User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

post when you get problem solved. some one will need the info.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Dead Short somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by preachertom
I have a dead short somewhere in my 1984 Peterbilt. I replaced the starter, because the parts store said it had a short in it, but it did not fix it. When you hook up the battery cables, the voltage meter goes up, and drains the batteries. I have searched and searched for this, trying every single light, etc, and havent' found it yet. Can anyone give me any ideas??? Please help! thanks. preachertom

A quick & easy fix is to install a master disconnect switch to open the main supply when you park the truck overnight.

Or... remove your battery cable and connect a test light between the cable end and battery post. It will light up when there is current draw present; start removing fuses and disconnecting loads until the light turns off.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Senior Board Member

It would be a good idea to measure how much as well.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Rookie
Default dead short somewhere

I'm still looking for the short... I will post when I find it. Another feller told me the other day to put a manual disconnect on it for over night as well.. and I may end up having to do that, but I sure would rather find the short and fix it. I have found a toggle switch smoking.. got new ones to install yesterday, but haven't got them in yet, so I dont' know if that was possibly the problem yet or not. I'll keep in touch. thanks for the help, any more ideas please let me know!
Old 09-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: dead short somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by preachertom
I'm still looking for the short... I will post when I find it. Another feller told me the other day to put a manual disconnect on it for over night as well.. and I may end up having to do that, but I sure would rather find the short and fix it. I have found a toggle switch smoking.. got new ones to install yesterday, but haven't got them in yet, so I dont' know if that was possibly the problem yet or not. I'll keep in touch. thanks for the help, any more ideas please let me know!

Quite often, when the smoke "comes out of the switch", it is caused by a shorted load that is controlled by the switch.

...what is the switch for??
Old 08-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Rookie
Default sterling lt9500

we are kinda having similar shorting out problems with our 2000 sterling LT9500. heater fan switch burns out (this is the second time now);lights dim auto when driving down the road;when using blinker light auto go from high to low beam and there is a little crackling; speedometer and odometer only register at about 2/3 when raining or snowing. anyone have anyideas. have already checked several grounds, but don't have a schematic to know where ALL the grounds are. and big truck repair companies have been no help because they havent a clue.