User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

yes it is a series 60 detroit 11.1 i cannot detect any fuel in the oil. by looks smell e.t.c. it does smoke.. when cranking white & a clear like mist emits from stack. for some uneducated reason i have always thought it was an injector leaking down. had prob last 2 years & after too much money spent & diagnosis, to this day no one can tell me for sure. i got tired of the downtime cost & putting on a trial by error parts. it does not start like it should on warn days either. but the difference is like night & day. i can live with the warm weather starting. 3-4 seconds when warm vs 8-9 tries when cold before firing up..
Old 02-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Senior Board Member

="heavyhaulerss"]yes it is a series 60 detroit 11.1 i cannot detect any fuel in the oil. by looks smell e.t.c. it does smoke.. when cranking white & a clear like mist emits from stack. for some uneducated reason i have always thought it was an injector leaking down.

if the injector leaked into the cylinder, you would have black smoke at startup. if the injector leaked up you would have fuel in the oil

had prob last 2 years & after too much money spent & diagnosis, to this day no one can tell me for sure.

what parts have been replaced?

what were (any) results of diagnosis?

what is cranking fuel pressure?

what is running fuel pressure?

has the restricted fitting been drilled?

is injector calibration codes correct?

does the fuel pump leak from the weep hole?

is there a black mess beneath the exhaust manifold or on the oil cooler?

when was the valves and injectors adjusted last?

how does the engine perform normally?

what is peak boost under load?

DOES THE ENGINE SMOKE ONCE IT'S RUNNING?

i got tired of the downtime cost & putting on a trial by error parts. it does not start like it should on warn days either. but the difference is like night & day. i can live with the warm weather starting. 3-4 seconds when warm vs 8-9 tries when cold before firing up..[/quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:38 AM
Senior Board Member

pr ts replaced were some sort of fuel check just behind fuel pump. thought by mechanic that it was losing prime & that would fix it. the suction line. because it was thought the it was sucking air.. ????? dint know about running or cranking fuel pressure. not sure if anyone done that. if so i heard of no results from such a test. resricted fue fitting drilled ? no idea. no fuel pump leak anywhere externally. dint know where the oil cooler is or what it looks like. sorry ops: dint know about peak boost either. i have overhead run every 90 - 100,000 miles. no matter if overhead just ran yesterday or 8 months ago. same cold start up prob reguardless. but the last was done 86,000mi ago. normaly engine runs o.k. get 5.5-6.5 mpg depending on load, wind, hills, e.t.c. when the truck is running & you are 20 ft away you could not tell it is running by looking at exauhst stack. virtualy no smoke. sorry for so much lack of knowledge on my past repairs & ignorance on my truck engine components
Old 02-02-2007, 01:15 AM
Senior Board Member

quote="heavyhaulerss"]pr ts replaced were some sort of fuel check just behind fuel pump.

maybe it was behind the cylinder head ?

thought by mechanic that it was losing prime & that would fix it. the suction line. because it was thought the it was sucking air.. ????? dint know about running or cranking fuel pressure. not sure if anyone done that. if so i heard of no results from such a test.

fuel pressure and restriction are very basic engine performance checks and were likely done and not mentioned ...... ?

resricted fue fitting drilled ? no idea.

never mind

no fuel pump leak anywhere externally. dint know where the oil cooler is or what it looks like.

right beneath the turbo, passenger side

sorry ops: dint know about peak boost either. i have overhead run every 90 - 100,000 miles.

that's about twice as often as i would recommend ... assuming longhaul miles

no matter if overhead just ran yesterday or 8 months ago. same cold start up prob reguardless. but the last was done 86,000mi ago. normaly engine runs o.k. get 5.5-6.5 mpg depending on load, wind, hills, e.t.c. when the truck is running & you are 20 ft away you could not tell it is running by looking at exauhst stack. virtualy no smoke. sorry for so much lack of knowledge on my past repairs & ignorance on my truck engine components[/quote

you need to verify that your fuel system is sealed tight, and that it's making sufficient pressure and flow

does the engine always crank fast?
Old 02-02-2007, 02:55 AM
Senior Board Member

cranks???? yes it cranks quick. turns over quick, but not start quick. if thats what you mean. there was a back check installed at back of head. but another one on dr side just above starter just right out & in back of fuel pump . i guess it's the fuel pump..... i bet your wondering how in the hell can a guy as ignorant as me get to over a mil miles on a truck, have no breakdowns in over 7 years and all original components from engine thru trans & rears ? huh ?. truck has never had any major work done to it. i bought in 99 original trans, original clutch.(dont ask me how) same rears u joints e.t.c. i never broke down.. yet!! i do preventative maint. what i know or see. 1 sensor 1 water pump -o- ring seal & the usual tires,braks ,seals, belts, hoses, e.t.c. a dealer put a srs sensor saying that might be prob. that was 2 years ago or more.. didnt help s bit. i'm sure i can find out what is wrong. i just have to take it to some one who knows their stuff. i have such a place but he is reall good & his honesty is unbeleivable. the prob is he is always booked up. & i cannot make appoint a week or 2 in advance. never know where i'll be. then the downtime prob. but it does not keep me from driving or making money. just very aggravating. thank you for all your time, advice, & reading my post..