Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnProDriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
Obviously rocky did not take this as an attack, as it was not one, just an opinion from another country, but you show your childish nature and speak out of turn, and think your way is the only way. I have been all over my country and Canada in the last 30 years, with no formal experience on how to be a grease monkey. 20 hrs of a class doesn't make someone an expert, or safer for that matter, so jump off your high horse and come back to earth. Colt you have proved there are idiots in Canada, just like in the USA!!!!
I do get off of my high horse (out of the tractor). Usually it is when flatlanders come into BC, burn their brakes off because they have no idea how an air brake vehicle works or how to use the brakes properly, and I get to a wreck and they have burned themselves to death. On one hill in particular, on exactly the same corner on that hill, I have seen 8 men die because they did not know how brakes work, or how to work brakes. And every one of them was a long time truck driver. Most of them had been all over Canada and the states. A few of them with 20 years or more driving under their belts.

And all of them died for the same reason. They did not understand what they where doing, or the impact of poor decisions or lack of a proper education.

Without knowing how brakes work, it is only a matter of time before a person wrecks. It is not IF, it is WHEN.
That high horse comment was not directed at you Rocky! I think the misunderstanding we are having is I took it as you need to in essence learn how the whole brake system works like a mechanic would know. I wasn't saying that a driver doesn't need to know about brake air pressure needed etc. to safely make it down a long and steep grade in all types of weather, this should be taught to the driver during training!!!! Just like the comment I made about the pilot must know enough to make the trip safely, he doesn't have to know why the navigation equip. works, just understand how to use it, see what I am getting at?

As for you colt, buy the way the name fits you like a glove, think about it!!
You come on this board and throw insults and profane language, no matter how you choose to spell it, you are just like some of the YOUNG DUMB PUNKS we have here in the states, You sound like Rocky's " yes man BOY"...lol Grow up a little, with an attitude like yours you must be the QUEEN of the Canadian bigmouths....lol :roll: Don't just start of with the crap that comes out of your mouth, debate the issue a little to make sure there is no misunderstandings before you judge another driver!!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLT
.... You are my Hero sis Outlaw... your The Man... :lol:

You are definitely the QUEEN of the Canadian bigstrappers
Old 02-27-2007, 04:13 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw

That high horse comment was not directed at you Rocky! I think the misunderstanding we are having is I took it as you need to in essence learn how the whole brake system works like a mechanic would know. I wasn't saying that a driver doesn't need to know about brake air pressure needed etc. to safely make it down a long and steep grade in all types of weather, this should be taught to the driver during training!!!! Just like the comment I made about the pilot must know enough to make the trip safely, he doesn't have to know why the navigation equip. works, just understand how to use it, see what I am getting at?
I kind of figured that is what you meant. And I agree, that the pilot does not need to know how the navigation equipment works, but I do think he has to know enough about how an airfoil works, in case the engine fails, or how to navigate by the stars if his navigation equipment fails.

I would equate air brakes much more to an airfoil than I would to an engine. I have no idea how a Spring Brake Modulator Valve looks inside one, but I do know that if it does not work I will loose a significant portion of my braking ability in the event of an emergency stop. So I know how to check it out to make sure it is working. The same goes for the Tractor protection system, the dual air system, etc.

Air Brakes needs to be seen less as a braking system, and more like a safety system.

No point having a fire extinguisher if you do not know how to check to see if it charged, or how to use it properly.

If any of those 8 guys had stopped in Cranbrook to take an 8 hour Air Brakes refresher course and then put into practice what they had seen in my course before they headed West over the big hills, none of them would have died on that day for the reasons they died for.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Senior Board Member
Default to marcel

marcel look on this page & look up topic park brake by heavyhaulerss. i had the same prob. lot's of info there. you may not need now, but good read.. glad you got taken care of..
Old 10-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Default Re: Another Brake Question....... need help ASAP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel27208
OK heres some background info.... i was DOT'ed in VA about 6months ago, i was shut down because DOT said i had a bad tractor protection valve, he had me push both brakes in with red airline unhooked and let air leak out, and the buttons were suppose to pop out, only the trailer brake did, so i had TA come out and give me new tractor protection valve and i was on my way............. i havent been DOT'ed since but the other day i went to test it and it still didnt work.(only trailer would pop out) I bought a rebuilt MV-3( i think thats what it is) and replaced the tractor valve and the seal... Now they both pop out, but when i press just the tractor brakes button pump down air, the button still doesnt pop out(although the buzzer does come on) my question is, is it suppose to???? and any suggestions on how to fix?
the tractor protection valve done what it's supposed to,isolated and set trailer emergency brakes,after all trailer reservoir air been exhausted.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
the tractor protection valve done what it's supposed to,isolated and set trailer emergency brakes,after all trailer reservoir air been exhausted.
The Tractor Protection Valve is to protect the Tractor from air loss, not the trailer.

It shuts down the air going to the trailer so the tractor can still have a supply of air to keep the Spring Brakes from creeping on, and to ensure their is air to the foot valve so it can be used to stop.

The trailer brakes apply long before the air has been exhausted in the trailer air tanks. If all you have is service brakes on the trailer, then it dynamites the brakes with the action of the relay-emergency valve. If you have Spring brakes on the trailer, then it vents the air from the spring chambers which will apply the spring brakes.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Rocky... Haven't seen you on here in a while. Good to see you back, and hope you plan to stick around for a while. Are you still working, training other drivers?

Old 01-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Holy smokes! Rocky is back!

Glad to see him here as well. I should take his course some time in the near future. This prairie boy needs some training!
Old 01-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
Rocky... Haven't seen you on here in a while. Good to see you back, and hope you plan to stick around for a while. Are you still working, training other drivers?
Thanks Guys.

I have been busy with business. Ya, still training and fighting the good fight.

I will be poking around the site when I have time.

Rocky