Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Superior Carriers and Carry Transit (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/30827-superior-carriers-carry-transit.html)

mike3fan 07-11-2009 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geargrinder (Post 455708)
If I don't need a placards I will rip em off with my teeth. I run across OH a lot. Superior sez we don't need to stop with the green, the sign at the scale sez we do. I follow what the sign sez. I turned down hot placards a couple weeks ago cuz the crap was 210 and not 212. Not ripping you, but complacency and dedicated go hand in hand.

You do not need to stop at the scales in OH if you get a green light on pre pass hauling Hazmat if you have the Uniform Hazmat paper in your permit book.

http://www.prepass.com/aboutus/News/Documents/Mar08.pdf

geargrinder 07-11-2009 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyanide (Post 455537)
Phreddo wrote:

:lol2: :rofl: :thumbsdown:

Can be any of these three trucks, and in any of these three colors (they also have burgundy and silver). ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...57348-Copy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...81129-Copy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../80265647b.jpg

pd wrote:

Thanks Phil! Well, not going to post who I go with for a long, long time but I can say that from all of the info I've gathered it should work out very well for me, and I should be in the same position or better concerning income and time off as I was when I ran Westville Dedicated back and forth to 'Bama...

:D

Carlo, good luck. I think i read one of your post a couple years ago and decided to give Superior a try. It's an excellent company for the guys who came on right out of school. But after a while it becomes readily apparent that it is a seniority game for who gets what.

I could rag all day about this mess of a company. But all I will say is that when the economy turns, and it will, that Superior is going to be left with a bunch of grossly overweight steering wheel holders that can't climb the ladder to do a proper pre-trip. A seniority system blows!

geargrinder 07-11-2009 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan (Post 455714)
You do not need to stop at the scales in OH if you get a green light on pre pass hauling Hazmat if you have the Uniform Hazmat paper in your permit book.

http://www.prepass.com/aboutus/News/Documents/Mar08.pdf

I am sure you are an expert, maybe even a lawyer (or a doctor - all drivers have some elegant past they gave up to do this thankless job) - but until the sign sez "all placarded vehicles stop - EXCEPT .................." I will stop, or take the scenic route. A few months ago an OH State Trooper, told be yes stop, then the geniuses at Superior issue a memo - no don't stop.

Frankly, I'm not interested in a legal debate with the fuzz.

mike3fan 07-11-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geargrinder (Post 455717)
I am sure you are an expert, maybe even a lawyer (or a doctor - all drivers have some elegant past they gave up to do this thankless job)

Never said I was an expert, I just stated the facts and provided a link, you can do with it what you want.

wsyrob 07-11-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geargrinder (Post 455708)
If I don't need a placards I will rip em off with my teeth. I run across OH a lot. Superior sez we don't need to stop with the green, the sign at the scale sez we do. I follow what the sign sez. I turned down hot placards a couple weeks ago cuz the crap was 210 and not 212. Not ripping you, but complacency and dedicated go hand in hand.

I follow the sign as well but I don't rip placards off trailers. That's for the tank wash boys to do. I sure wouldn't want to explain to Mr DOT man why my bill of laden says "elevated temperature liquid" and I don't have a HOT placard up there. I am pretty sure he will not believe that a "lazy truck driver" took the time to take them down and will assume that I ran the entire load without them.

In the case of my dedicated trailer that would have been the worse thing I could have done since those Hot placards also have the UN number on them and all that info was on the bills. I would have actually deserved a ticket had I removed them.

geargrinder 07-12-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsyrob (Post 455774)
I follow the sign as well but I don't rip placards off trailers. That's for the tank wash boys to do. I sure wouldn't want to explain to Mr DOT man why my bill of laden says "elevated temperature liquid" and I don't have a HOT placard up there. I am pretty sure he will not believe that a "lazy truck driver" took the time to take them down and will assume that I ran the entire load without them.

In the case of my dedicated trailer that would have been the worse thing I could have done since those Hot placards also have the UN number on them and all that info was on the bills. I would have actually deserved a ticket had I removed them.

Once MT it's no longer an elevated temperature material - there is no residual heat. It no longer meets the definition of 171.8. U can leave the placard(s) on or remove - your choice.

geargrinder 07-12-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan (Post 455754)
Never said I was an expert, I just stated the facts and provided a link, you can do with it what you want.

I apologize for the jerk wad response.

wsyrob 07-12-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geargrinder (Post 455812)
Once MT it's no longer an elevated temperature material - there is no residual heat. It no longer meets the definition of 171.8. U can leave the placard(s) on or remove - your choice.

But it still has to have the UN number on the tank right? I can see your point if the only identifying item on the placard identifies temperature. In this case it also identified the chemical on the Hot placard. Look at the picture again. I think you are asking for trouble if you remove it. Like you said to another poster, you don't want to argue law with DOT on the side of the road.

geargrinder 07-18-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsyrob (Post 455832)
But it still has to have the UN number on the tank right? I can see your point if the only identifying item on the placard identifies temperature. In this case it also identified the chemical on the Hot placard. Look at the picture again. I think you are asking for trouble if you remove it. Like you said to another poster, you don't want to argue law with DOT on the side of the road.

I do appear a bit ambiguous! The UN3257 is your basically liquid (no other hazardous properties - could be water, or any other non-haz liquid) shipped at 100C or above. Once MT, no hazard. I remove the placards so I don't need to follow HAZMAT routing, stopping at RR Tracks, etc.

Presumably, you wouldn't have been stopped for a HAZMAT inspection if you weren't placarded. NJ is great for waiving everyone through but trucks with placards.

Seems leaving the placards is just a convenience thing because the trailer is dedicated and never gets cleaned. Anyone else care to chime in?

Carlo must have bolted us, and this thread is dying without him!

Been busy, but can't seem to get any runs that let me stretch my legs. Plus, summer is half over and all I have done is work - not good.

I see Sirius (and I guess XM) is raising the rates $1.98 per month for US Music Royalty Fee. I'll dump them when my contract expires in October. The stuff I like to listen to drives me nutz with the endless Chet Holmes and Prolixux commercials and the music channels are cycling like Headline News.

Good day, from a not so Superior driver.

Cyanide 07-18-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geargrinder (Post 456409)
Carlo must have bolted us, and this thread is dying without him!

Been busy, but can't seem to get any runs that let me stretch my legs. Plus, summer is half over and all I have done is work - not good.....

I didn't bolt on y'all just have been busy since my most recent post. Aw heck, you guys will keep this thing going in my absence I'm sure! Yesterday however, was officially my last day and I'm curious as to how long before that old truck I was in is stripped of parts and markings, numbers, logos, etc.

Can't say I finished up on a bad note, as the last couple of weeks went very well. I went from Kankakee to CT, bounced to MA and spent a day in the shop, then bounced to NJ and load for MO, bounced back to IL, then grabbed my final load out-and-back from Chicago to ONT, CAN.

When I post my final numbers many are going to think I was nuts for leaving, but there's always another side to the story that isn't seen. Though I haven't exactly been quiet about things I considered issues, as well as other unspoken items. Just goes w/o saying that I still hold to my opinion that I don't care how well a job pays, if I'm not happy doing it then it isn't worth the hassle and grief.

More later, I need to finish packing up...

:thumbsup:

wsyrob 07-18-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geargrinder (Post 456409)
I do appear a bit ambiguous! The UN3257 is your basically liquid (no other hazardous properties - could be water, or any other non-haz liquid) shipped at 100C or above. Once MT, no hazard. I remove the placards so I don't need to follow HAZMAT routing, stopping at RR Tracks, etc.

Presumably, you wouldn't have been stopped for a HAZMAT inspection if you weren't placarded. NJ is great for waiving everyone through but trucks with placards.

Seems leaving the placards is just a convenience thing because the trailer is dedicated and never gets cleaned. Anyone else care to chime in?

There is also a second #9 placard on each tank so the liquid is considered hazardous. Dispatch goes to the trouble to give the next driver a bill of laden to pull the empty 200 miles to load. Thanks for the input. You make a good point but in this case I don't believe it applies.

I also have been busy but with just the right amount of home time. Last 2 weeks have been 3 out and back 1500-1800 mile dedicated runs that got me through the house every 3-4 days and ended with a long weekend. Monday I will have half a day of local work and then a load from Greensboro to San Antonio to launch me into the system.

I did see a copy of the check list for truck inspections in the shop though I haven't experienced one. Think I am going to grab a blank one Monday if I remember. Mechanics said they are doing a couple per week.

Skywalker 07-19-2009 12:12 AM

Insofar as the state of Ohio and Prepass are concerned:

Ohio signs instructing hazmat haulers to pull into weigh stations for inspection do NOT apply to PrePass trucks receiving a green light. Unless hauling an oversize or overweight load, any PrePass vehicle receiving a green light at these facilities is allowed to bypass. For an official endorsement of this policy, please see the Ohio State Highway Patrol’s website at http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/oper...s/lcs/mce.html, which confirms that “The PrePass signal overrides the posted signs for all trucks including hazardous material placarded vehicles.”

That quotation was copied from the link that Mike3fan posted...... Its clear enough, and so is the memo that was posted in the terminals.

Be careful pulling UN3257 placards off.... I an see where if the tank has actually cooled and is empty.... then the need for the placards is gone. However, I have pulled a load with very specific and strange UN3257 placards.....it was a dual purpose placard..... Corrosive and Hot, so when the tank was empty....the placard had to stay on because of the corrosive residue.

Carlo's gonna be a big ole funky "slacker"......:lol: Oh, wait, whats new about that?:eek2:

sooundman11568 07-21-2009 06:08 PM

skywalker be nice ,, we all know carlo is the king of slackers. i think he is going to be driving a purple truck , i wonder if thats the color you get if you mix the red and blue and white. from his pics of the trucks he posted . he's trying to fool everyone . LOL

Cyanide 07-21-2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sooundman11568 (Post 456747)
Skywalker be nice, we all know Carlo is the king of slackers. I think he is going to be driving a purple truck, I wonder if that's the color you get if you mix the red and blue and white? From his pics of the trucks he posted, he's trying to fool everyone. LOL

:roll3: :whistle: :popcorn:

1catfish 07-27-2009 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker (Post 456477)
Insofar as the state of Ohio and Prepass are concerned:

Ohio signs instructing hazmat haulers to pull into weigh stations for inspection do NOT apply to PrePass trucks receiving a green light. Unless hauling an oversize or overweight load, any PrePass vehicle receiving a green light at these facilities is allowed to bypass. For an official endorsement of this policy, please see the Ohio State Highway Patrol’s website at http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/oper...s/lcs/mce.html, which confirms that “The PrePass signal overrides the posted signs for all trucks including hazardous material placarded vehicles.”

That quotation was copied from the link that Mike3fan posted...... Its clear enough, and so is the memo that was posted in the terminals.

Be careful pulling UN3257 placards off.... I an see where if the tank has actually cooled and is empty.... then the need for the placards is gone. However, I have pulled a load with very specific and strange UN3257 placards.....it was a dual purpose placard..... Corrosive and Hot, so when the tank was empty....the placard had to stay on because of the corrosive residue.

Carlo's gonna be a big ole funky "slacker"......:lol: Oh, wait, whats new about that?:eek2:

with all the guidelines you have to remember when pulling tanks, when i can legally pull off placards or not legally do it, i'm just to simple minded to push the issue.:block:

Orangetxguy 07-27-2009 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1catfish (Post 457213)
with all the guidelines you have to remember when pulling tanks, when i can legally pull off placards or not legally do it, i'm just to simple minded to push the issue.:block:

When you can and can not pull placards is really simple to remember! As long as the tank has not been washed out....You can not legally pull the placards (Not even the 3257 "HOT" placards) off. Simple!

Now...if you are pulling a tank, loaded or not and you have a placard or two missing...YOU must get the missing placard(s) replaced, before moving.

Also......If the tank is a Chemical or Petroleum tank, you either carry a "last contained" invoice, or you carry a "Washout" slip......one or the other. Do not let a dispatcher tell you "You don't need that washout ticket"....the DOT Inspector is going to ask for it or the "last contained" and if you don't have one or the other, you are gonna collect a summons. :deal:

:block: CYA....all the time!!

One of the driver's out of my terminal....a 3 truck "Owner"....pulled a clean acid transport out of the terminal, without the washout ticket in hand. Texas DOT at the Anahuac scales on I-10 asked to see his wash-out ticket, because there were no placards. He did not have said washout ticket. DOT asked for a last contained, and he just happened to have a copy of the last load he pulled, with that trailer. Mr. DOT wrote him a ticket for no placards and an open dome lid. $4500 worth of ticket. :cry: :cry: :pissedoff:

This is how the discussion with management looked, when he tried to get the company to cover his ticket.......:argue:

1catfish 07-27-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 457215)
When you can and can not pull placards is really simple to remember! As long as the tank has not been washed out....You can not legally pull the placards (Not even the 3257 "HOT" placards) off. Simple!

Now...if you are pulling a tank, loaded or not and you have a placard or two missing...YOU must get the missing placard(s) replaced, before moving.

Also......If the tank is a Chemical or Petroleum tank, you either carry a "last contained" invoice, or you carry a "Washout" slip......one or the other. Do not let a dispatcher tell you "You don't need that washout ticket"....the DOT Inspector is going to ask for it or the "last contained" and if you don't have one or the other, you are gonna collect a summons. :deal:

:block: CYA....all the time!!

One of the driver's out of my terminal....a 3 truck "Owner"....pulled a clean acid transport out of the terminal, without the washout ticket in hand. Texas DOT at the Anahuac scales on I-10 asked to see his wash-out ticket, because there were no placards. He did not have said washout ticket. DOT asked for a last contained, and he just happened to have a copy of the last load he pulled, with that trailer. Mr. DOT wrote him a ticket for no placards and an open dome lid. $4500 worth of ticket. :cry: :cry: :pissedoff:

This is how the discussion with management looked, when he tried to get the company to cover his ticket.......:argue:

that's just what i was talking about! so many variables to cover! one less thing to worry about,legal not legal etc. etc.:banghead:

Orangetxguy 07-28-2009 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1catfish (Post 457312)
that's just what i was talking about! so many variables to cover! one less thing to worry about,legal not legal etc. etc.:banghead:

What is so variable??? If there is a placard you do not remove it. Period. Not your job. Nothing hard about that!

It's all the other little things that you are concerned with!! :p

1catfish 07-28-2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 457359)
What is so variable??? If there is a placard you do not remove it. Period. Not your job. Nothing hard about that!

It's all the other little things that you are concerned with!! :p

well, there you go, i've seen the light, hey, i thought your not suppose to go near the light.:lol:

DAVOOTSTER 07-30-2009 10:03 PM

I have a question for you chemical tank drivers, i been offer a driving job with highway transport out of knoxville tn but i will be running out of chattanooga so first is this a good company to work for and is the chemical side of the business is picking up, thank you

Orangetxguy 07-31-2009 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVOOTSTER (Post 457562)
I have a question for you chemical tank drivers, i been offer a driving job with highway transport out of knoxville tn but i will be running out of chattanooga so first is this a good company to work for and is the chemical side of the business is picking up, thank you

Yes.....Highway Transport is a decent gig...."sort of" is the answer to has it picked up. It is still pretty damn thin out here.

geargrinder 08-02-2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVOOTSTER (Post 457562)

Business still sucks. I think any improvement we are seeing is from lay-offs, not replacing drivers that quit, and a very marginal uptick in freight.

OTXGUY. Dome lid unsecured - inexcusable.

This may be an oxymoron - but who's gonna pick up the slack now that Carlo has departed?

Orangetxguy 08-04-2009 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geargrinder (Post 457806)
Business still sucks. I think any improvement we are seeing is from lay-offs, not replacing drivers that quit, and a very marginal uptick in freight.

OTXGUY. Dome lid unsecured - inexcusable.

This may be an oxymoron - but who's gonna pick up the slack now that Carlo has departed?

Actually...On the Gulf Coast, it is acceptable to travel down the road with your dome lid cracked open, after being cleaned. Doing so, keeps the tank from getting condensation inside, due to the dome lid being locked down tight. (Hot and humid down here ya know?)

The particular driver I mentioned did not have a clean slip....only a "last contained" that showed a hazardous substance. In that situation, the dome cracked was a bad choice.

Cyanide 08-05-2009 06:37 AM

SKYWALKER!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0802091316.jpg

:lol2:

My, oh my what a difference...... :roll:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...d012a-Copy.jpg

:clap::rofl::clap:

Orangetxguy 08-05-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyanide (Post 458181)
SKYWALKER!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0802091316.jpg

:lol2:

My, oh my what a difference...... :roll:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...d012a-Copy.jpg

:clap::rofl::clap:

What's with that door driver??? Looks like you already banged it up!!! That color is all wrong!! :lol:

sooundman11568 08-05-2009 04:08 PM

glad you can't see skywalkers face, thats alot of ugly . hmm big red truck i guess your a super slacker now. your going to have to slow down to keep from blowing off the door decals slacker

Cyanide 08-07-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 458213)
What's with that door driver??? Looks like you already banged it up!!! That color is all wrong!! :lol:

Don't you worry about it buddy..... That's how we roll over here at Q.C.!!! Now all I need to do is find a few hoses from some Superior/Miller/Dana/whomever's tanks in the back of the tank wash and I'll fit right in!

:clap: :rofl: :moon: :roll3: :nana:

wsyrob 08-07-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 458213)

Looks like he patched it up with pink duct tape.

Skywalker 08-10-2009 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sooundman11568 (Post 458228)
glad you can't see skywalkers face, thats alot of ugly .

Boy have I got a picture they'd get a kick out of.... remember Kingsport a couple of years ago? :p

Quote:

hmm big red truck i guess your a super slacker now. your going to have to slow down to keep from blowing off the door decals slacker
He's always been a "super slacker"...he's just refining his act now..... But we're going to have to corner him and shake him down for hoses whenever we see him.

That was my tractor nose to nose with his.... Got to see his "new" (to him) tractor....damn I forgot what a big sleeper looked like.... The tractor looked like it was originally a "Red Racer", but there were a couple of items on it that canceled that out... Nice Ride though!!:smokin:

k0rnnut 08-12-2009 02:34 AM

Was woundering how Superior is holding up?

I was just woundering how Superior Carriers was holding up in these tough times. I am looking to join a tanker company as a O/O, and haven't seen any recent post on Superior and what they been up to. Are they holding study, and looking for more drivers, or are they like alot of other companies just struggling to get by? Thanks

Orangetxguy 08-12-2009 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyanide (Post 458454)
Don't you worry about it buddy..... That's how we roll over here at Q.C.!!! Now all I need to do is find a few hoses from some Superior/Miller/Dana/whomever's tanks in the back of the tank wash and I'll fit right in!

:clap: :rofl: :moon: :roll3: :nana:

Someone needs to smack the boy up along-side the head!! QC!! My tired azz!!! :moon: :banghead:

wsyrob 08-12-2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k0rnnut (Post 458847)
they are like alot of other companies just struggling to get by

wsyrob 08-12-2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 458859)
Someone needs to smack the boy up along-side the head!! QC!! My tired azz!!! :moon: :banghead:

Disinformation? My guess is CTL

Skywalker 08-13-2009 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsyrob (Post 458910)
Disinformation? My guess is CTL

QC? Not a chance. CTL? Even less of a chance..... Carlo does have his pride. :clap:

I know what the logo's are on his truck.... I saw him a few days ago...but I'll let him tell y'all.:lol:

DDCavi 08-13-2009 03:45 PM

Well it doesnt look ive been missing much of the Superior fun. Ironically my old terminal manager called me yesterday, said things are slowly picking up and offered me a job once they had a spot. I had to politely decline. Im having way to much fun driving a concrete mixer. 60 hours a week, no problem. Im making about double here then I made at Superior, id have to be nuts to go back... Not to mention a "normal" schedule, and a bunch of other benefits.

To all you guys still trying to make ends meet, goodluck to you and I hope it picks up for you. Drive safe fellas!

sooundman11568 08-13-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker (Post 458968)
QC? Not a chance. CTL? Even less of a chance..... Carlo does have his pride. :clap:

I know what the logo's are on his truck.... I saw him a few days ago...but I'll let him tell y'all.:lol:

i know what the logo is too , and i will tell. Slacker Transport inc.

wsyrob 08-13-2009 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDCavi (Post 459019)
Well it doesnt look ive been missing much of the Superior fun. Ironically my old terminal manager called me yesterday, said things are slowly picking up and offered me a job once they had a spot. I had to politely decline. Im having way to much fun driving a concrete mixer. 60 hours a week, no problem. Im making about double here then I made at Superior, id have to be nuts to go back... Not to mention a "normal" schedule, and a bunch of other benefits.

To all you guys still trying to make ends meet, goodluck to you and I hope it picks up for you. Drive safe fellas!

Just be sure to salt some of that money away. I doubt they do as much concrete work up there in Maine once the snow starts falling this winter. Good luck to you as well.

Orangetxguy 08-14-2009 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker (Post 458968)

whisper....whisper....whisper...whisper :rofl: :D

:micro:

Cyanide 08-15-2009 11:35 PM

Dagnammit Jay, you weren't supposed to tell! :rofl: But since your loose lipped azz can't keep a secret I may as well show it off.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Truck-Copy.jpg

Orangetxguy 08-16-2009 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyanide (Post 459367)
Dagnammit Jay, you weren't supposed to tell! :rofl: But since your loose lipped azz can't keep a secret I may as well show it off.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Truck-Copy.jpg

Dammit Boy!!! Get a tan on that noggin or grow some hair!! The shine is blinding!!! :lol2: :lol2: