User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 12:58 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default ISX Air Compressor Problem

Hello,

Air compressor just stopped making air. Like the check valve wont reset or close. Anything I can do to unstick it?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2012, 02:33 AM

Very common problem with an ISX. It's already happened to me on an '09 engine.

The problem is a thin sliding plate in the head controls when it pumps or is in "stand by" mode. The shop replaced the compressor head after they tried a new part (I think governor) on the air dryer. They told me this was common with the ISX and that its stupid that just the plate alone can't be replaced.

I shouldn't admit this part; it died in my driveway and over a few days at home I lost all my air. The repair truck disconnected a line from the air dryer, charged my tanks and I drove to his shop while he followed me in case I needed more air. Only had to touch the brakes once though. While driving, the bouncing of the truck kicked in the compressor. You could hear it pumping air like crazy into the atmosphere.

This makes me wonder if it had been sticking for a while, but as long as there is enough air to drive the bouncing from driving kept it working. Also makes me wonder if you hammered on the compressor head you may possibly engage it.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barf View Post
Very common problem with an ISX. It's already happened to me on an '09 engine.

The problem is a thin sliding plate in the head controls when it pumps or is in "stand by" mode. The shop replaced the compressor head after they tried a new part (I think governor) on the air dryer. They told me this was common with the ISX and that its stupid that just the plate alone can't be replaced.

I shouldn't admit this part; it died in my driveway and over a few days at home I lost all my air. The repair truck disconnected a line from the air dryer, charged my tanks and I drove to his shop while he followed me in case I needed more air. Only had to touch the brakes once though. While driving, the bouncing of the truck kicked in the compressor. You could hear it pumping air like crazy into the atmosphere.

This makes me wonder if it had been sticking for a while, but as long as there is enough air to drive the bouncing from driving kept it working. Also makes me wonder if you hammered on the compressor head you may possibly engage it.
Thanks Barf, Turns out it was the airdryer stuck open. Replaced that. Then the governor wasnt happy with the new dryer and wanted to be replaced also. So we are good to go now. I am glad it wasnt the compressor head. I think I am going to get a spare head to carry with me. I dont want to pay $600 for one on the side of the road.