User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinaflyer View Post
Thats good news. At least it sounds like they are working with him to get him home when he needs to be there. I don't know how it is at Lonestar now but in the last week we went from not having any loads to slammed. I know what I'm doing for at least the next week or so. I deliver in IL on Monday and am already booked on a load. All of the sudden all our HH/Specialized trucks are in short supply. They even pulled a couple trucks off wind on Thursday to cover loads.

Who did you husband get for a dispatcher? I had Loree and she was fantastic. If it wasn't for her boss/load planner I would still be there but I left then 4 days later he was fired.
My husband got a new guy. His name is Scott. He seems very nice. He had a load ready for my husband just as he came off his 4 day break, which is great. My husband also made level 1, which is also good. I hope Lonestar gets slammed. More miles=more money...
Old 02-13-2009, 02:07 AM

Hey Catalina, I know where you are coming from. I spent 10 years working in the trade show and show industry. Did stuff with Nascar, a mobile audio company, a dairy company (boring), and an aircraft manufacturer. I'll tell you I never considered myself to be a driver. Like you said driving was only 10% of the gig. Nothing like working 100+ hours a week during the season. Of course we know that log book can never reflect what you really did. I did enjoy the time off in the winter though. I am sure motorcycles where much more exotic than anything I was doing and you probably felt like a rockstar at most of the venues. Since you were exhibiting toys that gave people pleasure there was probably always a level of excitement in the air. You obviously will not have these same experiences driving blades. I guess you'll have to decide what brings you the most fulfillment. I wouldn't think that the motorcycle industry will come back that quick. It may take years for your former employer to become profitable again. They may cut the marketing budget. Look at MATS this year, Peterbilt and Kenworth are not exhibiting as is some other companies. I bet you the wind business will continue to grow and you are lucky to have been able to walk into that. If they laid you off once they probably wouldn't hesitate to do it again. There are many trucking companies who have never laid off that have done so this year. I would say been there, done that, and go onto something new (which is what you are doing now). Just my opinion, but then if it was something really, really exotic, hmmm decisions..
Old 02-13-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc41 View Post
My husband got a new guy. His name is Scott. He seems very nice. He had a load ready for my husband just as he came off his 4 day break, which is great. My husband also made level 1, which is also good. I hope Lonestar gets slammed. More miles=more money...
I'm glad to hear things are going well for your hubby. I still have a couple of friends at Lonestar and was talking to one the other night. I guess they have really cut the pay for layover from $15.00 and hour to $7.50 an hour and now it doesn't kick in till after 48 hours. With that being said, he said that he hasn't had to sit a full day in the past two weeks. Sounded like the freight was really picking back up for him anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt602 View Post
I would say been there, done that, and go onto something new (which is what you are doing now). Just my opinion, but then if it was something really, really exotic, hmmm decisions..
Well Hoyt, staying in the wind business might be the best decision stability wise but as of 10:30pm last night I sent my two weeks notice in to Wylie and am going back to the show circuit. My former co-workers at Big Dog have been on a really big campaign the last two weeks and I finally gave in. Might not be the best decision for me when it comes to stability but that's a chance I'm willing to take. I spent the whole day yesterday trying to make a rational choice but I kept thinking to myself that if I didn't go back I would not be happy and would not have my mind in my work here at Wylie. That wouldn't do me any good and I wouldn't be at 100% for Wylie, it would always be in the back of my mind that someone else is out having a good time and getting paid for it while I'm pulling towers around and I could have been that person.

So right, wrong or otherwise I'm going back to the shows beginning March 2nd. I guess if it all goes in the toilet I can look back and say I should have stayed but at least I will be having fun till then. I fly out to Daytona March 1st to work the second half of bike week then I'll bring that truck back, spend a couple weeks getting mine ready then off to California for a press release on a new model.

And for all the naysayers who think I'm being selfish, it was my wife and my 81 year old father who finally talked me into it last night. My wife said that no matter how happy I'm pretending to be right now I have been miserable since the end of November and she's getting the brunt of it. And my father, who has made a few million in his lifetime said he never made a dime not taking a chance. He told me to get my @ss back to Big Dog and it all went to h-ll he would see to it that our bills get paid till I can find other work.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Senior Board Member

I may have to go to Orlando in a few weeks. Give me a call.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:19 PM

Will do.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Senior Board Member

who saw that coming?

Old 02-13-2009, 08:32 PM

Sounds to me you really like the bike gig. If your going to be working long 16 hour days might as well be doing it around stuff you enjoy. The heavy equipment gig sounds like long, slow days with lots of waiting around. And from the little info of your first few days i dont like it. Go hear, go there ,be ready at this time..... Blahh... Either way your going to burn a bridge, but something tells me if you make the wrong choice another door somewhere else in this industry will open up.... Plus you get a company credit card, spend no money of your own,ride custom bikes only people can see on tv, and get to sleep at quality hotels and shower everyday like a normal person. Hands down sounds like thats the ideal position. I remeber i quit a good gig and wish i never did, and eventaully crawled back, i was happy to be back tho because in between i worked some real ****ty jobs. Really made me appreciate the old job.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Default Quick Update

I'll try and make this quick, I gave my 2 weeks notice to Wylie back on the 19th. They didn't have anything for me to do so they brought me back to Fargo last Wednesday and tried to get me to stay and haul blades. I told them I needed to go home and talk to Big Dog, spend some time with the family and think about it. They bought me a plane ticket home and asked me to let them know this past Monday. Well after talking it over with the wife and kids I decided to stick with me decision to go back to Big Dog. I let Wylie know Monday morning, they called me back yesterday to try one last time to talk me into staying but I had already been into Big Dog Monday afternoon and gone back on the payroll. I was oficially going to start back to work on the 2nd (I went on the payroll and took a week of unpaid vacation so I could get my health insurance back on March 1st instead of having to wait till April 1st.) I was supposed to fly out to Daytona on Tuesday the 3rd to work the second half of bike week but I guess I will have to miss it.

The head of marketing just called me an hour ago and asked me if I would cut my vacation short and come back tomorrow so I can take 14 show-bikes out to California for a photo shoot with a couple of magazines at the Queen Mary starting next Tuesday morning at 05:00 am. So I guess I'm going back to work sooner than I anticipated.

I'll start a new thread and try and post some pictures.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Senior Board Member

I would like to see photos from the show circuit.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Well at first, I was leaning hard towards staying where your at, but the more I read your post, I dont think going back to the motorcycle hauler would be a bad idea either.

The guy at you stepped down for was with them for 12+ years. How many drivers do you think have been at you current company for 12+ years. Maybe a few, but probably not many.

Then, since pap busted his back, that would make you #1 driver, and if there is another layoff period, you would still have a job (assuming they operate the same as they did the first time).

Your money there IS predictable and thats a good thing. You have no expenses but cigs.

The owner of the cycle gig seems to treat his employees pretty damn good.

Well, now that I just scrolled down and saw that you decided, I'm done making my points. Good job, Good luck!
Lets see some pics.

Adapt and overcome.