User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Flatbed Training TMC Vs. Maverick

I already have a CDL and have a few months experience in driving Van OTR. I am looking to make a change due to pay issues and miles with my current co. What I would like to know is what is the difference in the training that I would recieve between TMC and Maverick flatbed co. What I am looking for is location of training (i live in NC), duration of training and pay and accomadations while going through training. I have read alot of the other threads about both co. but not much covering someone who already has driving experience, just needing flatbed training.
Any help would be appreciated.

D
Old 02-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Mav

For info on Maverick, there used to be a poster named "Skills" who posted here and on a blog at truck.net. As far as I know, he's still pulling for 'em. Do an archives search, something will probably come up. BOL
Old 02-22-2007, 09:50 PM
Rookie

Maverick specialzed division trains in Laurinburg NC and TMC trains in Columbia SC. They both have outstanding programs just need to decide if you want a manual or autoshift, other than the transmission they are two top notch companies.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Define a few months? If you have less than a year verifiable experience, Maverick will most likely put you through the entire training program (driving with a trainer included, unless you do well enough on the driving test and simulator to prove them otherwise. They do put a lot of trust in their trainers' discretion however, so even if you went out with one it may only be for a week. Call a recruiter to find out for sure on this though.

If all you need is the flatbed training you will probably spend at least a week in the barn working on that. It really all depends upon how well you catch on. You will have to test out and show proficiency on virtually every load scenario that they teach you in the barn and the testing part will take 1-2 days in it's own if you are testing by yourself. If you have to go out with a trainer you probably won't do as in depth training because you will get some training on the road and then test out when you come back for your truck assignment.

Training is held in Little Rock. They have their own hotel on the premises, not the Hilton but very well kept. You won't spend a whole lot of time in your room anyway. They do buy your lunch for the first few days and they will give you 50 bucks cash on the first day of orientation. Once you are officially hired on Wednesday you will be able to draw up to $200 per week in cash advances just like if you were already driving for them. They have a few vans and a couple of cars that trainees can sign out to get something to eat, run to Wal-Mart, etc... You're not trapped there during your free time which you won't have much of for the first few days of orientation/training. Pay during training both in the barn and out with a trainer is $100 per day. You'll make 600-700 per week during training. Nothing to base your sole decision on, but it gives you an idea of what to expect. The recruiter will tell you $500 per week in training, but it is 100/day. You will most likely spend both Saturday and Sunday in the barn so it's really 700.

Don't know anything about TMC's training, perhaps Fred will reply soon. My guess is that you will still have a pretty elaborate training program with them also just for the securement side. Both companies will want you thoroughly trained before they cut you loose.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Earth, North America, North, East, 9th State, 42° 56' 1" N, 72° 16' 41" W
Default Re: Flatbed Training TMC Vs. Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyM
I already have a CDL and have a few months experience in driving Van OTR. I am looking to make a change due to pay issues and miles with my current co. What I would like to know is what is the difference in the training that I would recieve between TMC and Maverick flatbed co. What I am looking for is location of training (i live in NC), duration of training and pay and accomadations while going through training. I have read alot of the other threads about both co. but not much covering someone who already has driving experience, just needing flatbed training.
Any help would be appreciated.

D
TMC has a facility in Columbia, SC. I went there and would recommend Des Moines for all aspects of training. In SC you stay in a not-so-great hotel. In Des Moines you stay in a nice hotel with sauna, pool, hot tub, etc., that is right on the TMC campus.

Both companies are REALLY into safety, securement, and quality service. The differences are small.

The training for experienced drivers is different. TMC will test your driving when you go to orientation and either put you on a:
1. Regular schedule of 2 weeks orientation and 6 weeks training @ $350 per week while training.
2. 1 week orientaion and 2-4 weeks training @ $500 per week while training.

I don't know how they will feel about "a few months experience". It is best to call Matt in recruiting.

Good luck.
Proverbs 12:24, God, A really long time ago.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Board Regular

I am pretty sure that Maverick is doing some training in NC now, but may be for specialized drivers only. I'm not sure...you definitely need to ask a recruiter. Since your in NC, you might want to look into the specialized division anyway. Personally, I think it would be a pretty cool job part of the time. The rest of the time, well, it would be j.o.b. LOL.

As far as quality of training. I think both companies will offer excellent training. I know Maverick does.

Best of luck!

Arky
Old 02-23-2007, 11:36 PM
Rookie

talking with angie from maverick she said training in NC is for specialized and that a deal were u are out for two weeks at a time
if u want reg flatbed u have to go to little rock
lol may be i going to go to LR once i finish TDS
keep us posted ok
Old 02-24-2007, 12:13 AM

Here are a series of photos I took during my two week orientation at TMC in Des Moines, Iowa.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7594380781687/

my truck photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/
Old 02-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Board Regular

I think both companies have great training programs. I know that we have a very good safety rating, I dont know where we stand compared to the rest, but with as strict as Maverick is, I know we are up there.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Rookie

Well, looks like I'm going to TMC in Columbia, the recruiter said that they would give me a road test and if all goes well I'll be on the "yard" for 1 week and out with a trainer for about 4 weeks. I dont think I'll have any problems with a road test, I'm used to driving 53 foot vans and have not had any problems driving, I've drove in New York, Jersey, Chicago and other stresful places, I just recently was in the middle of the big storm that closed I81 in Penn and had no real problems. I've never had any big problems with backing either. The only difference is I'm used to a 10 speed and I think the petes have 13 speeds.

D