Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Maintenance (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance-26/)
-   -   Detroit 60 randomly will not start (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance/23749-detroit-60-randomly-will-not-start.html)

banditt11 01-10-2007 10:07 PM

Detroit 60 randomly will not start

I have a 2000 FLD 120 Freightliner with the Detroit series 60 engine. Lately It will just spin over at normal rpm but will not start until I give it a bit of ether. Then at times it will start just like a brand new truck. No matter how much fuel in the tanks or no specific time before it will not start. I have tried to figure a pattern but it is just to random and often. Truck exibits no problems while I drive it. I am planning to take it to Freightliner Thursday. Just thought you folks might have an idea on this.

bob h 01-11-2007 12:12 AM

Re: Detroit 60 randomly will not start

Quote:

Originally Posted by banditt11
I have a 2000 FLD 120 Freightliner with the Detroit series 60 engine. Lately It will just spin over at normal rpm but will not start until I give it a bit of ether. Then at times it will start just like a brand new truck. No matter how much fuel in the tanks or no specific time before it will not start. I have tried to figure a pattern but it is just to random and often. Truck exibits no problems while I drive it. I am planning to take it to Freightliner Thursday. Just thought you folks might have an idea on this.

so, when it does this, it will absolutely not start without a sniff of "death in a can"?

how long do you crank?

any fault codes show up?

does the tach move during crank?

does it run rough or smoke after it does start?

could this happen after the vehicle has sat for only an hour or so?

banditt11 01-11-2007 01:20 AM

Hello Bob and thank you for a response.

so, when it does this, it will absolutely not start without a sniff of "death in a can"?
*** that is correct.

how long do you crank?
***Anywhere from 5 to maybe 8 seconds. I stop for a second and then do the same thing.

any fault codes show up?
***No fault codes although the "check engine" green light comes on as I work the starter then goes off immediately when I let off the starter.

*** good question I have not noticed that. But will check.

***no rough running or smoke. Everything is as if it started normally.

***That is the kicker, There is no real pattern to follow. It is really random. Like today I get in the truck this morning and it just spins over normal short of starting. I then add the ether and it starts fine. I drive a couple hours and shut it off for about a half hour and same thing. I go around the building to reload and sit maybe a half hour and it starts right up like normal. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

bob h 01-11-2007 12:12 PM

Quote:

Hello Bob and thank you for a response.

*** that is correct.

how long do you crank?
***Anywhere from 5 to maybe 8 seconds. I stop for a second and then do the same thing.

any fault codes show up?
***No fault codes although the "check engine" green light comes on as I work the starter then goes off immediately when I let off the starter.

*** good question I have not noticed that. But will check.

***no rough running or smoke. Everything is as if it started normally.

***That is the kicker, There is no real pattern to follow. It is really random. Like today I get in the truck this morning and it just spins over normal short of starting. I then add the ether and it starts fine. I drive a couple hours and shut it off for about a half hour and same thing. I go around the building to reload and sit maybe a half hour and it starts right up like normal. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

you can safely crank for 30 seconds, but i don't think it will matter in your situation, i was suspecting fuel drain-back... but i don't think so anymore.

...sounds electronic, you'll have to have someone monitor data stream on a scanner/laptop to see what's missing (while it's acting up); it is likely a missing engine position/speed signal.

if you want a very random, uneducated silver bullet, you could try replaceing the TRS (timing reference sensor located near the crank in the bottom of the gear case) it provides engine speed signal to the ecm, and might be the cause of your problem, the SRS (synchronous reference sensor located by the air compressor) could cause the same complaint, maybe you could unplug each and check for damaged terminals, etc.. but i would recommend getting it scanned to be sure, as this sensor replacement idea is a shot in the dark

banditt11 01-11-2007 10:39 PM

Hey Bob. Yeah I got to thinking about just changing certain things in hope it would fix it. In the end though I just took it to Freightliner and let them have at it, hey whats 88 bucks an hour huh! . I will let you know what they find as soon as I get it back.

Frank

sidman82 01-11-2007 10:58 PM

Try new batteries. My truck was doing something similar. There was not enough voltage in my batteries to send proper signal to ECM. After new batteries problem gone. Give it a shot before you bring it to dealer.

banditt11 01-12-2007 02:10 AM

The batteries I have are not even a year old. They definitly spin the engine up. Although I have a coworker that did have a problem like that and bought new batteries and replaced some ground wires and it straightened his truck right out.

banditt11 01-12-2007 12:12 PM

Looks like Bob is the winner! Just got a call from Freightliner and they said I needed The TRS and the SRS plus 3 fuel lines which showed signs of wear. Now to guess the bill :roll: Thanks for the input on this folks :wink:

Frank

bob h 01-15-2007 12:42 AM

Quote:

Looks like Bob is the winner! Just got a call from Freightliner and they said I needed The TRS and the SRS plus 3 fuel lines which showed signs of wear. Now to guess the bill :roll: Thanks for the input on this folks :wink:

Frank

odd that both sensors would fail at the same time... did either have metal filings on the tip?

banditt11 01-15-2007 02:26 AM

I thought about that too Bob but was just glad to get the truck back and be done with the problems I was having. As for the metal filings I did not get an answer on that as it was a Saturday that I picked it up and the desk guy was busy answering the darn phone. I just paid and left. :roll:
Thanks again for your feedback on my question Bob. Much appreciated.

Frank