, we would get power then we wouldn't. The wire was actually broke inside the plastic casing all wires are in but the casing looked fine!

Have you put a load tester on the batteries? A battery can be charged up, but under load it's a lemon. You won't see that with a regular ohm meter.

You may have unintentionally shorted the ECM out either removing the batteries or reinstalling them. If that is the case, you need an ECM and programming. Or the ECM just had its time of month and went kaput! THAT, I have seen too. Truck came in, parked and driver went home. Came in the next day and truck wouldn't start, ECM went bad. Still need a new ECM and programming.

If your wires are good and batteries are good under a load, the ECM is toast. If the International tech is saying ECM, then that expensive computer is your problem.

repete is offline Senior Board Member
    Somewhere between Rochester NY and Gaults' Gulch

It's a long shot but are you sure that you have ALL the wires/cables hooked up to the batteries? That trucks 11yrs old and maybe just maybe someone at sometime "fixed" a problem with a hot jumper wire.
    When I worked in the body shop I took I-CAR and ASE classes and one was on vehicular electronics and was always told to unhook the positive first and to connect it last, that prevents a power surge to elect components. Easy to do on cars with just one battery but you get the idea. I don't believe it's that important with the more modern (even 04) electronics but keep it in mind.
    Have you tried spraying a LITTLE starting fluid in the intake and see if it will atleast fire? If so and it didn't then you know it's not fuel related and most likely is ECM related, got a spare ECM or one you could borrow?
    Μολὼν λαβέ;

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. George Washington

One
    One is offline Senior Board Member

I would guess that you didn't just disconnect the batteries, but removed the wire to the ecm from the positive post as well. check if you laid it aside somewhere. I have made this mistake.

repete is offline Senior Board Member
    Somewhere between Rochester NY and Gaults' Gulch

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    I would guess that you didn't just disconnect the batteries, but removed the wire to the ecm from the positive post as well. check if you laid it aside somewhere. I have made this mistake.
    I didn't know that the ECM has it's own separate power wire, I just thought it may have been added over the years. But it does sound like thats the case.
    Μολὼν λαβέ;

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. George Washington

I hooked everything exactly like I took them off. I took a pic before a disconnected them just for that reason. I did spray some starter fluid it started just on starter fluid but did not respond with fuel!!!! So no I don't have a spare ECM but I have a person that will test it as soon as I take it off. Thanks for the info!!!!

If it fired with starter fluid, it sounds more like a fuel problem.

One
    One is offline Senior Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
    If it fired with starter fluid, it sounds more like a fuel problem.
    And what controls the fuel? the ECM?
    Coon, IDK your truck, but there may be a small battery powering the ECM memory. The 2 days draw on it may have killed it. Do a search for similar problems. GL

Mr. Ford95 is offline Board Icon

The ECM tells when to send fuel, if the ECM is bad, it's not communicating that fuel is needed. A truck will fire on Starter Fluid, but won't stay running as soon as the fluid is used up. It needs fuel sent in to keep running, that is where the ECM says "ok, need some fuel here, send it in." If the ECM is bad it won't send fuel. Sometimes you can simply take the ECM off and sniff it where the plug-ins go. Ones that have gone bad can emit a nasty burnt smell that you can sometimes smell without pulling it open.

Now, not to be a jerk off here, the truck does have fuel in it right? It's not sitting on an empty tank is it? We had a truck do that, the driver swore up and down it just shut off. Normally diesel's low on fuel start stuttering and missing and laying down before shutting off unlike modern gasoline engines with fuel injection, they just shut off immediately. He claimed it just shut off out of the blue. We were all kinds of confused then said F it, wonder if it's got fuel in it? Sure enough, it was empty. So make sure your tank has fuel!

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    And what controls the fuel? the ECM?
    Coon, IDK your truck, but there may be a small battery powering the ECM memory. The 2 days draw on it may have killed it. Do a search for similar problems. GL

You could check the fuel pump. I don't remember if there is a fuse or breaker, but you might check the fuse box.

AliceArifova is offline Rookie

What a nice post

It has been several months since this was originally posted. I would be interested in knowing whether he was able to find the problem and get the truck started.