User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 12:37 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydragon View Post
Trying to think of anything to add to that... nope, that pretty well sums it up.

Looking forward to things picking back up in about, oh maybe 5-10 years from now, and watching carriers fight over drivers again. It's pretty easy to treat your people like ca-ca when you know they have nowhere else to go.

Just hope I don't have to wait that long to get out of this business.
once you're at the *ULTRA HIGH* pay rate of 34cpm, things may or may not quickly go downhill for you. when richard stockings took over, that's when all the sudden lame changes began without notice, and things were flattened by a landslide of bullchit, and i eventually got starved out until i quit. i put up with it for long as i could.

what made me finally give notice is that after arguing with people in payroll, threatening a lawsuit to be paid for all the unpaid detention, layover, and breakdown. i received all of that the following pay period. i got a load that only went 200 miles. they tried short-changing me on that deal by paying me as if i had done a 300+mi run. another call to the payroll department and another argument ensued. suddenly i found myself sitting an entire week. they screwed me on layover by sending me an impossible load that needed to go from the south-east to the pacific northwest in 2 1/2 days. once you decline a load, your layover pay stops.

all these companies want to do is keep the wages low by only hiring trainees. fly, get out while you're still young and/or intelligent enough to do so.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
once you're at the *ULTRA HIGH* pay rate of 34cpm, things may or may not quickly go downhill for you. when richard stockings took over, that's when all the sudden lame changes began without notice, and things were flattened by a landslide of bullchit, and i eventually got starved out until i quit. i put up with it for long as i could.

what made me finally give notice is that after arguing with people in payroll, threatening a lawsuit to be paid for all the unpaid detention, layover, and breakdown. i received all of that the following pay period. i got a load that only went 200 miles. they tried short-changing me on that deal by paying me as if i had done a 300+mi run. another call to the payroll department and another argument ensued. suddenly i found myself sitting an entire week. they screwed me on layover by sending me an impossible load that needed to go from the south-east to the pacific northwest in 2 1/2 days. once you decline a load, your layover pay stops.

all these companies want to do is keep the wages low by only hiring trainees. fly, get out while you're still young and/or intelligent enough to do so.
Uh oh. I'm already at 32cpm, and that's after they took a penny away from me. I've noticed that layover pay depends on whether or not my dm got laid that week. If I thought it would help I'd send my ex over to help him out.

Unfortunately, I'm not young anymore (50's) and as for intelligence... what does it say when I'm still in this biz after all these years? In any case, I'm now looking for a local gig like I had before I moved. LTL is good for old geezers like me because we hump freight around in the back of our trucks and it keeps us in shape. But no one is hiring right now. I just gotta tough it out until things come back and I can get back to those single-screw day-cabs pulling 28 foot pups, even if they're doubles or triples. Home every night and weekends, too. It's a lot better than this OTR bit of being out 2,3,4 weeks at a time.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:42 AM
Board Regular

We received a one cent increase in April of this year, but we don't work for a scum outfit such as Swift.

Doesn't matter where you have been, it's where you are going in life that counts!