User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 12:58 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hmmm....55mph to 65mph. Driving those speeds CONSTANT seem to me like the difference between 65 and 55. 10 MILES(per hour) 10 times lets SAY 0.43CPM is $4.30. On a normal 10h day thats $43 dollar. In either LOST time or money. However some spin this here, IT IS A PAYCUT! :?
Old 06-06-2008, 01:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADLUX
I run local and I did a little experiment to see what the time difference is between running 55 or 65. Every once in a while I will have to run to Charlottesville Va, and thats the run I did this experiment with. Heading out From Virginia Beach Va, to Charlottesville took me 3 hours and 16 minutes. Thats running 65, on the cruise the entire way, no restroom breaks, just slowing down for exit ramps. On the way back, the traffic was the same, ran 55 on the cruise, took 3 hours and 21 minutes. 5 minutes difference. But the biggest thing I noticed running 55 ( and 65 also) is when I get blown by the container guys that do 75, 80+ a few miles down the road I catch right back up to them; running 65 in my truck puts the motor at 1500 rpm, 55 puts it about 1250 rpm. So there is a fuel savings there also. I know running 55 seems way slow, but time wise I was even surprised that there wasn't much difference.

There is a difference, but at the end of the day it's nothing. Running 62 isn't going to hurt you in the long run.
And this is from some guy who has never driven OTR in his life. :roll: So tell me mad dog or whatever your name is, how long have you had your cdl? Way less than a year I bet.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 06-06-2008, 01:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh
There's a reason I chose a private company with essentially no debt; so I don't have to wonder if I've got a job in the morning. Sure, it's no guarantee, but it certainly helps.

Karnajj failed to mention that they are also installing APUs, which I consider a bonus.

My complaint about dispatch? The ******* don't even attempt to read messages on the system from the drivers. Or to understand that 'just take your 10 hour break now' doesn't work for me when it involves going to sleep at 3pm, unless you want me to be useless after the next load, cause I'm loopy from lack of quality sleep. (And similarly, don't complain about me not getting my truck serviced when you won't route me through/to a terminal, even after I've told you several times I need a service)
Didn't fail to mention squat. APU's have no bearing whatsoever to this discussion.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinit
I am sure Jevic's drivers would have appreciated the chance to run at 62mph versus losing their jobs. Count yourself lucky that you still have a job, paycheck and an employer. There are thousands of people being laid off every day in this country right now with little employment prospects. I am sure they would have little sympathy for anyone still employed.
So when is enough, enough? How much more do we have to take? Using your skewed logic slaves in the 19th century should have been grateful that they had a job and could feed their family!?!? How far are you willing to let things get before you get fed up? I stay away from the house for 4-5 weeks at a time in order to pay the bills. Last year I was home for a total of 66 days! Now I find out that I can't make as much money as I am used to because Crete is turning down the speed on my truck? On top of that I get a message from my terminal manager saying that I idled too much last week?
I spent two days in Houston with the temps in the 90's because there was no freight due to the holiday. What do they expect me to do? Go sit in the truck stop and stare at people for entertainment? Get a motel and not get compensated? Hook up to idle air and pay for it out of my own pocket? I don't think so.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnajj
Quote:
I am sure Jevic's drivers would have appreciated the chance to run at 62mph versus losing their jobs. Count yourself lucky that you still have a job, paycheck and an employer. There are thousands of people being laid off every day in this country right now with little employment prospects. I am sure they would have little sympathy for anyone still employed.
So when is enough, enough? How much more do we have to take? Using your skewed logic slaves in the 19th century should have been grateful that they had a job and could feed their family!?!? How far are you willing to let things get before you get fed up? I stay away from the house for 4-5 weeks at a time in order to pay the bills. Last year I was home for a total of 66 days! Now I find out that I can't make as much money as I am used to because Crete is turning down the speed on my truck? On top of that I get a message from my terminal manager saying that I idled too much last week?
I spent two days in Houston with the temps in the 90's because there was no freight due to the holiday. What do they expect me to do? Go sit in the truck stop and stare at people for entertainment? Get a motel and not get compensated? Hook up to idle air and pay for it out of my own pocket? I don't think so.
I read that and you took a page right out of the book of my life..

Whats a fellow to do ?

Good question...

Go to work at the Home Depot and suffer once more under some 'Manger Puppet' who will in some way find a way that will also intrude on your existence for the betterment of himself and the machine that feeds us all.

Dude...this shit is turning out to be some sort of existential philosophy for 2008..!!! :P

Revolution Calling !

:lol:

I have boiled the 'Trucking Life' down to 2 things...

2000 miles a week...and an APU to get a cool nites rest....and this is a long reach :wink:

I have sat in Texas for 3 days and had my dispatch tell me basically I will not have a job if I keep idling the truck....and a week earlier Safety broadcast a message about a driver having a heat stroke and that we all need to be conscious of staying cool...go figure :sad:
Old 06-06-2008, 02:08 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Didn't fail to mention squat. APU's have no bearing whatsoever to this discussion.
The APU notification was in the same Qualcomm message. It has bearing because in addition to dropping our speed, they are installing APUs to help keep costs down in the long run. 2000 APU installs is a not insignificant expenditure.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:04 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:

That is pathetic , I feel for you . OTR Driving is a rollercoaster ride of ups and downs with LTL it's smooth sailing or a total disaster , no in beween . But once your in , it's the way to go . Yellow in Cincy is hiring city drivers and casual dock workers if your interested . Also try indeed.com and search for cdl drivers , there are a boatload of good jobs in the Cincy area . Good luck and hope things get better at CCC .
Old 06-06-2008, 04:34 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="JeffTheTerrible"]

If more threads like this continue to appear on the forum, I'm going to buy shares of stock in Vagisil. I bet their product sales are going through the roof right now!

"Vagisil", Jeff??

More like "Vasaline", "AnalEze", and "Preparation H"!!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADLUX
I run local and I did a little experiment to see what the time difference is between running 55 or 65. Every once in a while I will have to run to Charlottesville Va, and thats the run I did this experiment with. Heading out From Virginia Beach Va, to Charlottesville took me 3 hours and 16 minutes. Thats running 65, on the cruise the entire way, no restroom breaks, just slowing down for exit ramps. On the way back, the traffic was the same, ran 55 on the cruise, took 3 hours and 21 minutes. 5 minutes difference. But the biggest thing I noticed running 55 ( and 65 also) is when I get blown by the container guys that do 75, 80+ a few miles down the road I catch right back up to them; running 65 in my truck puts the motor at 1500 rpm, 55 puts it about 1250 rpm. So there is a fuel savings there also. I know running 55 seems way slow, but time wise I was even surprised that there wasn't much difference.

There is a difference, but at the end of the day it's nothing. Running 62 isn't going to hurt you in the long run.
And this is from some guy who has never driven OTR in his life. :roll: So tell me mad dog or whatever your name is, how long have you had your cdl? Way less than a year I bet.
Yes I have driven OTR, and I have used my cdl for 3 years now and going.

So want to try your little games and remarks again :wink:

Old 06-06-2008, 01:36 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Wow. At this rate, Heartland will be able to pass everybody. :P

On a more serious note, though, it's all about changing and adapting. The trucking industry is going through some of the most difficult times ever and companies are folding right and left. Those companies that survive will be those that make changes and adapt to the changing conditions in the industry. Those drivers that remain drivers will also be those that adapt.

Dropping the speed of the fleet is a move designed to reduce fuel expenditures and keep a company in business. I'm not going to get into the whole pay-cut argument because I don't buy into the claim that it is a pay-cut. What I will point out, though, is that you're an employee of the company. You are not in management or on the board of directors and you don't fall into the category of someone that is going to be consulted about just such a change. Complaining about it will avail you nothing and your choices are pretty clear.

1. You adapt to the changes, just like your company is adapting to the changes.

2. You quit and look for another driving job, keeping in mind that most other companies are dropping their truck speeds, too. Some guys might get lucky and land a job that is better than thier current one. But the majority will only find themselves in a similar or worse situation.

3. You leave the industry.

The trucking industry is currently in the midst of a pretty serious storm. But storms do eventually abate. Where you will be when the storm is over is really up to you.