User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
I was commenting on your making the jump to going to jail for logs not matching, not withstanding civil/criminal cases I don't see that happening.
:lol:I realize that!:lol:

I just can't help how thinking about how much more "draconian" the auditing process is going to become.... They'll probably start grousing about which side of the 15 minutes you're on....

But you can bet your last dollar that if there is an accident....that data is going to be used as evidence to prove error....

But you have to admit....if someone is "squeezing" their log book...or "backing it up"....there will be hell to pay if something happens within the 180 day window...

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Rookie

i think some companies are trying to use qualcomms to make drivers run legal , i talked to a florida food grade company today and the recruiter told me that safety does not and never will unless made too. check logs against them
Old 05-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooundman11568 View Post
i think some companies are trying to use qualcomms to make drivers run legal , i talked to a florida food grade company today and the recruiter told me that safety does not and never will unless made too. check logs against them
They're pretty much being forced to do it. If they have GPS locators on their trucks....they are going to have to watch the drivers much closer, and they will also have to clean up their acts where dispatching is concerned. The USDOT is using the location data as one factor in the auditing process......so if there are discrepancies.....the company is facing fines, particularly if they are "aware of the discrepancies" and allow it to continue. Given that companies are required to report errant drivers who habitually violate HOS....any complicity on their part will flash back on them in the form of high dollar fines....

I do believe that things they are a changing. This may be the precursor to validating the necessity for EOBR's in all trucks......

Its all cool by me.... If I can't make a good living doing it legally....then I don't want to do it.:smokin:

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

Old 05-24-2009, 04:05 AM

I never got a load assignment that we were'nt asked to respond if we had enough hours to get it there on time. If we did not they would try to change the delivery time or take us off the load. Not once were we asked to or even hinted to run illegal. I have heard about many drivers who have felt pressured to do so, but SNI, never asked us to do so. They would watch us pretty close at first, but we never had one log violation or service failure, so things were pretty good for us. They keep close track of our OOR miles and speed, and our HOS. I think sometimes the drivers push the limit, and the company is forced to take extreme measures to keep the drivers on track. But I think it is a 50/50 problem, problem companies, and problem drivers. It just seemd so easy to keep things legal, make a good trip plan, and take into consideration any delays, foreseeable or otherwise, and don't take a load that you can't legally run. I spent atleast 2 hours doing a trip plan, and we never waivered from it.

The problem is a few bad apples spoil it for the rest and then take outrageous measures that make life diffucult for everyone else.

Last edited by sportster65; 05-24-2009 at 04:15 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster65 View Post
I spent atleast 2 hours doing a trip plan, and we never waivered from it.
This made me laugh out loud.....2 hours? I have been going down the road for 2 hours before I even make a decision on how to get where I am going, them decide in about 2 mins. If I spent 2 hours planning trips I might not ever get anyhting done on my 70 hour clock.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
This made me laugh out loud.....2 hours? I have been going down the road for 2 hours before I even make a decision on how to get where I am going, them decide in about 2 mins. If I spent 2 hours planning trips I might not ever get anyhting done on my 70 hour clock.
We usually had a load assignment before we unloaded, many live unloads were 2 hrs or more, what better time than that to trip plan. Good trip planning will save you many hours of frustration. Maybe that is why we never had a service failure, always had time to shower, eat, and take the occaisional overnight break for sleep in a non-moving truck.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:56 AM

I don't think the DOT is going to use the GPS coordinates to match your logs, they are going to match your QC messages to the logs. When you type in a message "arrive at shipper" your log had better say you arrived in that town at that time (or relatively close if you get there at a time directly in between a 15 minute block). Thats how I log for Heartland, and I never get a log violation from them, and they check HARD!

Now, for the GPS being deadly accurate. Well, they can be. I had a real time-sensitive load I brought home one time with me. It had to deliver at like 0700 on a Friday morning (this has been months ago). Well, I got home Thursday late afternoon/early evening. I parked the truck at the TS, came home. Drove my pickup to the TS around 0545 Fri. morning and take off around 6 or so (it was maybe 45 miles through the country to the stop). I get a call at 0615 from night dispatch. "Are you going to make the 0700 delivery time?"--"Yeah, why?"--"Well our program isn't showing the truck as started yet, and you have little ways to go." I checked my leg milage- I had driven 15 miles. Plus, the truck had been started at 0545 or so, 1/2 hour before...

I've had other instances of the GPS messing up and them calling or whatever wanting to know why I wasn't in such and such. They also check when you sent your QC message and your GPS coordinates match so you can't send in your arrival message when your 20 miles away to show your on-time when you are not.

Sure, the GPS works most of the time, but not great all the time.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Actually, they are going to use the GPS reports to compare to logs....its going to be tricky and they are going to have to allow for a "fudge factor"....but even still, they are using them.