Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnProDriver
Complacency kills a lot of people.
That, and overconfidence in their equipment.
That to.

A common thread in all professions such as medicine, law, education, engineering, aviation, fire fighters, stock brokers to just name a few, is that they constantly strive to get better at their chosen fields. And more often than not it is done by reviewing what they know and taking courses in things that they do not.

We want to be recognized as a profession, we want to be paid like professionals, and we want to be treated like professionals should be.

But what I see, is that once a person has their license, and some miles and time under their belt, they seem to think that they do not need to go back and revisit what they have learned, nor do they think they think they should be checked to see if they can still perform their job at even a basic level.

Just imagine sitting in an 747 and finding out that he pilot has not been brought up to speed on the new navigation equipment they have in the plane, or that they have not spent time in a simulator in years. Most people would walk right off the plane, including all the truck drives if they had any common sense.

And yet we still have the attitude that just because I could do it, I still can do it.

Not only should we welcome training, but we should demand it. And until we do, we will remain a workforce of mostly amateurs.

Professionalism is not how you do what you do, it is how you view what you do.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Complacency kills a lot of people.
That, and overconfidence in their equipment.
That to.

A common thread in all professions such as medicine, law, education, engineering, aviation, fire fighters, stock brokers to just name a few, is that they constantly strive to get better at their chosen fields. And more often than not it is done by reviewing what they know and taking courses in things that they do not.

We want to be recognized as a profession, we want to be paid like professionals, and we want to be treated like professionals should be.

But what I see, is that once a person has their license, and some miles and time under their belt, they seem to think that they do not need to go back and revisit what they have learned, nor do they think they think they should be checked to see if they can still perform their job at even a basic level.

Just imagine sitting in an 747 and finding out that he pilot has not been brought up to speed on the new navigation equipment they have in the plane, or that they have not spent time in a simulator in years. Most people would walk right off the plane, including all the truck drives if they had any common sense.

And yet we still have the attitude that just because I could do it, I still can do it.

Not only should we welcome training, but we should demand it. And until we do, we will remain a workforce of mostly amateurs.

Professionalism is not how you do what you do, it is how you view what you do.

A driver is also not a mechanic. Just like people who drive cars, most don't know squat about how a car works, does that make them dangerous? No, well some yes...lol A pilot does not know how a plane works, but should know about the equipment needed to reach his destination! I don't think a driver needs to be a mechanic, that's why we have repair shops. All a driver needs to know is basic stuff like, air pressure, how to hook up air lines, and the dangers of losing air pressure, you know BASICS. This way if a problem arises he may stop to call for or get repairs. Teach a driver of anything how the whole thing works, and I think you will have some that are more dangerous...lol
Old 02-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Senior Board Member

If a driver has a better understanding of the air brake system, the benefits are many:

- Increased production
- Less downtime
- Better description of problems to mechanics (instead of "brakes need adjusting")

There are even more benefits to an owner/operator.

BTW, rocky, is a driver required to do air system tests like the pretrip, or is it just to get that endorsement?
Old 02-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Senior Board Member

ROCKY, THEY ... ONLY KNOW, WHAT THEY NEED TO KNOW, NOT! ASK ROCKY HOW MANY DRIVERS DIED THINKING THEY KNEW WHAT THEY DID'NT KNOW, SMARTAZZ SS OUTLAW. IGNORENCE IS BLISS... :roll: B.C. Air is the best on the books.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
If a driver has a better understanding of the air brake system, the benefits are many:

- Increased production
- Less downtime
- Better description of problems to mechanics (instead of "brakes need adjusting")

There are even more benefits to an owner/operator.

BTW, rocky, is a driver required to do air system tests like the pretrip, or is it just to get that endorsement?
Allan,

An air brake endorsement in BC is a 20 hour course, of which 16 hours is in the classroom (theory) and 4 hours is a practical. In the practical they are shown an Air Only pretrip and then given a few hours to practice it. Then they must show that they can do it by themselves. Of course, a few errors are allowed, it does not have to be perfect in other words.

Once they pass that assessment (the vast majority of schools that teach it also have the assessment authority) they have to go to the local MVB and take a written test. After they pass that then they will be give a type 15 endorsement which allows them to drive anything with air brakes that their license will allow. So a class 5 license will let them drive a single axle dump truck with air brakes. If you want to get a higher license, say a class three (dump trucks), class two (buses) or a class one (tractor/trailer) then they will need to perform a pretrip as part of the driving exam. They will have to do the air brakes again at that pretrip as part of the pretrip.

And Colt is exactly right. British Columbia has the most comprehensive air brakes requirements in North America.

It comes clear why once you drive in the mountains here. 16 mile long grades that run from 6 to 8% are not very forgiving. And we even have some that are 12%. Many of them are single lane roads that have no barricades on the cliff side.

By the way if any of you have ever driven over the Rogers Pass (many, many flatlanders think of it as the big Kuhona) I consider it no more than a minor annoyance. Get onto Hwy 3 that runs from Hope BC to the Crowsnest Pass just east of Lethbridge Alta. Now you are talking mountain passes. This was where I learned to drive trucks. I use to run A-trains on that road daily. And to add one more thing to that. This is where we train our students. The very first mountain passes they go over are some of the toughest ones in North America.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLT
ROCKY, THEY ... ONLY KNOW, WHAT THEY NEED TO KNOW, NOT! ASK ROCKY HOW MANY DRIVERS DIED THINKING THEY KNEW WHAT THEY DID'NT KNOW, SMARTAZZ SS OUTLAW. IGNORENCE IS BLISS... :roll: B.C. Air is the best on the books.

Let me say this first, I was not putting Rocky down. The majority of readers here are from the states, and we don't have the type of terrain you friends to the north of us do. I'm sorry but you don't have to know how to fix a truck to drive one safely! Would it be a good Idea, YES, but not necessary! As far as your RUDE PROFANE comment, is this typical of our brother drivers north of us???? By your comment COLT you think you are better than we are because you Canadians have to have a 20 hr class to get your license??? Well if I drove in a country or area that has little services and am in BF Egypt, then it might behoove me to learn how to be a mechanic grease monkey. I suggest colt, you take your microwave oven apart and put it back together and take a class to learn how to operate it correctly so you don't kill yourself or start a fire!!! That was an ill attempt at humor but the same thing none the less!!!!
Obviously rocky did not take this as an attack, as it was not one, just an opinion from another country, but you show your childish nature and speak out of turn, and think your way is the only way. I have been all over my country and Canada in the last 30 years, with no formal experience on how to be a grease monkey. 20 hrs of a class doesn't make someone an expert, or safer for that matter, so jump off your high horse and come back to earth. Colt you have proved there are idiots in Canada, just like in the USA!!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Senior Board Member

:lol: GOOOF,.... Some people drive trucks, some people DRIVE trucks. dumb azz.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob h
i bet that if you go to your truck right now... press in the yellow and red buttons (trailer attached)... and then drain your primary reservoir to zero..... .....neither the yellow, nor the red button will pop out
We have an Air Brakes course running this weekend and I went down this morning to see what would happen if I did this.

With both the Primary and Secondary tanks on the tractor full, and with the trailer tank also full, I supplied both the tractor and the trailer. (pushed both dash valves in to release the spring brakes).

I shut off the supply to the wet tank, disconnected both the supply and the primary from the wet tank, then drained the Secondary tank. Nothing happened. That is, of course, because blended air is suplying the trailer.

I then drained the Primary tank. When the pressure got down to about 50 psi, the trailer spring brakes applied and when it got down to about 40 psi the trailer spring brakes applied. This was with 100 psi in the trailer tank.

I have a PP7 trailer supply dash valve installed on the air board.

I am going to test it on one of my tractors when I have a trailer hooked to it this week to see if the same thing happens. Every once in a while my air board does not do the same as a tractor/trailer.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
Obviously rocky did not take this as an attack, as it was not one, just an opinion from another country, but you show your childish nature and speak out of turn, and think your way is the only way. I have been all over my country and Canada in the last 30 years, with no formal experience on how to be a grease monkey. 20 hrs of a class doesn't make someone an expert, or safer for that matter, so jump off your high horse and come back to earth. Colt you have proved there are idiots in Canada, just like in the USA!!!!
I do get off of my high horse (out of the tractor). Usually it is when flatlanders come into BC, burn their brakes off because they have no idea how an air brake vehicle works or how to use the brakes properly, and I get to a wreck and they have burned themselves to death. On one hill in particular, on exactly the same corner on that hill, I have seen 8 men die because they did not know how brakes work, or how to work brakes. And every one of them was a long time truck driver. Most of them had been all over Canada and the states. A few of them with 20 years or more driving under their belts.

And all of them died for the same reason. They did not understand what they where doing, or the impact of poor decisions or lack of a proper education.

Without knowing how brakes work, it is only a matter of time before a person wrecks. It is not IF, it is WHEN.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Senior Board Member