User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I read all that and from what I could tell of you from it I wouldn't hire you. To me it sounds like you blame someone else for all your problems instead of yourself.
And who do YOU blame when you know it is not YOUR fault? Or, is it always your fault? Humility is good. Self awareness and introspection is good. But, defiance in the face of injustice is what made America great. I read the same account you did, and I thought he did all he could to get the job done. I would hire a driver like that in a New York minute!

Your name isn't TOM, is it? :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
And who do YOU blame when you know it is not YOUR fault? Or, is it always your fault? Humility is good. Self awareness and introspection is good. But, defiance in the face of injustice is what made America great. I read the same account you did, and I thought he did all he could to get the job done. I would hire a driver like that in a New York minute!

Your name isn't TOM, is it? :lol:
Nope name isn't Tom.

I agree with you wrote. Just the feeling I got from the post is he was blaming everyone but, himself for everything that happened when some of it more than likely could have been avoided with a simple phone call on Thursday evening.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:14 PM
Board Icon

We're cool, Not Tom. Like someone said.... pick your battles. Everyone here has an opinion.

BTW... that phone call SHOULD have come from dispatch. Drivers should never HAVE to make a call to find out what the company has planned for their "power unit" and the very valuable "resource" they represent to the company.

Welcome to the board.

Hobo

Last edited by golfhobo; 10-18-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:23 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
I wasn't the one saying you were judgemental, Timberwolf. You had an opinion and expressed it. You made some good points. As a "career move," job hopping is not a good idea. And in this economy, one should think real hard before quitting on a paycheck. But, no driver should have to put up with a bunch of chit from employers.

As I said, trucking is a very "individual" thing. Some might LIKE to keep experiencing new things... others might like security. Point is, having a CDL gives you many options in life. And ONE of them is saying FU to companies that take advantage of you or treat you like dirt.

Just "judging" by his account of this one situation, I believe Instigator was right to feel he had been wronged. He even said that he liked the job and would have stayed with it for a good while, I'm sure. Some people (like me,) are prone to suffer abuses longer than others. Others have a more gypsy attitude that allows them to move on whenever a foul wind blows.
Hobo I realize you were not calling me judgemental, not even sure if "One" had directed it towards me or not?, I was just inputting my un-solicited two cents just because I can, It's an ego thing.... Something about his post and the fact that he admits over 7 jobs in one year just seems a little juvenile to me. At some point in life you have to look in the mirror and ask yourself it is me??? Can he really say all of his last 10 jobs were decitful and screwing him out of money each and every time?? I find the odds of this (even in this business hard to believe)
I have only been driving since the end of 04 and have worked for a total of 4 companies since that time 2.5 years at CCC not the best company in the world yet they gave me experience and confidence behind the wheel left on good terms to go work UPS Freight for 1 year, left because of my herniated disc, The teamsters and the thought of having to work the dock because I was on the low end of senority left on good terms to work for Florida Rock for two years another fair company that trained me to pull fuel and in fact i would still be with them had it not been for the fact that Mansfield came into town like a hurricane and took back all of their buisness leaving me to fear getting laid off, so I went to were the business is and have not looked back since and dmn glad i did Mansfield is an amazing company to work for I love this job and will be here until I retire or die which ever comes first.
My point is that at all of these jobs i can find something that I do not like about them, I can complain that at times i have not been paid fairly, I can say that "yes" they have lied to me at one point or another. This is the reality of life there is no such thing as a perfect job, a perfect life or a perfect blowjob for that matter.. Every week when I deduct payments for my kids 529, our IRA's and all the other bills we pay I quickly realize where my priorities lie and it becomes a no brainer choice for me that I am very happy to make.. To each their own and I wish him luck in looking for a new job in Transportation however with so many jobs in such a short time period it will catch up to him rather soon, if not already... I truly wish him luck and hope he finds what he is looking for I just feel he needs to lower his expectations just a bit. Reminds me of the biblical saying "Pride goeth before destruction" (Pride before the fall) and he just may be very close to letting his pride drop him face first on the floor... Just saying..

Timberwolf
Old 10-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Board Icon

Let's remember that he didn't quit on them, they quit on him this time. I'd be interested in what happened previously for the other jobs.

Kentla, I obviously missed it, where did he say this was his 7th job in a year?
Old 10-19-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
We're cool, Not Tom. Like someone said.... pick your battles. Everyone here has an opinion.

BTW... that phone call SHOULD have come from dispatch. Drivers should never HAVE to make a call to find out what the company has planned for their "power unit" and the very valuable "resource" they represent to the company.

Welcome to the board.

Hobo
Granted the phone call should have come from dispatch but, it didn't. So maybe he should have given dispatch a call and asked them if they had anything for Friday.(Especially if he was used to getting a call from them everyday.) If they didn't he should then tell them his plan and when he would be back on the yard. Would have saved allot of headaches.

Thanks for the welcome to the board.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:50 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Granted the phone call should have come from dispatch but, it didn't. So maybe he should have given dispatch a call and asked them if they had anything for Friday.(Especially if he was used to getting a call from them everyday.) If they didn't he should then tell them his plan and when he would be back on the yard. Would have saved allot of headaches.

Thanks for the welcome to the board.
I think we agree that he COULD have taken the initiative to make the call, but that doesn't excuse dispatch for NOT making the call. I think he thought they KNEW he was out of hours and needed to take his 10 hr break.

So... not knowing ALL of the details, are you still standing by your statement that you wouldn't HIRE him? Given his account of who didn't do what... none of it HIS fault... do you still defend the company for firing him without cause?

I deal with stupidity from dispatchers and "higher ups" every day. I try not to vocalize my contempt, because it would look bad on my employer (Independent Contractor) and for now I'd like to keep my job. But... that doesn't mean I can't come on here and blow off some steam to fellow drivers about it!

I believe that is the totality of Instigator's post. That is the way I took it. I didn't see an invitation to criticize or opine. I saw a driver expressing his frustration with the "industry."

I feel his pain even tho I've probably never walked in his shoes. Something tells me that you haven't either.

Just sayin'

Hobo

Old 10-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Let's remember that he didn't quit on them, they quit on him this time. I'd be interested in what happened previously for the other jobs.

Kentla, I obviously missed it, where did he say this was his 7th job in a year?
He talks about his seven jobs in the past year on the" your disgusting thread". You are right that he was fired my perception from just reading his post history is that he makes ppl aware of his dissatisfaction many times over which in my opinion puts a target on your back... that's all I was trying to say in my first response. Pick and choose your battles... life is to short... timberwolf
Old 11-08-2011, 08:39 PM

Timberwolf, you are an interesting dude. I guess in your eyes its ok to work for a company that you know is ripping you off each week? Not me, sorry but I am old school and I wont work for a company that is being dishonest with me, shorting my miles, not paying me what they said they would, or pulling some other type of driver scams. All of the jobs I had this year I left due to the companies pulling some sort of shenanigan on me, of coarse I will admit that job number 2 was at best my own fault for opening my mouth when it was truly needed, but it did cost me my job, oh well live and learn. The other jobs I left for good reasons, one of them I was unjustly fired from as a matter of fact, after talking to them about it, they did agree to say I was laid off rather than say I was terminated becasue they did finally agree that the reasoning was not that good ans that I just wanst a good fit for "them", you dont get along with everyone out there, so be it, I moved on.

Do I rant a little? Sure I do, I guess thats just me, I am venting in pure frustration regarding the trucking industry. maybe its a Florida thing because I never had a problem when I trucked in New York. Maybe its a southern thing, they have no work ethic or moral values like some of us "northerners", I guess I will never know but for now, if you cheat me, screw me on my pay, or miss treat me, yes I will chose to leave and protect my good reputation and license.

There is a good reason why I dont have any tickets or accidents on my record, I am an excellent driver with good moral values and I wont let anyone screw that up for me.
Just an old school trucker, these kids today don't know how good they have it! Power steering, a/c, air ride cabs and trailers, air ride seats! I did not have any of these things when I started driving.
Drive an old Mack, White or GMC then tell me how good a driver you are!issedoff: :bow::lol2: Don't even get me started on backing in to a dock!ops:

Instigator!~
Old 11-08-2011, 08:46 PM

Oh, and I just wanted to mention one more thing, the reason why I get re-hired all the time is because even after I leave a job, I try to leave on good terms and get a good referral from them. Once someone road tests me and they see how well I can drive, I usually get offered a job on the spot. Good drivers are hard to find and I have certainly mastered my craft over the years, my driving experience speaks for itself on my road tests. I dont pick gears, I shift like butter, I dont run red lights or drive too fast, I shift at a low rpm not trying to win a race, I have many years of backing in trailers in NYC and 5 boroughs of Manhattan so I can back up very well, my experience is what sells me all the time and my expertise in the field. I will never be unemployed in this industry, I am that good!

I know thats a little cocky but hey, its good to be ........me!

Hahahahahahaha enjoy your day and safe driving out there!
Just an old school trucker, these kids today don't know how good they have it! Power steering, a/c, air ride cabs and trailers, air ride seats! I did not have any of these things when I started driving.
Drive an old Mack, White or GMC then tell me how good a driver you are!issedoff: :bow::lol2: Don't even get me started on backing in to a dock!ops:

Instigator!~