User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2014, 05:00 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

DriveItUSA ... I see you've been with Werner since May. Now that you have been driving for them about 6 months, what do you think about the company? ... I considered driving for them years ago, but went with May Trucking out of Utah instead. Any thoughts on their policy's and etc.. ?

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 01-20-2015, 09:12 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4roses View Post
DriveItUSA ... I see you've been with Werner since May. Now that you have been driving for them about 6 months, what do you think about the company? ... I considered driving for them years ago, but went with May Trucking out of Utah instead. Any thoughts on their policy's and etc.. ?
been with since February 5th to be exact. Started training on Feb 11th. Finished training on March 27th.

They're ok. Not the greatest, not the worst. Like most any company they have their drama and their bs too.

Just stay away from the OTR side. you wont make much there. $500-$600 a week consistently BEFORE taxes, with a few $600-$800 weeks thrown in every now and then.

I moved over to a dedicated account back in July and make $900 a week guaranteed. as long as I'm available, and ready to work. If the truck breaks down, I still get paid. Mon-Fri. weekends off, but have to work a half day every other Saturday. not too bad.

like most mega's their idle policy blows goat balls. they want you at 25% or less. aside from that, none of their rules are so bad I can't handle them. Just drive the truck, obey the laws, and do your pre-trip, most everyone will stay out of your hair.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:45 PM
Rookie

Congratulations on your new career! I'm happy to see it's working out for you. I too followed your thread on the other board and enjoyed it. As far as advise, the best I can give you after 38 years in the biz is to watch out for the moment when you "got it down pat". That's when the first DOT reportable or backing accident always happens! Most folks get it down after about a year or so and then become sloppy. Some folks it takes three or four years, but I can assure you, the moment you lose respect for the vehicle you're driving and become an "expert", bad things happen! I have millions of safe miles under my belt because I never lose respect for the 70 or 80,000 pounds under my butt! That and I worked team with an O/O for the first 10 years of my career. :-) Safety in this business is all about avoiding other people's mistakes -- it seems like there is always someone out there trying to test your driving skills -- be ready for them!

So maybe I do have a few words of advice... Never park on the end of a middle row in the truck stop! Someone coming around that corner always wants to give you a kiss! Never tailgate! Oh, and while backing? I think of what my father taught me on the farm 45 years ago... master going straight back. If it moves to the right, turn to the right -- if it moves to the left, turn to the left. So if you're doing a 90 into a dock for example, it's moving to the right! Watching the trailer tandem is your best guide for backing. Most places (docks) will have lines on the ground. I work on getting both wheels parallel to within 6 or 8 inches of the line. That's the most simple way to do it IMO.

And finally, never blind-side unless absolutely necessary! I was in the Pilot in Indy last week and I saw a dude struggling to blind-side into the back row and there were NO other trucks anywhere near him! SMH... If you want to be prepared for the very few times you'll need to blind-side, search for "large vanity mirror" on ebay and get you one to clip onto the passenger sun visor. Flip it down when you need to blind-side and you'll get a nice clear shot of the right side of the trailer without moving from your seat! Years ago, they sold these in truck stops. They were called backing buddies, but I haven't seen them in years -- should be standard equipment on all tractors!

There's probably a thousand more things I can think of once I get started :-) But that's all for now! Keep up the good work! Keep a smile on your face! Smile and tolerate all the nasty people you'll meet! Oh, and by all means, do NOT turn down your CB in the truck stop when you're backing!! When you pull in all bleary eyed after a long hard day in the weather and you can't quite hit that parking spot? Shout out for some help on the radio! Me and a thousand other people would be glad to help!!
Old 03-19-2015, 01:39 PM
Rookie

Please give me a call if you would like to see what we can offer you. I would love to talk to you about a career with our company. DSW Transport: 704-750-4900 X703 or 704-418-8878.