User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default My Imagination, or Are Companies Easing Up on Hiring Qualifications ??

I've seen a lot of job ads for drivers stating things like "no more than 2 dui's in last 5 years" and "2 years driving experience in last 5 years". A couple years ago, no companies would hire anyone with a dui in the last 5 years ( or ever), and they all wanted no gaps of more than a few months in recent driving history. Maybe the alleged "shortage" of drivers is real now, and companies are desperate for drivers ???

ZW
Old 04-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Rookie

I hope so cause I need a job.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:53 AM
Rookie

I'm no wise man, but here is what I've noticed. Between (C.S.A.) and (D.A.C.) many drivers are falling through the cracks, of not able to work, or be hired. Everybody is in a rat race to the bottom, to avoid the feds, and ever raising fines, by hanging out on craigslist, and the puppy mill driver schools, trying to find any soul to put behind the wheel. I've seen insane hiring bonus claims (please) but ever more slipping, in (Pay Per Mile).

There isn't a driver shortage, it's a lack of clean records, and willing souls to haul cheap freight, for lower wages then ever before..... Call me wrong, just my three and a quarter cents.... <----inflation you know.....
Old 05-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Rookie

The last post is correct. The companies have learned that thier panic about CSA was overblown, and hiring a driver with some faults, however not DWI, is not detrimental to thier rating. The insurance still rules. It is still beneficial to hire new drivers with (fairly) clean records at a cheap rate. That being said, they do NOT have enough drivers to haul all of the loads on time. If you are an experienced driver with few blemishes you should explore options with other carriers, and then ask your employer for a raise. You will find that you are worth 42 cpm. and can get a nice signing bonus. Remember, right now your company does not want to lose you.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Board Regular

Tired of people postiing made up bull****. There is and has always been a huge driver shortage. I can have 10 jobs in the next few hours and never lleave my chair. Theres no other profession in the U.S that can say that. There is a lot of freight that sits... if you dont believe me check the boards. Most of us wont take cheap freight, wont run dead zones without $$$$ etc. The shippers just put those loads out and let them sit til someone has to get somewhere or one of the crap carriiers (swift/werner etc) grab it for fuel money. Otherwise they raise their rates or it rots.

I doubt you saw 2 dui's in the last 5. Most companies will take 1 over 5 years ago. I dont know of any that will take 2 duis or one < 5 years.

I agree with naildriver though it seems they are lowering standards. But experience is golden in trucking as always... we're WORTH the extra money plus some.

As for csa it is a HUGE deal. Co drivers dont realise it but if your co doesnt have an excellent csa they lose a lot of loads.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Rookie

One of the largest reasons for these allowances is because of the oil field work. It seems like with the money that can be made up here and the flexible schedules, that all owner ops would be interested in oil field work. There is definitely no shortage of jobs out there for owner ops. I personally am looking for about 30 trucks right now and it seems I am in the same boat with everyone else out here. Pay is great but hard to find owner ops!