User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
Isn't that dedicated waiting list a JB Hunt trick?
This is an EVERY COMPANY trick.....at my company it isn't a trick though, I have a waiting list for drivers on a specific dedicated fleet I handle and I've done run out of names. My list was at 6, now the fleet is full and I need more drivers to add in the event I have turnover of some sort.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:07 PM

I worked Wal Mart grocery dedicated for a different company in Southern Illinois. We did pretty good. Sure, you ran a lot of nights, but very little traffic at nights and more store employees are doing nothing on third shift so they will come back and unload you which means unload time is shorter. Only thing I insisted on was going to bead before the sun came up so I could get some sleep.

The 6-7 stops thing sounds bad, but it's really great. I like multi-stop loads, thats what I do now. First of all, it breaks up the monotony of driving all day. By the time you are bored driving, BAM, you are at your next stop. Also most companies pay for these stops so you make lots of additional money from those stops. Best for us was a 3-4 stop in Chicago. 300 miles to Chi, then the stop pay, most the time a drop/hook pickup in Chicago area, and home for the night. This is everything went perfect of course, but I've had it happen.

Oh, and I worked 5 on and 2 off with Tuesday/Wednesday my off days. They had 6/2 (which everyone started at but I hate the rotating days off), 11/3 (yeah some guys did this), 6/34hrs, etc. They had a bunch of different schedules you could get on. Good thing is my company didn't force anyone into a schedule except the 6/2. There were guys who had done 6/2 for 10 years on that account. You don't have to get on another one if you don't want to.

Same guys who say they don't want to haul multi-stop are ones who refuse to go to Canada, haul oversized, or pull a tanker. Little do they realize, these types of loads actually pay good money. I'm leaving my house in a little while on a multi-stop load. When I get empty Tuesday I will have made over $1 a mile. This includes $25 a stop (except first and last) and $100 for lumper fees where I do it myself (only get this where lumper is available and I do it myself. Only two this run, both will get 1-3 skids and there will be no restacking, easy money). So I think I'm doing pretty good doing these "crap" runs.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Senior Board Member

PA - I'm with you. Running L/O on flatbed, I could make a killing on multi-stop loads. They don't bother me at all so long as the appointments are reasonable.

Totally OT, but I see you're in Powell...I used to live out that way
Old 11-22-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A Frederick View Post
Same guys who say they don't want to haul multi-stop are ones who refuse to go to Canada, haul oversized, or pull a tanker. Little do they realize, these types of loads actually pay good money.
Wait until the Feds wire an EOBR into your truck...then we'll see how much you like multi-stop.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:12 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shabadoo View Post
Ugh!!....NO THANKS!!!!!!!!
:hellno:
Old 11-23-2009, 04:20 AM

Recorders won't make a difference on what I'm doing. I can run this 100% legal. Only time I do anything off kilter is I might shave 2-3 hours off my 10 on Sunday night to spend at home. My only "appointment" is Tuesday morning (which I set it myself and it's the first and sometimes only stop on Tuesday). Other are whenever I get there before they close. Usually I'm in the town of my Tuesday delivery by 4-5 pm and they don't even start receiving until 0330 Tuesday morning and I hardly ever st my appointment that early. It depends on what I'm bringing home from the area as to my appt time and if I've got other appointments. The recorders will make me leave a little earlier on Sundays, but nothing else. My entire week I can run 100% legal and not change a thing about my stops.

Plus, if you're talking Wal-Mart dedicated it's a big company who watches their drivers and won't let you get by with much fudging. The stores are quick to unload and you can park at any store to take your 10 without having to worry about getting towed. Plus you get to know every good hole in the wall with truck parking and good food around the DC running area. A guy I knew running out of London, KY Wal Mart grossed $75k one year. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen his pay stub.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndieselgrl View Post
Anyone running this fleet around here? (Or any current Crete drivers hear anything on it?) Their website shows to be hiring for Walmart dedicated in my area. This would be ideal, but like anything there'd have to be freight. I don't see Walmart hurting any time soon, but I remember running Target freight for Swift and when it would be lean, it would get ugly quickly. I figure I'll give recruiting a call in the morning since I wasn't informed until pretty late today that I need to keep looking for a job.
:thumbsup:
Old 11-24-2009, 03:19 AM
Senior Board Member

the short multi stop loads are where the money is at. I did two the other day. total mileage for the day was around 250 and I made about $250. took 12 hours. These pay much better than the long 500 mile round trips because you can get home the same day and do it again where in the longer runs you might not make it back and then have to start the next day minus a couple of hours when you get back to the yard and so only get in one short run.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndieselgrl View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll give Crete a call and see what they have to say on it.

EDIT:

Turns out regardless of what the website said, they're full on the Walmart fleet at the moment but could offer me a Mid-South regional run with a spot on a Walmart Dedicated waiting list. A little longer out on the road than I was really hoping for (8-12), and I'm not in love with the idea of getting a no-inverter policy optimized idle truck back, but it's something to think about.
sounds a little like the bait and switch to me. but might work out if you like crete. still, if your settled on the dedicated account you might not be happy otr waiting for you shot at the dedicated whenever it comes open.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A Frederick View Post
Recorders won't make a difference on what I'm doing. I can run this 100% legal. Only time I do anything off kilter is I might shave 2-3 hours off my 10 on Sunday night to spend at home. My only "appointment" is Tuesday morning (which I set it myself and it's the first and sometimes only stop on Tuesday). Other are whenever I get there before they close. Usually I'm in the town of my Tuesday delivery by 4-5 pm and they don't even start receiving until 0330 Tuesday morning and I hardly ever st my appointment that early. It depends on what I'm bringing home from the area as to my appt time and if I've got other appointments. The recorders will make me leave a little earlier on Sundays, but nothing else. My entire week I can run 100% legal and not change a thing about my stops.

Plus, if you're talking Wal-Mart dedicated it's a big company who watches their drivers and won't let you get by with much fudging. The stores are quick to unload and you can park at any store to take your 10 without having to worry about getting towed. Plus you get to know every good hole in the wall with truck parking and good food around the DC running area. A guy I knew running out of London, KY Wal Mart grossed $75k one year. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen his pay stub.
Do you log those stops on line 4 or lines 1/2?