User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2007, 09:07 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
I just checked batteries at Bozzleman's-
they have all the "low maintance" batteries--with vents & caps on top....
man has the price tag gone up. $120.99 for a battery.
They're trying to screw ya.

Batteries Plus has group 31's for right around $80.00 each with the fleet discount.

I just picked some up from there last week.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshifter
Quote:
I just checked batteries at Bozzleman's-
they have all the "low maintance" batteries--with vents & caps on top....
man has the price tag gone up. $120.99 for a battery.
They're trying to screw ya.

Batteries Plus has group 31's for right around $80.00 each with the fleet discount.

I just picked some up from there last week.
Well, I bought my "sealed" "wet" silver-cadmium batteries at least 8 years ago---and then they were 90.00 a piece-got 2/ and my wife almost crapped herself---a company driver adding 2 batteries to the companies 3--as a isolated set.----They are getting weak now---too many TV dinners.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:03 AM
Board Regular

Well, I have been using Interstates for years. Was replacing them about every year in every truck until I read about CCA's and plates. Started using 4 of the lower CCA batteries in all the trucks and 2 years without a replacement so far. Will see what the cold weather brings us!!!
Old 12-18-2007, 03:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Why don't they make a battery with a clear see-thru plastic casing that you could see the condition of the plates inside---in fact, why not make said battery with a removable "Lid" and the ability to replace the bad- plates.

Oh, I know....cause they'd sell less batteries.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Jackson
Well, I tried to do some research.

I googled;

Sealed Wet Silver-Cadmium Heavy Duty Truck Battery

Nothing. Not one single application of a silver-cadium battery in an automotive type use.

I don't know what to tell you except that you must have some pretty special batteries.

Creek

Agreed.

I've searched several times and found nothing; lots of aerospace, nasa, and gadget batteries. But, I can't find a single company interested in selling me silver-cadmiums for my truck ??? Not even for my car !! Isn't that odd ?

I have seen several references to the relatively high cost of this battery type.

So, john luke pickard... what make are your batteries ?
Old 12-19-2007, 04:49 AM
Senior Board Member

has some of the red sticker left on top,

Says; Champion

silver-cadmium maintenance free

925 CCA/180 RC/12V

G/N/B at the top left hand corner---

tried to take a digital picture of it, but my camera shuts off- says batteries low

Need to recharge my Kodak Ni-MH HR6 batteries.<<---that would be nickle-something?? batterie

And you don't know how much crap I had to remove from by bunk- to get this lid up.......non-believers

although; while I did more research while you've questioned/doubted me--I did find that a true Silver-cadmium
batterie uses Potassium Oxide as the electrolite.

This battery label reads : Warning contains Sulphuric Acid
But there are No vents or caps.......HMMMM, now I'm wondering...thanks....I've been sleeping right over it.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:07 AM
Senior Board Member

http://v8sho.com/SHO/replacement%20Battery.htm

there you go..some "light reading"

I can't keep quiet on this subject. I've worked for GNB Batteries (Gould) for 27 years. We make industrial batteries here in Illinois. The batteries in the SHO are made by GNB in Dallas Tx., Shreveport La, or Dunmore Pa. They are a silver/cadmium alloy originally developed for the Seawolf submarine. This alloy is made to take a lot of heat and is good for desert conditions also. The Optima battery (cadmium alloy) is a sealed recombinant design developed by GNB 10 years ago for the industrial market. We make very large batteries of this design. In these batteries all the acid is absorbed in a matting surrounding each individual plate. This is how they can be classified as Non-Spillable and can be placed on their side or even upside down as there is no free acid. The ones that we make vent at 5 - 10 lbs and do not usually see this type of pressure. These are typically used as backup power for the communications industry and other critical operations.

Now, I stated they were WET- because when I shake/load/unload them--you can hear/feel the liquid inside----I might have mis-used that term.
Bob, may be right---these might be AGM batteries--hell, I don't know--I've never taken a band saw to one to see what's inside-
at the time, all i was interested in was a Battery that didn't vent(safe to put
under my bunk) I did some research- came across this Silver-Cadmium Battery and decided to go with it. I've inspected this battery very carefully--there's no vent ports- and no caps.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:08 AM
Senior Board Member

I can't keep quiet on this subject. I've worked for GNB Batteries (Gould) for 27 years. We make industrial batteries here in Illinois. The batteries in the SHO are made by GNB in Dallas Tx., Shreveport La, or Dunmore Pa. They are a silver/cadmium alloy originally developed for the Seawolf submarine. This alloy is made to take a lot of heat and is good for desert conditions also. The Optima battery (cadmium alloy) is a sealed recombinant design developed by GNB 10 years ago for the industrial market. We make very large batteries of this design. In these batteries all the acid is absorbed in a matting surrounding each individual plate. This is how they can be classified as Non-Spillable and can be placed on their side or even upside down as there is no free acid. The ones that we make vent at 5 - 10 lbs and do not usually see this type of pressure. These are typically used as backup power for the communications industry and other critical operations.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg

You're serious ???

Your only support comes from "some guy" on a "Ford Taurus enthusiasts site" ??

... come on, give me a break !?!
Old 12-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob h
Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg

You're serious ???

Your only support comes from "some guy" on a "Ford Taurus enthusiasts site" ??

... come on, give me a break !?!
No..I have work to do.....that's by no means the "only support" I could come up with" just the quickest---and I'm tired of bothering with arguing with a mechanic whose only concerned about not being able to admit--that maybe--he's knowledge of how a Battery(lead-acid) works--might not apply to ALL battery chemistry---you're a mechanic right? not a chemist?
Haven't you EVER had to go back into SCHOOL to learn how to deal with
NEWER TECHNOLOGY?

I'm not a mechanic, and I'm not a chemistist---but I did go through 5 years of College.
You wanted to know what brand of battery I had---
I supplied the name: GNB Champion Silver-Cadmium
then I googled GNB and found that article:

It seems to support-----your conclusion that AGM batteries are the only truely "sealed" batteries--you made several post earlier. And it seems to
validate the fact I can turn my battery upside down and nothing leaks out/there's no vents.

Now, is it possible that MAYBE they combined the two technologies---silver-cadmium & advanced Glass-matting (with o2 recombination inside the battery)?