User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 02:06 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 1 trans question and one clutch question

First question, Proper clutch adjustment. Truck is a 94 white gmc wia

Problem is clutch brake applies to soon and clutch only releases sometimes. Adjustment or ???? Will be stopped at a light and be working ok then when clutch is slightly released it will start to pull and no matter how far you push the pedal down it keeps on pulling. and then next time it might be fine. Mostly its stuck and pressing down the clutch brake will actually bog the engine slightly.

Next question, Goofy 9 speed trans with 4/5 and 8/9 flopped, can this be changed to standard h pattern easily (cover or internal trans different)? have to pull and fix shifter anyway because it is really sloppy.

Any help greatly appreciated
Old 02-15-2012, 12:31 AM

Sounds like pressure plate is bad, If you look inside the clutch bell housing you may see a broken spring or pieces of. That would be a definite indicator. It's best to replace at your soonest convenience. If possible get a Spicer easy pedal. It would be best to price local shops and drive it in as opposed to being towed to a not so good shop. Answer to trans question; no. it's not a linkage issue, it's the way the gears are arranged, just get used to it.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Rookie

Was leaning towards bad pressure plate just wanted second opinion. Got a guy who will do swap for $300 and I supply parts. Would do myself but my "Big Garage" has no roof or floor and its kinda cold out.

Any particular clutch or do I need old one out to match up?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:15 AM

If your truck is a class 8 diesel, More than likely a 15 1/2" Spicer easy pedal is what will work best. It should be just under $6oo new. That's a very fair price for installation also. Make sure you install a new pilot bearing and clutch brake, get the type(clutch brake) that has screws so it's easy to replace in the event of failure.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:35 AM
Rookie

I thought my dragging clutch was from broken springs, turned out to be a trashed pilot bearing. You may also need to replace the input shaft in the trans if it has a lot of wear on the splines, not as hard as it sounds involves removing the lid, unscrewing the retainer on the front side of the input shaft bearing(left hand thread) and removing a snap ring. Your "goofy" 9 speed is an overdrive version, hence the reversed 4th-5th shift pattern, it is possible to disassemble it and move some gears around to come up with a regular H shift pattern, but you will have a direct drive trans and the truck will geared a lot lower in high gear.