User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default How to recharge a refrigerator

I have a built in refrigerator and wondering how do you recharge it. Do I have to pull the unit out to do it? I hear it starting and stopping so it either has a leak or needs a recharge.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: How to recharge a refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I have a built in refrigerator and wondering how do you recharge it. Do I have to pull the unit out to do it? I hear it starting and stopping so it either has a leak or needs a recharge.
Your fridge should be starting and stopping. That's how it works. Mine cycles probably once every half hour when it is hot out. Your fridge at home does the same thing, but it is quieter. These truck fridges aren't the most energy efficient, nor are they airtight. Now, if it's doing it when it is freezing cold outside, then you might have a problem.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:23 AM

If it is short cycling (starting and stopping within, say 30 seconds) then you have a problem. Feel the top of the compressor if it is extremely hot where you can't keep your hand on it ; you have a problem. Your condensing coil , depending on type, may be dirty. If the coil looks like a car radiator then blow, vacuum, or brush it out. It could be short refrigerant, needing to be charged. if so charging could be tough. Over charge it and you could lose the compressor; from busting the reed valves. or causing the compressor to run too high of a head pressure There is no sight glass so unless you can charge it to amps or it being a cap tube system you could try charging until the frost line on the suction line (the widest line on the compressor) is 4-6 six inches back from the compressor. Your evap coil could be could be iced up, defrost it and see how it runs, if it has a fan behind it does it work or is something blocking the air flow. If it needs to be charged then it has a leak which needs to be repaired. Or you could add freon and see how long it lasts, it may be a very minute leak. Or maybe just have it checked out, it may be cheaper by far to just replace it. I could go on for ever about probable causes and their fixes. I worked as a tech for 15 years and it may seem as tho I'm taking this too far but it would take me 5 minutes to check what I mentioned and more and pinpoint the problem. --- To charge it you probably need to get to the back or side to gain access to the compressor, charge it thru the suction line or process line on the compressor( a small crimped and brazed) line on the compressor. Buy a Tap-o-Line valve and use as directed, purge air from your hose and charge away.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiptwoo
If it is short cycling (starting and stopping within, say 30 seconds) then you have a problem. Feel the top of the compressor if it is extremely hot where you can't keep your hand on it ; you have a problem. Your condensing coil , depending on type, may be dirty. If the coil looks like a car radiator then blow, vacuum, or brush it out. It could be short refrigerant, needing to be charged. if so charging could be tough. Over charge it and you could lose the compressor; from busting the reed valves. or causing the compressor to run too high of a head pressure There is no sight glass so unless you can charge it to amps or it being a cap tube system you could try charging until the frost line on the suction line (the widest line on the compressor) is 4-6 six inches back from the compressor. Your evap coil could be could be iced up, defrost it and see how it runs, if it has a fan behind it does it work or is something blocking the air flow. If it needs to be charged then it has a leak which needs to be repaired. Or you could add freon and see how long it lasts, it may be a very minute leak. Or maybe just have it checked out, it may be cheaper by far to just replace it. I could go on for ever about probable causes and their fixes. I worked as a tech for 15 years and it may seem as tho I'm taking this too far but it would take me 5 minutes to check what I mentioned and more and pinpoint the problem. --- To charge it you probably need to get to the back or side to gain access to the compressor, charge it thru the suction line or process line on the compressor( a small crimped and brazed) line on the compressor. Buy a Tap-o-Line valve and use as directed, purge air from your hose and charge away.
I would guess it's just dirty. I was also a tech for 17 years and am certified class A refrigerant. I think someone with no experience trying to charge it, is just asking for trouble, also, if you did use a tap o line, if you dont solder it back shut, it will leak. As you know those units are sealed at the factory, so if it does need freon, it has leak, again it would need an experienced tech, I recommend cleaning it good and see if that helps. a rule of thumb is take the ambient temperature and that should be about the percentage of time the unit runs. i/e if it's 70 degrees, it will run about 70 percent of the time more or less. also, make sure the door closes tight and make sure the light ( if it has one) goes off when the door is shut. ( push the switch in and see if it goes off, and see if the door is pushing the switch in, personally, I think if you try to charge it, you will be buying a new one
Old 06-02-2007, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll try and clean it. Under the fridge is 2 draws then under that is the A/C unit for the bunk and that was filled with dust and dirt. I didn't look that hard but I can't figure out how to pull the fridge out to get at the back. I'm thinking that I need to take the door off then maybe a trim strip then there could be screws holding it in.

It does cycle about every 30 seconds or so.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I think I'll try and clean it. Under the fridge is 2 draws then under that is the A/C unit for the bunk and that was filled with dust and dirt. I didn't look that hard but I can't figure out how to pull the fridge out to get at the back. I'm thinking that I need to take the door off then maybe a trim strip then there could be screws holding it in.

It does cycle about every 30 seconds or so.

see if the coils are underneath, can you get to them by pulling the drawers out? you shouldnt have to take the door off. you can buy a long refrig brush at an appliance parts place. and just use the brush and a vacuum, if it's cycling every 30 seconds, there is definitely a problem, the compressor may be bad, does it cool at all? when it comes on, does the outside fan run? if not, it will overheat quickly. listen when it comes on, does it hum loudly and then click and go off? if so, its a compressor problem and you might as well buy a new frig. feel free to pm me if you need help. I did sealed systems for 17 years, so I am pretty familiar with them
Old 06-02-2007, 03:56 PM

Thanks Fred. It does get cool but I had to take the little door off the freezer part to get the rest of the refrigerator to be cool enough so I know there is a problem. I'm not sure if there is a hum. I can hear it but it sounds ok but then, I don't know what a normal one sounds like.

I'm not sure what I'll do at this point. I sort of like it as a storage area instead so I may buy another one that's portable and store that where my little closet is.

Maybe I need a big bunk!!!
Old 06-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Thanks Fred. It does get cool but I had to take the little door off the freezer part to get the rest of the refrigerator to be cool enough so I know there is a problem. I'm not sure if there is a hum. I can hear it but it sounds ok but then, I don't know what a normal one sounds like.

I'm not sure what I'll do at this point. I sort of like it as a storage area instead so I may buy another one that's portable and store that where my little closet is.

Maybe I need a big bunk!!!
I like the ones that plug into the lighter, when you go home you can just take it with you,and not worry about it stinking when you forget to clean it out and someone turns it off, that happened to me when a mechanic turned my built in one off to save the battery, I came in monday and boy did it stink!! after that I just cleaned it out and left it off and used my portable.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California

I recharge my fridge the following way.

When the old six pack is finished, I put in a new one.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnProDriver
I recharge my fridge the following way.

When the old six pack is finished, I put in a new one.
You are too smart for this board!