User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictruckman View Post
Just wondering about this statement Instigator, do you mean that the company wanted you to drive slow or they were over working you and expecting you to drive above and beyond the limit?
Noooooo...... I believe he's hoping to find someone that doesn't CASTRATE their trucks and govern them to 65.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure I understand that line of thinking these days. I drive a truck that can do 65 when I want to cruise, if I'm pushing I can get 70 out of it and I'm somewhat running with traffic around here. I went to test drive a truck for my brother's company which can do triple digits. While it was nice to be able to actually run with traffic it wasn't a big deal I found.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Board Icon

West of the Mississippi, you want to go like hell... and they let you.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I still rarely do over 65 even west of the big creek.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
West of the Mississippi, you want to go like hell... and they let you.
. At least until you get out of West Memphis :smokin:
Old 12-14-2011, 12:37 AM

Ahhh Kate finally someone who understands me! lol Yes the one company that fired me with out good cause I think the dispatch and my boss was intimidated by me because I ask a lot of questions. IDK when they say 600 per week for training ( 4 weeks) and then they send you out on your own to run 3400 miles per week, I will ask why? Why would you expect a driver to work for less than minimum wage? I did good work for them (Double Bogey) I fixed problems, I mad up for incompetent dispatch who would forget to tell me what to do next like I could guess! All in all I think I found the right job for me at Pritchet Trucking hauling local, do my job and go home same stuff day in and day out, thats what i want.
Just an old school trucker, these kids today don't know how good they have it! Power steering, a/c, air ride cabs and trailers, air ride seats! I did not have any of these things when I started driving.
Drive an old Mack, White or GMC then tell me how good a driver you are!issedoff: :bow::lol2: Don't even get me started on backing in to a dock!ops:

Instigator!~
Old 12-14-2011, 12:39 AM

Actually I was referring to the speed of the truck, at the last job they had no governor, I could drive any speed I wanted. My new job is 65 mph but I dont care cause I am only driving 40 miles each way no big deal.
Just an old school trucker, these kids today don't know how good they have it! Power steering, a/c, air ride cabs and trailers, air ride seats! I did not have any of these things when I started driving.
Drive an old Mack, White or GMC then tell me how good a driver you are!issedoff: :bow::lol2: Don't even get me started on backing in to a dock!ops:

Instigator!~
Old 03-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Rookie

What you describe is the number one problem with the trucking industry as far as drivers go. Driver managers either make you or break you and with larger companies they 'break' more drivers than they 'make' since most DM's are managing 25-50 trucks. They don't pay any attention to your comm w/ them just the numbers related to your hours available and the hours required to deliver loads. All other issues like you describe here don't matter to them. They matter to the safety department but not logistics. They put the drivers in the middle and terminate you if you don't perform and maximize the truck's profit potential. That is what it is all about and the only way a driver can stay employed is if you can master maximizing the truck's profit potential. These are the hard facts. It takes some time and maybe a few job changes. Don't feel bad, this industry has approx 70% turnover rate yearly. ---Also you did not mention the name of the company? Some of these larger companies don't want too many 'veteran' drivers,.. they want mostly rookies and some of them terminate quickly with no warning (which makes you eligable for unemployment).