User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hand adjusting spotlight a must for any truck!

I no longer work for logex but when I did we had these lights and I used them all the time. The light is right there it is literally closer than the horn just a turn of the wrist and you have another tool for improved sight and communication.
If you train yourself to use them they are faster than any horn and affect exactly who you need to converse with. (a horn blow at a truck stop can wake sleeping drivers not good) If you have a four-wheeler try to pull in front of you hit them with light fast and first they will stop if they want to live (had to do that one night). Because you know we can't stop or turn with a liquid tanker without a plan because we will roll over..............just because Sir Lateness is running behind we can't roll the truck over because they will have a bad start. I know a driver that rolled over rather than hit the offender and he regrets it. That driver’s life was forever altered.

One night I used it to stop a large doe in her tracks she was heading right in front of the truck at a full trot running 90 degrees to the interstate. The instant I hit her with the light she froze about 3 foot prior to her death and maybe mine deer strikes can be deadly.

If there is a brake check on the interstate I point the light skyward and wave it left and right skyward real quick to tell other motorists that are to the rear, "we have a hazardous situation here slowing down". I do this first then broadcast a channel 19 brake check remember light is the fastest medium faster than electricity, sound, radio waves you name it light is 186k ft per second.

Hauling hazmat we stop at RR Xing at night I’ll spotlight the RRX sign to the right first and then shine it skyward this is visible for about a mile I guess maybe more communicating effectively that I am one of those drivers that follow the law and will come to a full stop. I would use my judgment in those cases but this is just where a DOT officer can/will observe from far away. A driver making a $10k error and gig you taking your license for 6 months. There are police out there that will do this.
The stop at a RRX law in some places is absurd and out right criminal to insist we stop; if you have a mile visibility and can easily see there is no train for a mile and the speed limit is 55+ by law you still have to come to a complete stop, it is not based with any common sense the motorists that is not aware of the law or simply forgets that law expect you to motor on some tankers do. In Baton Rouge we had a crash just like this but the other driver was a dump truck that had crashed into a fuel tanker big fire and loss of life. The sick thing is these things sometimes happen in broad daylight and when if it weren’t for the law those people would live.

At truck stops at night you use it to show your path usually the fuel island far away from the building ("I like to get fuel way out there with the card then loop around to go to the store I find it faster that way and you avoid getting hydrocarbons on your shoes") you wish to take avoiding collisions with trucks use to flying through, they will see this and perhaps realize oh he is going there and slow it down or speed it up knowing what your objective is too many truck stops are not well marked and allow for severe errors if both are not sure of the others objective some come just to park shower sleep others just for fuel.
I want to help by sharing what I have learned so you might journey in comfort and security safely. I need help with taxes What can you deduct? All help will greatly appreciated I don't give smart ass replies to those that are acting kindly as so many do. Taxes is an incredible wealth wound learn how to get all that is yours.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:40 AM

I wouldn't be putting a spotlight in other drivers eyes if I were you.
If an accident is ever caused by that you could be in deep ca-ca.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:36 AM
Board Regular

True story told by my dad just last while we were playing follow the leader.

Hes all alone, going one direction on a divided highway late at night, along comes 1 car going the other way with its high beams on, he flashes the car a few times and then grabs his big ole spotlight and lights the car up, took that cop about 30 seconds to get turned around to pull him over. Cop asks "why he got hit with the spot light", dad asked "why didnt you dim your high beams", cops tells him he was "looking for something in the median", dad tells him "so was i", cop let him "luckily".
Old 02-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Hand adjusting spotlight a must for any truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdltpx
I now work for logex we have these lights and I use them all the time. The light is right there when you need it just a turn of the wrist and you have another tool for improved sight and communication.
Train yourself to use them because they are faster than any horn if you have a four wheeler try to pull in front of you hit them with light fast and first they will stop if they want to live.
One night I used it to stop a large doe in her tracks she was heading right in front of the truck.
If there is a brake check I point the light skyward and wave it left and right to tell other motorists we have a hazardous situation here I do this first then broadcast a channel 19 brake check remember light is the fastest medium faster than electricity,sound ,radio waves you name it.
Hauling hazmat we stop at RR Xing I spot the RRX sign and then shine it skyward this is visible for a mile or more communicating effectively.
At truck stops you use it to show your path you wish to take avoiding collisions with trucks flying through, they will see this and slow it down well in advance of a close call.
Sounds like a kid with a new toy, use a little common sense when you go to shinning that light on anyone.
You might get a unwanted reaction from someone.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:25 AM
Default Spot light

I never shine it toward another vehicle 8) unless we are going to be in a collision the afore mentioned use was; if they pull in front of a truck that is traveling 25+ and they blow past that stop sign meant for them.

Tankers don’t swerve they roll over all I can do is alert and slow to minimize the affect of impact if you go there I feel for you but we will swap paint I refuse to roll the truck to avoid a collision ,a collision is not the worse case scenario.

There is no faster way to alert :idea: the other driver of impending potential disaster. :idea: Light is spoken of in fps (foot per second) sound is measured in mph an air horn :!: takes more time than a light .In the truck cab the light is closer to hand than the air horn. What if the other driver is deaf or under the influence of mega bass stereo system, the light is in my opinion better suited for certain task. Please don’t read in more than is stated. Earlier comments are all non-offensive practical ways to use this device. Yes it was a new toy/tool but it bears mentioning so their lives and our reputations can be saved and improved. :roll:
I want to help by sharing what I have learned so you might journey in comfort and security safely. I need help with taxes What can you deduct? All help will greatly appreciated I don't give smart ass replies to those that are acting kindly as so many do. Taxes is an incredible wealth wound learn how to get all that is yours.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Senior Board Member

I like the idea- how much are they and how hard are they to install?
Old 03-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Default Well they are already in the trucks I drive

You can buy them on line but I have no clue how to install one properly there are those little places like pep boys that install vihicle add ons. If there is a will there is a law suit. Only kidding call around you will find one to install.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:53 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Be aware that the light is also a major distraction and if an accident occurs because of that distraction (as in pointing it skyward and waving it back and forth, causing people to focus on the light and miss the fact that they should be slowing down), you'll be out of a job and on the hook for lawsuits.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Senior Board Member

spot lights make great targets! 8)
Old 03-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Default Common sense be polite use your head.

That is like saying a person crashed because you had four way flashers on and took their attention from the road funny enough that happens all the time a pretty woman is on the side of the road fixing a flat and pow :!: blam crash both sides sig alert. If you drive the smith system you never have close calls let alone collisions I keep my distance and always have an out. If you look you see the opposite side slow down you better look out the hazard could be on your side just the other side of the next hill.
I rarely see what is going on the side of the road this is the time to pay additional attention to others. Look at what I wrote in the past you get in situations where you the truck is in a position where flashers cant be seen in time the light in the sky is a way of saying “something is going on down here you might want to slow down” every time I have had to use it in this manner that is just what happened; others were alerted to a hazard slowed and no crashes. This is why drivers are reluctant to use a cb radio there are folks out there that just start crap-creating noise cb is a good tool but it too is an abused toy.
All too often drivers are preoccupied with distractions in the car or truck and every little way of communication can help as long as you don’t use it to blind drivers and use your head and are polite.
I think most places the speed limit is too high in reality it isn’t the speed that is causing collisions it is inattention but how do you enforce inattention. When I am driving if anything is seen as a hazard down the road you slow down even if it is only 5 mph at a time you do so until you realize it is safe to pump it back up to cruising speed. When I am driving I look over a mile ahead just to see if brake lights come on even for a second it is what you do to remain safe. In our drugged up society it is a wonder they can even make it to the corned store Xanax, Prozac, valium, ADD, Manic depression, Bipolar and they can’t pay attention to the road it is too much of a task. Life is good if you make it good we can be happy when we get this or that seldom do you hear I am happy with what I have. Folks use to go camping a lot now we need all the bells and whistles all the time read a book you can get more fulfillment from it.