User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I tried that and it didn't work: as you as I lift the foot off the accelerator it starts shifting - BEFORE I even touch the clutch. Those Eaton guys are full of it.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:04 PM

Tracer thats the way it's supposed to work! If its doing it when you are trying to go from 4th hi to 5th lo then you have problem. After my trans was rebuilt they had to change the housing where the splitter air line went in because when you preselected to go from 4 hi to 5th lo it would shift as soon as you backed off the throttle before you could pull the stick into nuetral on your way to 5th gear. I only did it once, sounded like the tranny was going to be on the road when it from 4th hi to 4th lo at 1600 rpm. It worked fine as long as I split the gears in the neutral position before going into the next gear. They went to a housing with a smaller air hole in it to slow down the shift. Works fine now. They said it wasn't common but not unheard of.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Rookie

A 13 speed air splitter is a pretty simple setup. It shouldn't grind gears if it's getting enough air pressure/volume to make the shift. There is an air filter/pressure regulator on the back of the trans that should be checked out. Have the small air lines from the knob been replaced? The 1/8th inch nylon air lines use brass ferrules on the ends, overtightening the nuts will pinch the lines down until the airflow is restricted, causing all kinds of shifrting problems.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Finallly! That's the answer I was looking for... I know someone said air can cause problems but I wasn't sure how air was used inside the transmission. Air Filter + Pressure regulator + Overtightened air lines: that's what I"ll have a mechanic to check out. Thanks, Mike in Idaho. I hope these can be checked WITHOUT taking the tranny out! BTW, I'm on my way to Idaho via Regina, SK. I'm heading to Saskatoon, SK with a load from South Dakota right now and as soon as I drop it, I'm going over to Regina to pick up some stuff for Idaho When I'm going to be back in Ontario, Canada - noone knows I"m writing this from a tiny truck stop in Jamestown, ND near Hwy 281 and I-94.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:37 AM
Rookie

dont use clutch put. it in high side then lift of fuel pedal. at right rpm it works for me.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:33 PM
Rookie
Default grinding from high to low--4th to 5th

im having the same problem with my 18 speed eaton---someone told me that the air shifter could be sticking and to remove the airline and fill it full of lubercant--does this sound like it could work------now i did remove one air line and filled it --it sounds like the high low shifter is going in and out--but it still grinds--what can i do to find out if it is shifter or the synthesizer