User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I make around $30 an hour. Varies depending on how many trailers I'm pulling. Time and half after 8 hours.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown67 View Post
I make around $30 an hour. Varies depending on how many trailers I'm pulling. Time and half after 8 hours.
Dayum!! No wonder you guys are so SLOW! If I was making that much, for going that slow, I'd get in the way of the FedEx drivers TOO! :clap:

J/K... driver. What do I need to do (besides wearing an ugly brown uniform) to make that much money while driving a 1/4 "day cab?" :lol::lol2:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:02 AM

FEEDERFRED.

2 Questions.

1. Does Linde have any facilities in Tampa, FL?

2. Do you, as a Linde driver, ever have the opportunity to go drive for them overseas? I mean is that even a possibility?
Thanks,

L
Old 08-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzon View Post
FEEDERFRED.

2 Questions.

1. Does Linde have any facilities in Tampa, FL?

2. Do you, as a Linde driver, ever have the opportunity to go drive for them overseas? I mean is that even a possibility?
Thanks,

L
1. Not that I am aware of, however I will post a link..View Job Opportunities with Linde
2. Again, Not that I am aware of..We have plants worldwide and I just don't see myself running a bulk truck in Indonesia...
Old 08-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Senior Board Member

While pay per mile is important, it is only a piece of the whole picture.

In the past I have worked for outfits as a company driver that may not have had the best CPM, they had other features that made it best for me. Things like, no sit time, load preplans far in advance, excellent customers that were a pleasure to see, and home on weekends. Was not dedicated runs, but solid consistent miles with little or no real pressure. Never knew what compensation for layover was since I never did sit that long. That one sold out though.

While one may be able to get .50 cpm at one company, would you also be miserable at the same time? Would miles be consistent, or is there quite a few times you sit for 24 hrs waiting to load? How about sitting long enough to load, but just 1 hr short of being eligible for layover pay? Do you have to jump thru all kinds of hoops to get company to compensate for a lumper if needed, or getting paid on the other extras like a safety bonus or fuel mileage bonus? Just simple things like being able to deal with the operations people and shop people can make life a real bummer.

There is a lot that one needs to look at. If one only looks at CPM, they may never really find a good company and be job hopping all over the place. When I was a company driver, I was never with a company for less than 8 years. Same now that I am O/O. It pays to do a lot of research and look at the broad picture.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Pay per mile sucks. The only time I would run by the mile is if I worked for UPS or linehaul with a LTL carrier.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Board Regular

Well, no I'm not miserable to say the least. Our line hauls are infrequent, but a nice change to "get away" for a couple days. We stay in decent hotels and our meals are paid at $35 a day. We never wait or sit, just throw out a hose, start the PTO and let it fly while we are on the clock. We go to the same places, so we pretty much know what we will earn for a mileage run and since it's tankers, we of course, never require a lumper. If we do have to layover (and it happens occasionally on new tank installs, tank repairs etc.) we are paid around the clock our full hourly rate. And we only get mileage if it's over 200 miles in one direction, so I feel it's fair..
Old 09-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Senior Board Member

I get 52cpm doing LTL Linehaul, have been offered 42cpm otr flatbed recently I wouldnt drive for less than 40 cpm ***em, i go dig ditches...it all comes down to how much u actually run, how the miles are calculated and extras like detention pay, layover pay, stop pay, loading pay etcetc.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There are so many factors that can affect your pay other than the cpm. There are some carriers that have a low cpm but pay for other things you do such as tarp, stops, etc., Those extras can really add up. If you are looking for a company you may want to make a list of what is important to you and what you can do without. There are carriers that pay a high rate, but don't give you any miles. There are others that may have a lower cpm but have more miles than you can run. You might earn more money by going with the carrier that pays the lower cpm. There are some carriers who do a better job of getting you home than others. There is always a trade off. If they can usually manage to get you home nearly every weekend, your pay will likely suffer to some degree. If I were looking for a new carrier I would find drivers at truck stops and shippers and strike up a conversation with them. Ask about the good and bad. Find what they really like and dislike about their carrier. Most are willing to share their experiences and may even offer to assist in getting in touch with the right person at their carrier, if it is something that you want to pursue. There is no single company that is right for everyone.