Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Superior Carriers and Carry Transit (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/30827-superior-carriers-carry-transit.html)

mbadriver 01-19-2008 09:26 PM

Well i had my meeting with Frank Pike in Rahway.Real nice guy like you said alittle out there,

Franks a good guy. Kind of new and seems to be making things happen.

Let me ask you a question.You start at 41.5 cpm, but is that top pay he didn't say

Not only is 41.5-CPM the top pay, it's also the starting pay. No gimmicks, no games. No carrot dangling just out of reach. In case he didn't mention, we get 34-cpm for empty miles.
We all get paid the same CPM, hourly, and everything else. The only difference I see is that seniority gets you better runs.

also if you have a break down do you get the hourly rate.

Yep you go on hourly.

He told me i will be out 5 to 7 days depending how busy it is .This is all new to me i have a 2 year old at home also have to talk it over with the oldlady so will see .

This is the premier job in trucking (hometime + pay). Apparently, the two of you didn't talk much about the job change. Just tell her all the other companies are a minimum of 14 days out and 2-days at home. Let mommy be mommy and you be the breadwinner - just the way it used to be!

harleypiper 01-19-2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker
Quote:

Originally Posted by harleypiper
Nope, Internationals

I've been hearing all kinds of rumors. One was that they are going to "try some Volvo's"....maybe 20 to see how they work out. Another rumor was that they are going to buy trucks with APU's.....

We'll see.....but one has to remember: A rumor is little more than that. I tend to believe things when I see it happen. A rumor has less value than a pound of :dung: !

I totally agree with that rumor statement, from the military to a p.d. I just tune out. As far as the APU I got that right from Mike and Jack at the training center. But weather its a Volvo, International or even a Chuck Wagon, if their going to buy it, pay me to sleep in it, and let me make money with it, then I guess I can drive it.

Skywalker 01-20-2008 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harleypiper

I totally agree with that rumor statement, from the military to a p.d. I just tune out. As far as the APU I got that right from Mike and Jack at the training center. But weather its a Volvo, International or even a Chuck Wagon, if their going to buy it, pay me to sleep in it, and let me make money with it, then I guess I can drive it.

I would love to have a truck with an APU!! And I agree with you....no matter what make it is...if they buy it, pay me to drive it, and pay me to sleep in it.. I'll drive it!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Skywalker 01-20-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbadriver
Well i had my meeting with Frank Pike in Rahway.Real nice guy like you said alittle out there,

Franks a good guy. Kind of new and seems to be making things happen.

Let me ask you a question.You start at 41.5 cpm, but is that top pay he didn't say

Not only is 41.5-CPM the top pay, it's also the starting pay. No gimmicks, no games. No carrot dangling just out of reach. In case he didn't mention, we get 34-cpm for empty miles.
We all get paid the same CPM, hourly, and everything else.

You're definitely correct. No games, no carrot dangling. Its ALL cut in stone and freely presented. Nothing hidden, and no "maybe's". You do your paperwork, and you get the pay. Also, the mileage pay is based on Practical Miles. There is a slight variation however, from terminal to terminal in the hourly rate for extra work done....that is based on the cost of living in those areas.

Quote:

The only difference I see is that seniority gets you better runs.
To me...that is a little bit of an illusion. Let me explain: If a guy with more "seniority" wants to take a run with more "miles" on it, lets say 1000 going out, and a significant deadhead back to a tankwash....and he does two of those a week....he will actually make "less" money than the driver who does four 500 mile runs in a week. He will get less loading $, less unloading $, and he has greatly reduced his opportunities to make extra $ on the detention $. He just spends more time "driving". Me, I prefer to make the $$....less driving is better. Also, the HOS will limit the overall number of miles he can turn....and depending on the load scheduling... one of the runs mileages may flip over into the following week....unless he remembers to do a "via" on the Qualcomm or MMax. Again, I would actually prefer more shorter runs than two long ones.

Quote:

also if you have a break down do you get the hourly rate.

Yep you go on hourly.

He told me i will be out 5 to 7 days depending how busy it is .This is all new to me i have a 2 year old at home also have to talk it over with the oldlady so will see .

This is the premier job in trucking (hometime + pay). Apparently, the two of you didn't talk much about the job change. Just tell her all the other companies are a minimum of 14 days out and 2-days at home. Let mommy be mommy and you be the breadwinner - just the way it used to be!
In reality, and almost without exception....many OTR companies will expect you to go out and stay out on the road 21 to 30 days....and some of them will make your life absolute hell over getting home. It depends on the company, and where you live. Yes some are good about getting you home....and some are downright "atrocious"...and the way they mis-handle their drivers is one of the reasons why they have 100 to 150% driver turnover rates.

Superior's turnover rate is about 20-25% annually, and a great deal of that is related to older drivers retiring. Its not related to drivers getting pissed off or being kept out on the road for weeks and even months at a time.

If you are not an experienced driver and have the opportunity to get on with Superior.....it would be in your best interest to work to get that job.
You will do better financially and be home to see your wife and child far more than you will with 99.9% of the other companies out there.

Skywalker 01-20-2008 03:11 PM

Oh, one other thing....for those of you who are new with Superior. As far as figuring your paid mileage on a run..... The miles shown on the top center left of the Travel Order....those are not "paid miles"....those are "Tariff Miles". Thats the mileage the customer is charged for. Since we get paid practical miles, our mileage pay is for a larger number of miles. If you ask dispatch, they can give you the miles. In fact, you can ask for and get a printed "practical route"...that you can follow....or route yourself.

rich2189 01-20-2008 06:03 PM

Quote:

Oh, one other thing....for those of you who are new with Superior. As far as figuring your paid mileage on a run..... The miles shown on the top center left of the Travel Order....those are not "paid miles"....those are "Tariff Miles". Thats the mileage the customer is charged for. Since we get paid practical miles, our mileage pay is for a larger number of miles. If you ask dispatch, they can give you the miles. In fact, you can ask for and get a printed "practical route"...that you can follow....or route yourself.

Skywalker thanks for all the great insight, all you guys have been real helpful on this site. I'm just waiting to clear the back round check.....Then hopefully Frank will give me the ok to start training...Thanks to all !

rich2189 01-20-2008 09:54 PM

What are practical miles ?....thanks

wsyrob 01-20-2008 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich2189

Its a program company's use to decide how many miles to pay drivers. I think another program is household movers or something like that. Practical miles are supposed to give drivers about 10% more than the other one. Lots of companies advertise that they pay practical miles.

Skywalker 01-22-2008 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsyrob
Quote:

Its a program company's use to decide how many miles to pay drivers. I think another program is household movers or something like that. Practical miles are supposed to give drivers about 10% more than the other one. Lots of companies advertise that they pay practical miles.

Here's maybe a little better explanation:

HHG, or Household Movers Guide miles....are city limit to city limit....the "shortest possible distance between two points". Its a complete and total ripoff on the driver. Generally speaking it is usually or normally 10 to 15% less paid miles than the driver will have to drive. If a driver works for a company that pays HHG and gets a 1000 mile run, he will more than likely have to drive 1100 to 1150 miles to complete the run.

Practical Miles...is a more realistic number of miles that is based on a truck legal route between two points...it may not be address to address, but at least it will be zipcode to zipcode. It is possible to make a run and drive fewer than the paid miles, though you may also drive a few more than the paid. The difference should be +/- 2 or 3% either way. It is a much more fair and honest pay scheme.

Hub Miles. All mileage is paid "Portal to Portal"....or address to address on a pre-determined and driven route.

mbadriver 01-22-2008 02:00 AM

My favorite. Company I was working at got a subcontract with UPS running mail from Melrose Park, IL to UPS's New Stanton, PA hub. I was one of the first to do the run.

After the run I called up my dispatcher, "Bob, I didn't go 50-yards out of route but I'm darn near a hundred miles over the paid miles."

Turns out the Paid routing was I294, I80/90 (IN OH TPK) and I76 (OH PA TPK) - right about 500-miles. But, and this is a big but - the company ROUTED all drivers down I65 around Indianapolis and onto I70 to avoid paying Tolls - right about 580-miles! At least a 16% difference.

I didn't mind, there's a little "restaurant" across the street from the TA at Dallas Pike, WV. :lol:

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsyrob
Quote:

Here's maybe a little better explanation:

HHG, or Household Movers Guide miles....are city limit to city limit....the "shortest possible distance between two points". Its a complete and total ripoff on the driver. Generally speaking it is usually or normally 10 to 15% less paid miles than the driver will have to drive. If a driver works for a company that pays HHG and gets a 1000 mile run, he will more than likely have to drive 1100 to 1150 miles to complete the run.

Practical Miles...is a more realistic number of miles that is based on a truck legal route between two points...it may not be address to address, but at least it will be zipcode to zipcode. It is possible to make a run and drive fewer than the paid miles, though you may also drive a few more than the paid. The difference should be +/- 2 or 3% either way. It is a much more fair and honest pay scheme.

Hub Miles. All mileage is paid "Portal to Portal"....or address to address on a pre-determined and driven route.