User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

These 30% of moving run time is impossible to meet at 2500 miles in the heart of winter/summer ,as it is only about 25hrs ,which does not even cover your 8hrs sleeper birth portion of a 10hr break ,as in 5 days you are at 40hrs and 56 in 7 days . The problem is the low rent types who will sweat/freeze and live like a hobo to accomodate such ridiculous policy ,as they give the company leverage out of doing right .

It would be great to see some lawsuits brought against these carriers when drivers fatigued from poor rest created from sleeping poorly in an attempt to meet the guidlines of an idle policy are involved in accidents .
Old 01-27-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
These 30% of moving run time is impossible to meet at 2500 miles in the heart of winter/summer ,as it is only about 25hrs ,which does not even cover your 8hrs sleeper birth portion of a 10hr break ,as in 5 days you are at 40hrs and 56 in 7 days . The problem is the low rent types who will sweat/freeze and live like a hobo to accomodate such ridiculous policy ,as they give the company leverage out of doing right .

It would be great to see some lawsuits brought against these carriers when drivers fatigued from poor rest created from sleeping poorly in an attempt to meet the guidlines of an idle policy are involved in accidents .
wishful thinking, I see your point but I can sleep relatively comfortably down to about 15 degrees with a 12v heated blanket. the only time I need to idle all night is when it is 15 or below.

don't get me wrong, I am not saying I enjoy it, my queen bed with flannel sheets and a Sealy mattress at home is a little nicer, but it doesn't affect my sleep to the point where I am dangerous on the road.

if I am running hard, below 30% is no problem. if I am sitting for the weekend empty and its 0 degrees out, yeah it sucks. I parked at home for the weekend, 6 degrees Mon morning and it started. if not I have jumper cables and a pickup truck with a big alternator and 2 batteries. running the truck all weekend to prevent a jump start is going to kill my idle %. they can't have it both ways.

legislation is not going to fix anything, if it got that bad I would just find a company that had APUs. though I sincerely hope if I am still with TMC, their new trucks have at least something.

Last edited by carterbeauford; 01-27-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Does anyone get the idea that company owned trucks may eventually be on the decline? With all the issues, I envision companies making moves to utilize more owner ops. I know I would. Then I would only be out a percentage of the load or a mileage rate. No fuss. Especially with the threat of universal EOBR's and other ideas coming from FMCSA. Probably why the carrier I am with is on a virtual hold in hiring company drivers and still taking O/O. Company trucks here were a minority already and the ratio will decline.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterbeauford View Post
wishful thinking, I see your point but I can sleep relatively comfortably down to about 15 degrees with a 12v heated blanket. the only time I need to idle all night is when it is 15 or below.

don't get me wrong, I am not saying I enjoy it, my queen bed with flannel sheets and a Sealy mattress at home is a little nicer, but it doesn't affect my sleep to the point where I am dangerous on the road.

if I am running hard, below 30% is no problem. if I am sitting for the weekend empty and its 0 degrees out, yeah it sucks. I parked at home for the weekend, 6 degrees Mon morning and it started. if not I have jumper cables and a pickup truck with a big alternator and 2 batteries. running the truck all weekend to prevent a jump start is going to kill my idle %. they can't have it both ways.

legislation is not going to fix anything, if it got that bad I would just findcrash landed a company that had APUs. though I sincerely hope if I am still with TMC, their new trucks have at least something.

Well doing what you're doing is laughable and wrong ...Sure if it was your truck and you decided you wanted to operate like this then fine ,but when you do it to meet a company idle policy that's just funny .
Old 01-28-2009, 01:27 AM
Rookie
Default Dirt Bag Outfit

How can people work for such scum buckets. The use of scripture is blasphemy. May they rot in hell.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
Well doing what you're doing is laughable and wrong ...Sure if it was your truck and you decided you wanted to operate like this then fine ,but when you do it to meet a company idle policy that's just funny .
well then what are my other options? if I start putting up bad numbers I get fired. but dammit I'm a truck driver and I can work anywhere I please, because I make the rules. I have a good job and do what my company asks, yes that's hilarious.

I laugh when I see trucks idling all night anytime it drops.below 45. its called being responsible. its about 20 outside and I am comfortable. I don't particularly like to listen to this thing rattle all night anyways. objectively wrong? I have only ever been dead tired due to lack of sleep maybe twice in my time here, and neither time had anything to do with the temperature.

an APU would be NICE was my main point.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterbeauford View Post
well then what are my other options? if I start putting up bad numbers I get fired. but dammit I'm a truck driver and I can work anywhere I please, because I make the rules. I have a good job and do what my company asks, yes that's hilarious.

I laugh when I see trucks idling all night anytime it drops.below 45. its called being responsible. its about 20 outside and I am comfortable. I don't particularly like to listen to this thing rattle all night anyways. objectively wrong? I have only ever been dead tired due to lack of sleep maybe twice in my time here, and neither time had anything to do with the temperature.

an APU would be NICE was my main point.
If your company is asking you to live like this then I would seriously re-think saying I had a good job ,and yes if you openly accept this treatment it's sad/hilarious ...But I'm putting money on you driving a desk for a living not a truck...But as to the numbers ...yes ,because if people would insist on being allowed the basics of heat in winter/cool air in summer then maybe the company would find it more priority to equip the trucks correctly to meet their idle requests ,but why bother when jim bob is willing to live like a redneck sleeping in a tent on a hunting trip during his trips in order to do what ..."his comany asks".
Old 01-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Senior Board Member

One final thoughT...Did TMC even buy or reimburse you the cost of that heating pad you are using to keep from getting hypothermia ? LOL .
Old 01-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Board Regular

Why on earth would anyone drive ,willingly, for these companies? If you stay and work for Star after this policy is enacted you are a F'N IDIOT. Do they deduct additional funds from the office workers so that they may remain warm in cold weather and cool in hotter temps? Where will it end? And many of you guys cry when someone bashes the typical OTR jobs out there, but this is the type of things that make one despise these carriers.

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:42 PM
Senior Board Member

If you can sleep comfortably at 15f, that's fine. Myself, I can't. Also, what's the company say to you when you've had the truck shut off all night when the temp is 15f and there's a 50mph wind, causing your fuel to gel. Now they have to pay a fortune to get a service truck out there to get the tanks warmed up.

Sorry - I shut down when it's comfortable for ME to do so. I can't get restful sleep if I'm too hot or too cold and that's the bottom line. No sleep = not safe.