User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 02:14 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Red face Curious about Steven's Transport...

I've recently been thinking about getting into trucking. My boyfriend drove for about 8 years, but now he has a permanent mechanics job. I on the other hand, even though I have a degree in Technical Theatre, am finding it hard to get good, steady employment. I road OTR with my boyfriend quite often for the better part of a year so I have a good idea of what the lifestyle is like.

I don't have much money now so I've been looking into company sponsored training. I realize that a large majority of companies have stopped offering company training and I've also read alot on these boards about which company is better then the other. Seems that the consensus is that Swift isn't that great, my boyfriend agrees by the way. But I haven't heard much, if anything about Steven's Transport. I was just wondering if anyone had trained with them or knew anyone who had.

Just curious. Thanks for your constructive information!
Old 05-22-2009, 04:54 AM

I would probably disagree about Swift being worse than Stevens. I know a number of Swifties and they seemed as content as anyone. I believe you would have more options with Swift than with Stevens, and would most likely have more hometime with Swift. Stevens has a reputation for keeping drivers out for long periods of time.
I drove for Schneider and they would be the best choice for training, but they are not accepting students at this time. I would recommend looking at Watkins-Shepard, they seem to not have much negative posted about them, if any.

My choices would be now in this order;

1. Swift
2. Watkins-Shepard (2nd because they have no training time after CDL school, right to the road)
3. Central Refrigerated
4. Stevens Transport

With any of these companies you will get adequate training and be able to move on to a better company in about a year or so.

***Just to clarify, if Schneider were taking students, they would be at the top of the list***
Rumor has it that STA's are not going to be closed permanently, and some will re-open when things get better. But I would not count on it anytime soon.

Last edited by sportster65; 05-22-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:11 AM
Rookie
Default Stevens is not that bad

My brother trained at swift, he said he wished he had more training before they let him loose, he felt like they just put him in the truck and let him go, Swift also has one of the worst safety ratings. My hubby is working for Stevens he liked the training it takes forever 4 or 5 weeks with the 1st trainer and 3 or 4 with the second, but they do push safety the down side is when you do get your truck they are governed at 62 or 65 so they are kind of slow. When my brother was doing his year with swift we did see more of him then I do my hubby, but my hubby is making more money then my brother did. Also my brother still keeps in touch with his trainer and the guy claims everyone had to take a pay cut so his is only making .26 a mile i don't know if it is true but thats where my hubby started also Swift is having problems right now because one of their schools wasn't testing right so a bunch of people have received letters stating their cdl was not good. When it comes right down to it all training companys are the same they screw you, but you have to start somewhere and in a year you can always move on.

Tags
company training, driving, otr, steven's, training