User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Going to Swift

I have been reading a lot here and read thoroughly Ford390Pwr's Swift Academy posts and am excited to get on with a new career! I will be at the July 26th Academy in Lewsiton. I am from Vancouver, WA and am ready to get out and see the country. I want to put in my 13 months at least then see about future options. Any good advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-05-2010, 02:58 AM
Senior Board Member

well, keep your options open, play by the rules, remain thick skinned as many ppl eather tell lot's of swift jokes, or just don't like swift outright. I did from mar of 06 to may of 07 with them. they aren't a bad carrier to work for if you get the right combo of ppl working for you in the office.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info geeshock! Yeah, I understand to keep my ears and eyes open, learn this industry and make choices as to what I want after 13 months. I am single no kids so I will also run as much as possible and build a good relationship with those I work with. That will serve me well along the way and in the future.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:31 AM

Keep your eyes and ears wide open and expect the unexpected. Other than that, have small expectations from the company. Drivers are a dime dozen right now with the high unemployment rate and it's real easy to be replaced if you become an unhappy driver.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:53 AM
Senior Board Member

I found Lewiston to be a great place to learn. Traffic is minimal - less to hit - but there are more than enough tight turns, traffic lights, narrow bridges and steep grades to keep things interesting. The only thing missing from the Lewiston experience is interstate driving. If you can survive Lewiston, the interstate will be a breeze.

Do you know how big your class is expected to be or how many instructors you'll have?
Old 07-07-2010, 03:58 AM
Rookie

Thanks for info cdswans and Chunker. I am definitely keeping my expectations low..at least for the first year anyway. I will just run wherever they want and learn and put as much $ away and pay off debt as much as possible. I don't know size of my class nor how many instructors....I will call recruiter tomorrow and ask that.

Last edited by sean71; 07-07-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:36 AM
Senior Board Member

I brought it up because Swift is often characterized as one of those evil CDL/driver mills. We had 5 instructors for my class of 4 students. Our class began right after Thanksgiving and ran through New Years and we all made it. Not exactly prime time, I reckon, but it worked out great.

That winter, 2004 - 5, would turn out to be one of the most severe for the PNW in quite a while yet we never saw more than a dusting of snow in Lewiston. I met my first trainer in Troutdale and the weather went downhill from there.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

One suggestion that I would make to you is to discuss any issues or problems with your driver manager or dispatcher. If you cannot get the problem resolved move up the ladder until it can be resolved. If you get with a dispatcher whom you don't get along, ask to be assigned to another dispatcher. All too often, drivers will quit a company rather than attempting to work out issues. Most problems can be worked out with good communication skills. The longer you stay with a company the better for your future job prospects.

Some people go to work for Swift or one of the other so called "training carriers" long enough to get some basic training and then go to the next carrier. There are others who are thinking about their next company before they start to work for the first. That is the wrong attitude. I have met a few long time Swift drivers who like the company. I recall one who had been with them for I believe 16 years. A positive attitude will go a long way toward your success in this or any business. There is always something new to learn.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:09 AM
Rookie

Thanks cdswans and GMAN. Yeah, I am an easy-going sort and I have been in the local courier business for 18 years and have at least some experience with working with dispatchers, customers, and the like. What I like is so far the course syllabus is clearly laid out and what is expected of me is CLEAR and what I can expect from Swift is also. I will not be one of those drivers who needs to have MY needs met 1st, then company 2nd. I work a job for a company because they have something and I look it over and agree to do it. If that company is true to what is spelled-out, then I'm cool. I actually would like to stay on with this company for a while and maybe explore other options like flatbed or regional work or whatever. Swift has one of the largest freight bases so keeping my nose clean and enjoying what I will be doing will open up stuff for me.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswans View Post

That winter, 2004 - 5, would turn out to be one of the most severe for the PNW in quite a while yet we never saw more than a dusting of snow in Lewiston. I met my first trainer in Troutdale and the weather went downhill from there.

you are exactly right. That was the rainest winter I have ever seen. It washed out the SB grapevines slow lane and it's still closed to this day.
T&A: California Weather Long Range: Rainfall, Temperature