User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 02:29 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Schneider regional?

I just got a gig fresh out of school to be a regional driver with Schneider. Is this a good move I will be doing a Manchester CT. to Jersey run then to PA. I've been self employed for 15 years and a steady paycheck will be nice not to mention a paid week off.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:56 PM

I'm not sure how things are with Schneider today but I can remember a time when if you wanted to run west and stray far from home and get decent miles, you needed to ask for "regional" assignment ... and if you wanted to piddle around with 1800 miles weeks in the NE, ask for 48 state longhaul.

Just understand, these "particular regional jobs" never last forever, and the one time you absolutely need to be home a weekend, you will end up in FL or GA staring out a windshield at a dumpster all weekend. I would assume they are offering you some sort of position with a dedicated account, which is fine, but again, these rarely last more than 6-9 months until Schneider (or the driver(s)) pisses the customer off or the customer finds a better deal somewhere else. If it's not a dedicated account, I can almost guarantee you this "route" you mention will occur only occasionally and you will find yourself in OH, MD, VA, SC, GA, FL, etc more often than you might care to be.

Last edited by rkeck; 10-03-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info rkeck. I'll put my miles in then hope for a local gig. My family has a trucking company but no work, they have
plenty of connections but they won't hire without experience so I guess I'll bite my tongue and drive orange for a year. Glad I don't have kids.