User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 12:52 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Crete is next to turn back their trucks

Just got a message over qualcomm that Crete is turning their trucks back to 62mph. It just keeps getting better and better. Waiting for them to announce how they will make up our lost income due to this decision. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:23 AM

It's getting bad out there, man.

It's hard to get up and work every day when you constantly have thoughts of finding a new occupation or when the next "paycut" is gonna come from.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:54 AM
Board Regular

During a week, month, or year how many miles per day do you average? Maybe 500. Maxing out at 62 isn't going to really change that. Spend a half hour less a day sitting in some truck stop complaining about your job, the economy, and gas prices. Bingo - there's your extra 33-miles.
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:29 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbadriver
During a week, month, or year how many miles per day do you average? Maybe 500. Maxing out at 62 isn't going to really change that. Spend a half hour less a day sitting in some truck stop complaining about your job, the economy, and gas prices. Bingo - there's your extra 33-miles.
Or maybe the dispatchers and Salesmen could work through their lunch breaks for free and book more freight.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:42 AM
Board Regular

You know that's not how it works. They sign on for a salary to do a job, just like a driver does. No sense in eating yourself up with jealousy. Don't see any drivers volunteering to drive a hundred miles for free to make the dispatcher look good, or help the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinge
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbadriver
Or maybe the dispatchers and Salesmen could work through their lunch breaks for free and book more freight.
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:13 AM
Senior Board Member

If more threads like this continue to appear on the forum, I'm going to buy shares of stock in Vagisil. I bet their product sales are going through the roof right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinge
Well, if you don't have freight to move, then it really makes no difference how fast your truck goes, does it? Last time I checked, when I was sitting still, my vehicles was moving at "0".

If people are upset over a difference of a whole three miles per hour (or is it four? I've never seen a Crete truck moving particularly fast), I'd hate to see the reaction when something which will actually make a difference occurs.

But enough of this. I've a plane to Suomi to catch tomorrow 8)
Old 06-05-2008, 03:15 AM
Board Regular

I am sure Jevic's drivers would have appreciated the chance to run at 62mph versus losing their jobs. Count yourself lucky that you still have a job, paycheck and an employer. There are thousands of people being laid off every day in this country right now with little employment prospects. I am sure they would have little sympathy for anyone still employed.

Doesn't matter where you have been, it's where you are going in life that counts!
Old 06-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Board Regular

There's a reason I chose a private company with essentially no debt; so I don't have to wonder if I've got a job in the morning. Sure, it's no guarantee, but it certainly helps.

Karnajj failed to mention that they are also installing APUs, which I consider a bonus.

My complaint about dispatch? The ******* don't even attempt to read messages on the system from the drivers. Or to understand that 'just take your 10 hour break now' doesn't work for me when it involves going to sleep at 3pm, unless you want me to be useless after the next load, cause I'm loopy from lack of quality sleep. (And similarly, don't complain about me not getting my truck serviced when you won't route me through/to a terminal, even after I've told you several times I need a service)
Old 06-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Senior Board Member

I run local and I did a little experiment to see what the time difference is between running 55 or 65. Every once in a while I will have to run to Charlottesville Va, and thats the run I did this experiment with. Heading out From Virginia Beach Va, to Charlottesville took me 3 hours and 16 minutes. Thats running 65, on the cruise the entire way, no restroom breaks, just slowing down for exit ramps. On the way back, the traffic was the same, ran 55 on the cruise, took 3 hours and 21 minutes. 5 minutes difference. But the biggest thing I noticed running 55 ( and 65 also) is when I get blown by the container guys that do 75, 80+ a few miles down the road I catch right back up to them; running 65 in my truck puts the motor at 1500 rpm, 55 puts it about 1250 rpm. So there is a fuel savings there also. I know running 55 seems way slow, but time wise I was even surprised that there wasn't much difference.

There is a difference, but at the end of the day it's nothing. Running 62 isn't going to hurt you in the long run.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Senior Board Member

I'm really surprised :shock: I thought I'd see nothing but P/O Crete drivers slammin Crete, WOW was I wrong. Being turned down won't bother me to much I would like to get compensated for it but I'm also glad to have a job! Not just a job but one that I enjoy and don't have to listen to crap. I run almost 600 mi a day 5 days a week(same run day in day out) so it will impact my time off BUT only by about 1.5-2.5 hrs per week, big deal I can live with that and hope they make it up when things get better