User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009, 01:28 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford390pwr View Post
Talked to a Swift recruiter today and he said that they are hiring inexperienced students, but they are not starting school till the middle of July.
What school would you be attending if you don't mind me asking? I am considering Swift too and if Phoenix is still open that is where I would be sent. Does anyone here know the pay for Swift during the entire training phase? I read somewhere it was $67/week when otr with the trainer and hope it's not true. Thanks
Old 06-12-2009, 01:35 AM
Senior Board Member

during schooling you are paid nothing. the first 2 weeks on a trainer's truck, you will be paid $200 a week. $300 on the third, $400 on the fourth, and $500 a piece for the final 2 weeks. when you're on your own and "daddy" is no longer there, starting pay is something like $.26 per mile and it goes up quickly...if you don't suck.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakusa View Post
What school would you be attending if you don't mind me asking? I am considering Swift too and if Phoenix is still open that is where I would be sent. Does anyone here know the pay for Swift during the entire training phase? I read somewhere it was $67/week when otr with the trainer and hope it's not true. Thanks
I have been getting delayed by recruiters, but I am now scheduled for the June 29th class in Lewiston ID.

Good luck with your new career.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:58 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
during schooling you are paid nothing. the first 2 weeks on a trainer's truck, you will be paid $200 a week. $300 on the third, $400 on the fourth, and $500 a piece for the final 2 weeks. when you're on your own and "daddy" is no longer there, starting pay is something like $.26 per mile and it goes up quickly...if you don't suck.
Thanks lol, how quick will it go up? Since they don't post what you know on their website please tell...

[QUOTE=Ford390pwr;453021]I have been getting delayed by recruiters, but I am now scheduled for the June 29th class in Lewiston ID.

Good luck with your new career too!
Have you considered Central Refrigerated? If so what made you go with Swift vs. Central? Thanks again
Old 06-12-2009, 02:08 AM
Senior Board Member

like i said, if you don't suck, it'll go up in no time. within 4 months, i was up to $.30cpm. by the end of my near 25 months, i was topped out at $.39. that's because i didn't whine, complain, and was never late to an appointment. i also had zero log violations during the entire time. about a year ago, i was hitting nearly 3900 miles a week. as soon as i got east of i-35, i was being hit with pre-plans left and right. i was constantly busy while i was jamming around the mid-west, southeast, and east coast.

when you're finally solo, i'd highly suggest running the 48. you'll get more miles that way. the western united states is heavily saturated, and getting miles will become an issue.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:15 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
like i said, if you don't suck, it'll go up in no time. within 4 months, i was up to $.30cpm. by the end of my near 25 months, i was topped out at $.39. that's because i didn't whine, complain, and was never late to an appointment. i also had zero log violations during the entire time. about a year ago, i was hitting nearly 3900 miles a week. as soon as i got east of i-35, i was being hit with pre-plans left and right. i was constantly busy while i was jamming around the mid-west, southeast, and east coast.

when you're finally solo, i'd highly suggest running the 48. you'll get more miles that way. the western united states is heavily saturated, and getting miles will become an issue.
Thanks Syncrosonix! Very motivating and will do the the 48 as you suggested since I want to see that part of the country. Do you know if they are currently training newbies in Phoenix now? I am ready to go and will call a recruiter if so. Do you still drive for Swift and if so are the miles still good?

Last edited by rakusa; 06-12-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Thanks Syncrosonix! Very motivating and will do the the 48 as you suggested since I want to see that part of the country. Do you know if they are currently training newbies in Phoenix now? I am ready to go and will call a recruiter if so. Do you still drive for Swift and if so are the miles still good?
they're only hiring newbies/students. i was told this 3 weeks ago when i called to get on with my old fleet. i was rejected. i now drive for knight.

as far as trainers are concerned, i highly suggest jim kling. he'll treat you right, teach you correctly, and won't be in the sleeper berth the majority of the time. he won't put you in any situations you may have an issue with. write his name down. during orientation, you'll be asked who you want as a mentor. that's where you'll put his name down. if there's a wait for him, WAIT IT OUT. if you can't, then go on with somebody else. but, i highly suggest you get trained by him. he's worth every dollar swift is paying him and then some.

if you do end up at swift, good luck with your future days.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Have you considered Central Refrigerated? If so what made you go with Swift vs. Central? Thanks again
Take a look at other threads that I have started / posted in. You will see that I have looked at the only three carriers that are still training newbies, (Central Refrigerated, C.R. England and Swift) for the last two months. Swift is just the one that will accept me and has a good program.

From what I have learned, Swift is still hiring newbies, but there is a really long waiting list. Do not be surprised if they schedule you for school next month.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:17 PM

Ford390pwr,

Don't let the waiting list scare you.I was bumped up a moth for training because someone dropped out.After driving school I had to 2 weeks of waiting.It went fast and I go to orientation Tuesday and then go with the mentor for 6 weeks.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburd View Post
Ford390pwr,

Don't let the waiting list scare you.I was bumped up a moth for training because someone dropped out.After driving school I had to 2 weeks of waiting.It went fast and I go to orientation Tuesday and then go with the mentor for 6 weeks.
So they sent you home for two weeks after school? Where are you headed for orientation?