User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
sounds a little like the bait and switch to me. but might work out if you like crete. still, if your settled on the dedicated account you might not be happy otr waiting for you shot at the dedicated whenever it comes open.
Eh, it's possible it was bait and switch, but the regional wasn't a bad deal either - just not as nice as the dedicated. I'm not new to this rodeo, but it's been a little while since I've been back in the ring too - so I'm finding in this market I'm not going to be able to be terribly picky. The time I spent in the office was great, and I don't regret it because it was awesome to make a difference - but it screwed with my OTR clock and therefore I don't have as much "recent experience" a lot of companies can afford to be picky and look for in this economy.

I've got a little one at home to provide for, and the bottom line for me comes down to financial security of the company so I can get loads because they have a strong customer base, and hometime. Can they get me home when they say they can get me home? If I have problem with the window of time they require me to be out before they get me back, then that's my call. I need to know if they hold by their word as much as possible. I'm not anti-OTR, I'm anti 3-4 weeks out. Back in the day I used to run 6 months out at a time...those days are long gone now that I have a family.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Default Hey TnDieselGrl

Have you worked for or are you still with Arrow? I noticed your avatar was that of an arrow truck. Were you a company or lease purchase driver? How did you like it? Are you still with them or have you left and if so why? Would you recommend them? Do they have good health insurance? Their regional fits my needs that's why I'm asking. I'm thinking about a company driver position. Thanks.

Last edited by Coilhaulr; 11-29-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coilhaulr View Post
Have you worked for or are you still with Arrow? I noticed your avatar was that of an arrow truck. Were you a company or lease purchase driver? How did you like it? Are you still with them or have you left and if so why? Would you recommend them? Do they have good health insurance? Their regional fits my needs that's why I'm asking. I'm thinking about a company driver position. Thanks.
I am a former lease purchase contractor with Arrow, yes I did very well when I was on the road with them, but I came off the road in October of 2007 to work in the safety department until this past summer when I decided to stay home with my daughter. I loved Arrow the time I spent there, and I really believed in them as a company until just about the time I left for good. I have to say around the time I left they had a small round of layoffs of in-house staff, and I don't really know if they've recovered from it, but I know quite a few of my colleagues and fellow drivers were hurting from it. I don't think I could really slam Arrow at all because they were very, very good to me, but they have gone through some rough times and made some decisions that were not very popular with the fleet, and last I heard the lease program is defunct. I don't know how things are running for them right now to be honest, I've been somewhat out of the loop. Health insurance as of when I left was a sore spot - they changed providers twice while I was there so it was always a headache getting the claims to roll to the correct insurance company. :banghead: Other than that, the plan stayed the same 80/20 coverage most offer these days. I don't know what the driver cost was, but it was pretty steep for those of us on salary (I obviously didn't qualify for insurance as a L/O)

Regional? Since when are they hiring regionals? Last I heard they were pretty much 48-states only after the regional idea bit them in the rear when the economy took a nosedive and the last ad I saw was for OTR the other day. Unless things have changed, expect to be out 21 days before you see the homestead. I stayed out a few months at a time on my lease, but we didn't have a home base, I just took vacation when and were I wanted to.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:57 AM

Talked to a driver the other day and he said he worked out of the Fontana. Ca. terminal and that he ran alot of Phoenix and Vegas and back. He thought that they had an opening or two for that. Said on the Arrow web site that they had southwest regional after talking with that guy to see if what he said might be true. But that could have changed since the website wasn't updated lately. I've been reading alot of blogs on this site about Arrow and I guess I will stay away from them for now. Seeing that you like flatbedding have you heard of Cypress Truck Lines? They are hiring out of Oklahoma and say that they will get you home on weekends. Don't know a whole lot about them but you can get home weekly if not once during the week too.

Last edited by Coilhaulr; 11-29-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coilhaulr View Post
Talked to a driver the other day and he said he worked out of the Fontana. Ca. terminal and that he ran alot of Phoenix and Vegas and back. He thought that they had an opening or two for that. Said on the Arrow web site that they had southwest regional after talking with that guy to see if what he said might be true. But that could have changed since the website wasn't updated lately. I've been reading alot of blogs on this site about Arrow and I guess I will stay away from them for now. Seeing that you like flatbedding have you heard of Cypress Truck Lines? They are hiring out of Oklahoma and say that they will get you home on weekends. Don't know a whole lot about them but you can get home weekly if not once during the week too.
Hmmm, Arrow's site is down at the moment, so I don't know. I do know that the same jobs for in-house staff have been up there since early 2008. I'd give the gals in recruiting a call to be sure if you're interested in that particular run. Like I said, Arrow is a good outfit, and I really enjoyed working with and for them, but they've been hit pretty hard as of when I'd left with the recession. Perhaps on the other side I'd consider going back, just not right now.

I have seen Cypress before - I want to say down in Florida. I've honestly never seen one of their trucks up in this area, and while their website makes some big promises, I'm a touch on the skeptical side Their health insurance is about $25/wk higher than what other companies are offering as well, and that's important to me. Dunno though, thanks for the lead, I might just give them a call on Monday to see exactly what they are offering. If it's a dedicated account, it wouldn't be bad - if it's a tight regional run....well, Oklahoma and Texas can get really weak in flatbed freight seasonally and I need something stable even if it means pulling a box.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndieselgrl View Post
Hmmm, Arrow's site is down at the moment, so I don't know. I do know that the same jobs for in-house staff have been up there since early 2008. I'd give the gals in recruiting a call to be sure if you're interested in that particular run. Like I said, Arrow is a good outfit, and I really enjoyed working with and for them, but they've been hit pretty hard as of when I'd left with the recession. Perhaps on the other side I'd consider going back, just not right now.

I have seen Cypress before - I want to say down in Florida. I've honestly never seen one of their trucks up in this area, and while their website makes some big promises, I'm a touch on the skeptical side Their health insurance is about $25/wk higher than what other companies are offering as well, and that's important to me. Dunno though, thanks for the lead, I might just give them a call on Monday to see exactly what they are offering. If it's a dedicated account, it wouldn't be bad - if it's a tight regional run....well, Oklahoma and Texas can get really weak in flatbed freight seasonally and I need something stable even if it means pulling a box.
I'll probably get flack for this but I ran flatbed for Swift and ran hard. The few times I didnt have a load, mainly in Fontana during the winter, I hitched to a box and kept going. Averaged about 3,000 miles a week year round. Worked well for me and I dont have anything bad to say about the flatbed side but that was several years ago.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I'll probably get flack for this but I ran flatbed for Swift and ran hard. The few times I didnt have a load, mainly in Fontana during the winter, I hitched to a box and kept going. Averaged about 3,000 miles a week year round. Worked well for me and I dont have anything bad to say about the flatbed side but that was several years ago.
Nah, I ran with Swift to start my career, and they were the first company I called when I decided to go back out to see if they had anything dedicated open. I've done well and I've had crap with them - it all depended on the account and the driver manager I worked with. IIRC though, Swift flatbed only runs out of Phoenix these days, and have a very limited hiring range. They also do not like women on that division - I know, I tried to transfer over from dry vans.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndieselgrl View Post
Nah, I ran with Swift to start my career, and they were the first company I called when I decided to go back out to see if they had anything dedicated open. I've done well and I've had crap with them - it all depended on the account and the driver manager I worked with. IIRC though, Swift flatbed only runs out of Phoenix these days, and have a very limited hiring range. They also do not like women on that division - I know, I tried to transfer over from dry vans.
I hear you. I started with them and ran out of Phoenix so I think that was the difference for me as well. Flatbed was great. The vans were something to keep me moving until I could get another flat. The van's were run different and I did have a few problems with the dispatchers and dm I talked to on that side.

I guess what I was getting at was that in this economy going with a company that had flats and vans (and reefers for that matter) might not be a bad choice if that company let you haul the other stuff to keep moving as opposed to a flatbed operation only. I saw many flatbed drivers while at swift sitting and refusing to drive anything other that the flats while I grabbed whatever was available to keep moving. I made money, they didn't.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I guess what I was getting at was that in this economy going with a company that had flats and vans (and reefers for that matter) might not be a bad choice if that company let you haul the other stuff to keep moving as opposed to a flatbed operation only.
I hear ya there...it's part of the reason I wasn't looking to go back to pulling skateboards (the other reason being I had a baby last December....I'm so out of shape it's not funny :lol: and the idea of yanking frozen tarps around right now just isn't really appealing...LOL). In any sort of downturn, the company that can diversify is going to outlast the specialized ones generally every time - same as the fact that the larger ones are going to have the market share to generally outlast the smaller operations. I'm not going back out on the road for the fun of it, but to keep my family in a safe house with heat, power and food in the fridge. What name is on the door is the last thing I'm worried about :thumbsup:

That said, just wanted to let y'all know I was cleared by Crete, and I've decided to accept their offer of heading to orientation for the Mid-South Regional and speak to someone about getting on a Walmart waiting list. It's the best offer I've gotten so far, and I like what I see in Crete from their drivers, their SafeStat scores, and their major account presence.

They've reserved me a rental car, and I'll be heading to orientation right before Christmas. The only part I'm NOT looking forward to is the WorkWell exam...I took it with Swift before (and it nearly killed me then), and I was in shape a hell of a lot more than I am now :cry:
Old 01-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, figured I'd update this.

Yesterday I ended a very short (1 month), very, very, very painful period of employment with Crete. I never did make it onto the Walmart Dedicated fleet, I was still MidSouth regional.

I've never been screwed over quite so bad as I was with Crete - but it all surrounded one person and a ton of bad luck. The rest of the company I have no ill will towards.

I was issued a tractor with 539,xxx miles on it and due for trade in a few months. All fine and good, I'm not picky if it runs, and it appeared to have been maintained well. I was wrong. I put it in the shop in Lincoln...broke down less than a week later in Memphis...48 hours after getting out there I was down in Columbia, MO. I was broken down more than I ran. No problem - Crete handled it and found me a slightly newer tractor, ran me right up back to Lincoln and I switched out deciding to stay out a few extra days to make some money. And instead I went back into the shop right after getting the truck. 12 hours after leaving Lincoln I had no heat/defrost in the cab and needed the shop again but managed to keep my windows clear enough to make my delivery the next morning. That morning I was told to go to the shop, and by the way...I wasn't allowed to go home this week. I hadn't made my mileage quota and they were not going to "allow" me to go home.

I was a regional driver - I was promised 8-12 out and then home. No mention of "if you have the miles and we approve" will I get home. Not acceptable. I had an appointment to make and a 1 year old daughter at home. I called my Fleet Manager who, according to the folks in orientation, was supposed to have my back on the road when dealing with dispatch. He told me there wasn't anything he could do and all I could do is deal with my dispatcher. Lots of help that was in the end. :thumbsdown:

I asked for a load home to clean the truck out and what terminal would they like it secured at. From Nashville, TN they send me instead to KNOXVILLE - three hours further from home and tell me they'll get me a bus ticket. Thanks guys...like I can carry all my gear on the damn bus. :angryblue: Even Swift routed me by the house to clean my rig out so I could return it. Lucky I used to live out here and have friends who were willing to pick me up and lend me a couch while I arranged a ride. (I should mention Crete has a yard an hour north of my house, or a full service terminal in the Dallas metro which still would have been closer than where I ended up.)

All of this said, I still stand by my belief that MOST people at Crete were honest, dependable, and I enjoyed working with them from Lincoln to Wilmer to Knoxville from the office to the shop crews to breakdown. My dispatch team and fleet manager on this regional board out of Kansas City, MO are a totally different story, however. If you want to be treated like you're a child, have your hometime taken away as a punishment for equipment problems beyond your control, and have no one to stand up for you other than your recruiter (!! - yes, my recruiter did more for me than my fleet manager ever did!), then sign on for this regional board. You have been warned. Guys I talk to on the National fleet haven't had these problems though, but I just didn't want to run the risk after how I'd been treated to start and getting two trucks back to back that couldn't keep on the road. I cut my losses.

Hopefully my ride is getting loaded in NC today and she'll be through this evening to pick me up and take me home. Amazing I can hitch with another truck driver, but my own carrier couldn't get a regional driver home.

Last edited by dieselgrl; 01-22-2010 at 01:35 PM.