User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Are you guys and gals tired of these companies using the bad economy as an excuse for a policy like this. Higher health insurance premiums, lower wages, no more company matches on 401k, no paid sick days, etc. These are the companies that need to fail, don't let them do this or they will be the only ones left. The drivers seem to be the only ones willing to bend over and accept this. Hopefully someday truckers will unite and stop this by unions or some other way. Trucking companies need to past the cost to their customers and quit taking away from drivers. Stop supporting these companies.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Lips View Post
And many of you guys cry when someone bashes the typical OTR jobs out there, but this is the type of things that make one despise these carriers.
I don't remember anyone sticking up for the carriers, but I would never knock a guy for not giving up his job in this market. If a local job works for you and you think it's the greatest thing since slice bread, why do you have to bash those that don't think that way?

Old 01-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Senior Board Member

I just love it when someone comes along and tells everyone what a comfortable temp range is to sleep. Besides that it can be comfortable to sleep at 65 degrees air temp at night but miserable to do it during the day.

As I have posted many times I would love to see a federal law passed that requires APU's on all sleeper equipped trucks and for those APU's to be included on the parts and accessories needed for safe operation so companies would have to keep them working.

Company idle policies like this as well as anti-idling laws only strive to make true safety an unwanted bastard step child.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
I don't remember anyone sticking up for the carriers, but I would never knock a guy for not giving up his job in this market. If a local job works for you and you think it's the greatest thing since slice bread, why do you have to bash those that don't think that way?

If your not going to stand for anything, you will probably fall for everything. Where will the American truck driver, in particular the OTR guys, draw the line at? You are free to work where and as you please, but that still entitles me to my own opinion. You want to be punished for being comfortable, more power to you. Anbody else find it incredibly hilarious all
the company drivers talking about their electric blankets? That sure cracks me up.

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
But I'm putting money on you driving a desk for a living not a truck....
am I reading this wrong, or was I seriously just accused of not being a truck driver? :lol:

before anyone else makes this damning charge, I am sitting in TMC unit 91374 hooked to trailer 33064 unloading grain bins in Conway, NC. my date of hire was 4/11/08 and I have put exactly 91,128 miles on unit 91374 since being assigned to it.

I could take a picture in front of the truck holding my photo ID, a recent paystub and a USA Today with today's date, but that would be kinda hard to post from my Blackberry.

only responded with such sarcasm because I usually don't engage in these sorts of discussions, but this was too hilarious not to respond to. like I said to the Werner driver who tried to run me off I65 yesterday," turning my radio off now."

placing cash bets on a forum member's employment has to be a CAD exclusive though :lol:
Old 01-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterbeauford View Post
am I reading this wrong, or was I seriously just accused of not being a truck driver? :lol:
He's made that same claim of others, including myself. It's a tired old argument that he's tried using countless times before.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
He's made that same claim of others, including myself. It's a tired old argument that he's tried using countless times before.

Well if he's a driver and actually lives like that for Mr Annette then I question his sanity not his occupational credentials . I bet that guy that got run over by the DATS driver was just a driver trying to stay idle compliant who had no fresh batteries for his 12v heating pad ,and got curled up by the engine of the DATS truck for warm place 2 sleep .
Old 01-29-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
Well if he's a driver and actually lives like that for Mr Annette then I question his sanity not his occupational credentials . I bet that guy that got run over by the DATS driver was just a driver trying to stay idle compliant who had no fresh batteries for his 12v heating pad ,and got curled up by the engine of the DATS truck for warm place 2 sleep .
Are you off your meds?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:28 PM

I sorta wish I still drove my desk, whole nother story there.

I certainly see your point, but again, I sleep just fine and safely put in my 12-14 (sometimes 16) hours day in and day out.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Board Regular

This whole thing sort of reminds of how some people feel about camping.

When I go camping I do it with a backpack. I will eat gorp for 3 or 4 days.

I have some very dear friends who think "camping" means their 30-some foot long travel trailer with double pop-outs. Their favorite "campground" is an RV park with full concrete pull-throughs and not a piece of bare dirt in sight. They were amazed to hear my back-country stories; "You mean you just sleep on the ground!"

I met up with a friend who does 48 state OTR this week. He has every convenience known to man in his truck. He was surprised at how little gear I have in mine, even considering that I'm home every weekend. I just don't need all the crap. Back in the late 70's & early 80's I stayed out 6 weeks at a time- west of the Mississippi plus BC, AB & SK. I didn't have any more stuff in the truck with me than I carry now. There wasn't any room in an 86" cabover. No APU, no bunk heater and on the rare occasions when the AC in the truck actually worked I wouldn't idle to stay cool at night. With $1479.08 per month truck payments I was too broke to buy many motel rooms too.

I don't think anybody is putting a gun to Carter's head telling him he has to do it his way & I don't think anyone should demean him because he's man enough to do it that way.

-Jack Kerouac, "Mexico City Blues"