User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 05:35 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default JB Hunt / PPG Dedicated account

i have an offer from jb hunt to go on the ppg dedicated account. was told it pays .38/mile and was told about all the other particulars. was hopin for some input if anyone has anything on this, so it can help me make a decision..thanks!!
Old 01-06-2009, 06:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acip View Post
i have an offer from jb hunt to go on the ppg dedicated account. was told it pays .38/mile and was told about all the other particulars. was hopin for some input if anyone has anything on this, so it can help me make a decision..thanks!!
In todays economy anything with the word dedicated sounds like a good deal. Sure would beat hanging around the truck stop wondering when the next load is coming.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:30 PM

On that account in particular you will work for dispatchers who will try to drive your truck from their desk. You will spend a lot of your time looking for an empty trailer. You will have to fill out more paperwork(same ppw you fill out at jb orientation) and go through a ppg orientation. You may have to wait on a truck (it wont be long the turnover is pretty good). Miles wise it wasnt great. 1800 some weeks others it was more like 1400 if that. I did a lot of setting and put up with all the BS I could handle. I only spent 3 months on the account You only get the Hazmat bonus if you load it and unload it(complete the run) most of the time I would spend all day loading a hazmat and run it to a yard and drop. Then p/u another trailer with the same product and consignee and deliver that trailer.(thus no hazmat bonus) Hope you like the northeast! but what do I know im just some dumb rookie! my 2 cents
Old 01-07-2009, 03:00 AM
Rookie

no, no..i appreciate the input!! not exactly sure what i'm gona do. thank you.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Rookie

Take it from someone who drove that account recently...The supply primarily auto glass dealers and some residential. I ran my butt off and then sat for daysw. My recruiter said $850.00 per week average. Guess what, 1 month into the job they had major curbacks telling all the drivers to expect an average of @ 1000-1500 miles per week if you are lucky, and to expect to sit for several days. Here was my experience with them I have done a lot of Canada crossing, so as soon as they found that out I was grabbing loads from Buffalo and then taking them into a nothern town. I would run hard so I could get back to the states and a normal run, and they would come up with...Oh, we have someone that can't go to Canada, meet them in Buffalo for a switch. By the way This is only a run of less than 400 miles twice a week. For me..a miserable experience. I work hard and drive hars never late, but they like other big companies treat you as a P.O.C. thinking some poor soul will take your job if you do not like it. Just keep in mind...it is really bad out there when Schneider quits training people. Good Luck.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Rookie

Take it from someone who drove that account recently...The supply primarily auto glass dealers and some residential. I ran my butt off and then sat for daysw. My recruiter said $850.00 per week average. Guess what, 1 month into the job they had major curbacks telling all the drivers to expect an average of @ 1000-1500 miles per week if you are lucky, and to expect to sit for several days. Here was my experience with them I have done a lot of Canada crossing, so as soon as they found that out I was grabbing loads from Buffalo and then taking them into a nothern town. I would run hard so I could get back to the states and a normal run, and they would come up with...Oh, we have someone that can't go to Canada, meet them in Buffalo for a switch. By the way This is only a run of less than 400 miles twice a week. For me..a miserable experience. I work hard and drive hars never late, but they like other big companies treat you as a P.O.C. thinking some poor soul will take your job if you do not like it. Just keep in mind...it is really bad out there when Schneider quits training people. Good Luck.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulftime View Post

:lol2:

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Heh heh. Yet there are some that continue to question my logical mathematical approach. Unbelievable! Check this doozy out;

Let's be on the VERY VERY liberal side and estimate JB Hunt paying .40CPM.

Let's go exactly between 1000 and 1500 and call it 1250 miles for the week average.

1250 miles X .40CPM = $500.00 per week (gross)
52 weeks X $500.00 weekly = $26,000 annual (gross)
$500.00/168 hours in a week = $2.97 per hour. (this fits in nicely with my usual estimation of OTR pay being below $3.00 per hour in many cases.

Sitting for days at a time. Running only a couple of hundred miles per day?
I don't think so folks. That is barely enough money to support one's self for road expenses. Them's (sic) the facts jack! Manipulate them however you feel inappropriate. In the end, its all a losing game. The numbers speak for themselves.